Most famous / successful ex-player

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pat McMahon played for Yoker, then Kilsyth where he won a Scottish cup medal before going to Celtic. He did not see eye to eye with Jock Stein and was sold on to Aston Villa and then moved to Chelsea.

He went to USA to play and established a sports promotion business which did very well and is reputedly a multi millionaire.

Thanks Garrellburn- thank goodness someone made a success of their post junior / football career - any more out there ??

Thanks Garrellburn- thank goodness someone made a success of their post junior / football career - any more out there ??

The late Campbell Christie played in goal for Petershill around 1960ish, he later served for quite a few years as General Secretary of the STUC.

Ex Peasy defender Danny Scullion is currently a Sheriff at Hamilton Sheriff Court after a long career as a solicitor.

Wee Brian Goodwin,Celtic,Chelsea,Hamilton,etc,who later managed the very successful Thorniewood Utd BC ( began life as Blue Circle BC,as that's where the wee man worked at the time) must also be worth a mention,bud. ;)

Christ, how could I forget Brian, I worked at Blue Circle Ffs.

Chukwuma Osazuwa played for Dunbar, Haddington and Musselburgh before switching codes and winning the egg chasing title with Heriots FP..

John Wheatley played for Shettleston before becoming Lord Advocate in 1947, then a Judge and a Life Peer as Baron Wheatley.

Kelty's had a few Jim Leishman was our manager in the early eighties, as was Jim McArthur ex Hibs goalie. In the nineties Big Andy Tod learned his trade before going to do well in the seniors, Colin Cameron ex Raith, Hearts, Wolves and Scotland. Dave Beaumont Ex Dundee United (UEFA Cup Final), Hibs (League Cup final) and Luton Town (League Cup Final at Wembley). Colin 'Bomber' Harris ex Dundee and Hibs.

We can hardly claim him as an ex-player although he did play in a pre-season friendly for Kilsyth Rangers in the early 60's, Brian Marjoribanks (pronounced MARSHbanks) went on to Hibernian as a striker. He had a very promising start in juvenile football with Airth Castle Rovers scoring a barrowload of goals but only played a few games for Hibs, and later Hearts.

He was no mean golfer either though; and became Scottish Amateur champion. He presented Sportscene with BBC Scotland for very many years.

His son, also Brian, is a sportswriter with the Daily Mail, no idea if he ever played football.

Defender Willie Bell who played for Leeds Utd through the 1960's. Played in the 1965 FA Cup Final and once was up against Eusebio and Pele two weeks in a row. Later became manager of Birmingham City.

Tommy McMillan who won the 1970 Scottish Cup with Aberdeen.

Dixie Deans of Celtic fame.

Peter Weir is the most successful with 2 Premier League titles, 3 Scottish Cups, 1 League Cup, a European Cup Winners Cup and a UEFA Super Cup.

In our previous incarnation as Neilston Victoria, Bobby Templeton was a Farmer's Boy who went on to play for, then manage Hibs from 1911 to 1936.

Although he didn't play for us, current vice president of the club Denis Connaghan won a league title and Scottish Cup with Celtic and was the goalkeeper for the two infamous matches between Celtic and Atletico Madrid in 1974.

You missed one, Ian Young ex Neilston Waverly started Celtics European cup winning campaign as first choice right back before losing his place to Jim Craig and I 'believe' he's in the Celtic Song but I don't know the words so can't confirm.

PS Dennis was in goals when Celtic clinched 9 in a row

As far as Arthurlie go in the senior days there were four capped for Scotland while at the club plus at least another three internationals played, as did Rangers legend Bob McPhail, one game only though, before their demise in 1929 but that's cheating.

As a junior club Arthurlie lost players to senior clubs at an alarming rate, one season saw six go to Celtic alone.

Jock Kelly Scottish internationalist as was John Anderson are two while Tommy Sloan win the Scottish cup with Motherwell, in more recent times James Grady, Mark McLaughlin had great careers after leaving Dunterlie while on a side note a recent player who was with Arthurlie, I believe, on three seperate occasions, and finished last season with Rossvale, Pedram Ardellany, was the first player to play professional football in Scotland from Iran when he turned out for Ian McCall's Partick Thistle, maybe not famous but noted!

You missed one, Ian Young ex Neilston Waverly started Celtics European cup winning campaign as first choice right back before losing his place to Jim Craig and I 'believe' he's in the Celtic Song but I don't know the words so can't confirm.

PS Dennis was in goals when Celtic clinched 9 in a row

I'm sure RRG will be able to help out with that one,Nuge. ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Shettleston juniors. Tommy Docherty, Davie whyte ex Rangers manager, Bobby Russell, Joe McBride, Tommy Coyne and Alec Cheyne the player who's goal against England started the Hampden Roar! To mention a few.

Not really fame or success but Stevie "Angus Doyle" Mallan scored a goal in Shot at Glory. There must be a couple of other Juniors stoating about in this utter pish!

https://youtu.be/estM__fIW1I?t=40m20s

Interesting clip,bud and,although their names can't be found in the final credits,it's surely worth mentioning that Duvall's dressing room entrance was said to have been choreographed by none other than Rab Sneddon,and that his voice coach for the duration of the movie was the equally famous Groundskeeper Willie. :huh:

As for the rumour that wee Ally's managerial methods at Ibrox were based mainly on Bobby's Kilnockie example,well.... :unsure2:

ETA Yup,definitely Willie.........

Interesting clip,bud and,although their names can't be found in the final credits,it's surely worth mentioning that Duvall's dressing room entrance was said to have been choreographed by none other than Rab Sneddon,and that his voice coach for the duration of the movie was the equally famous Groundskeeper Willie. :huh:

As for the rumour that wee Ally's managerial methods at Ibrox were based mainly on Bobby's Kilnockie example,well.... :unsure2:

ETA Yup,definitely Willie.........

Duvall's Scottish accent might just be the worst thing ever committed to celluloid!

Archived