Annan Athletic v Queen of the South League Cup 1st round

Goals are now on the Annan website I see. The quality of Weatherson's finish on the 3rd goal is even better than I gave him credit for at the time.

Angle isn't good on either of our second half goals but it looks like Hilson might have been offside when he set up the second. Lyle looks onside when he runs onto it though. I'm told Hilson's was a brilliant curling effort from the other side of the park. Angle doesn't do it justice.

Yes, brilliant finish from Weatherson for that goal. I'm pretty certain watching that though that his first goal wasn't his at all, and was instead an own goal by, I think, Russell.

For our second, I felt pretty sure at the time that Hillson was well offside, but the pictures make it look closer than I'd thought. Lyle too might have been offside, but the defender in the centre who saunters back with his hand in the air, instead of putting Lyle under pressure, perhaps played both on.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thomson for the second goal is embarrassing goalkeeping. Why didn't he go with his hands rather than a slide tackle. He was unlikely to he back but would have been nice to see him make an effort rather than stopping 6 yards out and watching. I think Jim has been unlucky not to have started the games so far and would give him the nod for Saturday.

Yes, brilliant finish from Weatherson for that goal. I'm pretty certain watching that though that his first goal wasn't his at all, and was instead an own goal by, I think, Russell.For our second, I felt pretty sure at the time that Hillson was well offside, but the pictures make it look closer than I'd thought. Lyle too might have been offside, but the defender in the centre who saunters back with his hand in the air, instead of putting Lyle under pressure, perhaps played both on.

Why did we not have a man actually on the front post ? Yeah last touch was beanys for sure.

Yes, brilliant finish from Weatherson for that goal. I'm pretty certain watching that though that his first goal wasn't his at all, and was instead an own goal by, I think, Russell. For our second, I felt pretty sure at the time that Hillson was well offside, but the pictures make it look closer than I'd thought. Lyle too might have been offside, but the defender in the centre who saunters back with his hand in the air, instead of putting Lyle under pressure, perhaps played both on.

I've watched it several times. At first I thought it did come off Russell's standing foot after he swung and missed at it with the other but the more I watch it the more I'm convinced Weatherson poke it in with his toe just in front of Beany.

Does anyone know where to find the 50/50 draw number from Saturday?

Can't see it on their website.

The 50/50 draw is run by the Supporter's Club, not the Football Club so it won't be on their website. Can't recall the winning number but I can confirm that it was successfully claimed on the afternoon. I was there when the winning ticket was handed over.

Thomson for the second goal is embarrassing goalkeeping. Why didn't he go with his hands rather than a slide tackle. He was unlikely to he back but would have been nice to see him make an effort rather than stopping 6 yards out and watching. I think Jim has been unlucky not to have started the games so far and would give him the nod for Saturday.

Do you mean the 3rd goal?

Didn't think the winning goal was over the line nothing on highlights to prove/disprove.

What did you guys make of it?

Looked over from where I was though not in line. Photo looks fairly conclusive. There was no complaint from any of the Annan players in the area at the time either, notably the keeper. The defenders reactions were to put head in hands not complain to the ref. That's fairly telling.

Do you mean the 3rd goal?

I presume he does. Not sure how you could blame the keeper for that one to be honest. He clearly thinks Jacobs is going to shield the ball back to him and goes down to collect it only for Jacobs to fairly inexplicably then pass it to him from about two yards away when he's already on his way down. Communication between the two of them could have been clearer but Jacobs trying to pass it back from that range was suicidal.

I've watched it several times. At first I thought it did come off Russell's standing foot after he swung and missed at it with the other but the more I watch it the more I'm convinced Weatherson poke it in with his toe just in front of Beany.

Right, I've just watched it more times than would suggest I'm stable and all I can see from the angle behind the corner taker, is what you describe as your first impression. I'm certain that it's Russell's standing leg that puts it in. I'm not sure that Weatherson even touches it and if he does, he doesn't appear to divert it at all.

Right, I've just watched it more times than would suggest I'm stable and all I can see from the angle behind the corner taker, is what you describe as your first impression. I'm certain that it's Russell's standing leg that puts it in. I'm not sure that Weatherson even touches it and if he does, he doesn't appear to divert it at all.

Coming back round to it now. I agree, it's gone in off Russell's standing leg (hits him on the ankle). I do think Weatherson gets a nick on it in front of him which is just enough to cause him to miss the ball but Weatherson's touch isn't going in and it's Russell who diverts it into goal.

Can't say I agree. At the time I would have put the blame on Jacobs. Looking at the highlights I'm more convinced it was his fault. Thomson was clearly on his way down and I don't believe Jacobs couldn't see that was the case. The pass was just awful. Either leave it or kick it tae f**k!

His boot is blocking the view but doesn't look like the whole ball is over the line to me.

Would agree with you here. The 'keeper's leg make it inconclusive to me. The ball appears to be overlapping the line, if only just. So for me it's not a goal, although I think if we were dead in line we'd have a better idea.

Can't say I agree. At the time I would have put the blame on Jacobs. Looking at the highlights I'm more convinced it was his fault. Thomson was clearly on his way down and I don't believe Jacobs couldn't see that was the case. The pass was just awful. Either leave it or kick it tae f**k!

Would agree with you here. The 'keeper's leg make it inconclusive to me. The ball appears to be overlapping the line, if only just. So for me it's not a goal, although I think if we were dead in line we'd have a better idea.

Taken from the other side it would be conclusive, as it is it looks like the ball is touching the line.

What is chapman slavering on about in his post match interview? No breaks went annans way? I know hes gutted about the defeat which was probably undeserved but it seems the sunshine on saturday has got to him as his heads completely melted giving that interview.

I presume he does. Not sure how you could blame the keeper for that one to be honest. He clearly thinks Jacobs is going to shield the ball back to him and goes down to collect it only for Jacobs to fairly inexplicably then pass it to him from about two yards away when he's already on his way down. Communication between the two of them could have been clearer but Jacobs trying to pass it back from that range was suicidal.

My bad didn't even see Jacobs touching it the first time.

Archived