The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

He has a point.

See Adrian Durham, Katie Hopkins even Donald Trump for examples of people who will talk nonsense simply to anger the mob and get attention.

These folk are notorius for doing it for attention on a daily basis and being immune to the criticism. The guy Sargent seemed to genuinely believe what he was saying before going in the huff.

These folk are notorius for doing it for attention on a daily basis and being immune to the criticism. The guy Sargent seemed to genuinely believe what he was saying before going in the huff.

They get plenty criticism, it is in fact why they are still on the go.

If nobody reacted they wouldn't have a job.

They get plenty criticism, it is in fact why they are still on the go.

If nobody reacted they wouldn't have a job.

When I said immune to it I meant it bounces off them, they don't give a f**k about it.

You could imagine Sargent risking short circuiting his laptop with the tears flooding into it.

Yeah, us, County and Hamilton should all spend 5k a week on better players and push Aberdeen for 2nd so that were getting 6,000 each week. Then we'll truly deserve to be in the Premiership.

The 'Hibs should be in the Premiership' argument always makes my chuckle. Rangers and Hearts were there for off field issues, and of course rightly so, they cheated. Hibs were just fucking toilet and were by far the worst team in the league from about November 2013 onwards.

Once again, a journalist can't grasp that senior clubs exist outwith the 42 club SPFL set-up.
No name attributed to this article on the BBC site.
Just after the final picture, East Kilbride FC are specifically labelled as 'non-senior'. This ignorance really is beyond a joke now!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35416720

Stuart & Tam aren't exactly immune either.

Do you think after all the hoo-ha at the semi final last season, you'd expect people to remember who Josh Meekings is?

They were talking about Meekings a couple of weeks ago and trying to remember who he played for. Stuart suggested Killie at one point.

Stuart & Tam aren't exactly immune either.

Do you think after all the hoo-ha at the semi final last season, you'd expect people to remember who Josh Meekings is?

They were talking about Meekings a couple of weeks ago and trying to remember who he played for. Stuart suggested Killie at one point.

Spot on! They are often petty and I'll informed

Last night and tonight, the narrative on Sportsound is that thistle have been inconsistent lately, and that after the Celtic defeat we've hit the skids.

Am I wrong in saying that we've only lost to Dundee since that game, and that we've lost twice since October?

Cant spend 2 mins looking at results!

Edited by bad chad

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/one-year-toon-five-joining-7301762#DbFL9DBiIy4PAJGq.97

The good old Record, after extensive research, has tracked down the 5 Newcastle loanees to Rangers. The extensive research obviously didn't go as far as check the division that the teams Bigirimana and Ferguson joined are in. Crediting Coventry and Millwall with Championship status.

Does it occur to them to get someone interested in football to do some articles?

Last night and tonight, the narrative on Sportsound is that thistle have been inconsistent lately, and that after the Celtic defeat we've hit the skids.

Am I wrong in saying that we've only lost to Dundee since that game, and that we've lost twice since October?

Cant spend 2 mins looking at results!

In the month since Celtic leading up to last night we'd played 2 league games, drawing 1 and losing 1 (the Dundee game you mention). Going into the Celtic game we were on a 6 game undefeated streak having won 4, drawn 2 and kept 3 cleans sheets in a row.

It's hardly a stretch for them to say that we've not been as good since the Celtic game even if there's only 2 league games between then and last night to judge it on.

Only just seen them tonight but last night's tweets from Neil Sargent are doing my fucking head in. I take it he's a news hack because he doesn't have a clue about football. Although, I suppose that wouldn't necessarily rule him out of being a sports journalist here.

On my phone so can't be arsed copy and pasting - but he's basically saying teams like Ross County, Inverness CT and St. Johnstone shouldn't be in the "elite league" due to their attendances.

I can't stand journalists who clamour for Rangers and Hibernian to get "back where they belong" at the expense of teams like Hamilton. Rangers were fucking liquidated because they were reckless with their finances and Hibernian were relegated for on the pitch matters only (they were just pish, with pish players). Hamilton meanwhile bring through academy players and don't spend recklessly, but "for the good of the Scottish game" we need them down and the 'big clubs' back. What a load of nonsense.

Yes, well, if attendances were the yardstick we'd probably have a top flight of three and a league sponsored by Horlicks.

Possibly been mentioned before, but the BBC Scottish Gossip Column never has any gossip in it, just two line descriptions of things that have definitely happened.

Also the overuse of the word 'insist'. Why are players/managers always insisting things? Can they not write 'is of the opinion that', 'believes', 'assert', 'claim' 'vow' etc etc - some imagination in the text would be nice.

Today

Former Celtic striker Chris Sutton insists the club's hierarchy made a "massive mistake" by keeping Deila as manager.

Lee McCulloch insists he has given no thought to the possibility of being given the Kilmarnock manager's job on a permanent basis. McCulloch takes charge of the side for the Scottish Cup tie with Rangers after the resignation of Gary Locke. (Daily Mail)

Partick Thistle manager Alan Archibald insists Steven Lawless will not be distracted by talk of a possible move to Dundee United. (Scottish Sun)

Centre Matt Scott says some of his team-mates were so fired up to face England when they last visited Murrayfield in 2014 they were moved to tears, before surrendering to a 20-0 defeat. Scott insists the Scots will not let emotion hinder their performance on Saturday. (The National)

Graham Gano insists the pressure of performing in front of a worldwide audience will not affect him when he takes the field for Super Bowl 50. The Scottish kicker will line up for Carolina Panthers against the Denver Broncos in San Francisco on Sunday. (Daily Record)

Clearly not isolated to football!

And finally an apology to Scotland. From today's AWAAT (A week at a time) column in The Weekend Australian.

AWAATING around the world game in 80 words:

• Our very own Hollywood starlet Naomi What?! — I mean Watts — has been made the honorary club president of non-league Welsh side Glantraeth FC which is based in the town of Malltraeth on Anglesey obviously. (Apparently her maternal grandparents owned a farm in Llangristiolus, not far from Glantraeth’s ground in Bodorgan, Middle Earth.)

Hearing she spent a couple of years at school in Llangefni Glantraeth, club secretary Stan Strickland had a crack and it paid off.

“It was a simple case of, ‘If you don’t ask, you don’t get’,” he told AWAAT’s lady over a hill and in a valley. “She has now got her publicist involved, so we could end up in the New York Times.” And The Weekend Australian buddy!

• Now he’s got previous for this sort of thing. But cycle response paramedic Catherine Maynard was somewhat taken aback when none other than Golden Balls arrived with a couple of warm beverages for her and her freezing patient. “All of a sudden, I looked up and saw someone who looked like David Beckham walking past us. He said hello and got in his car. I said to the man I was treating, ‘I think that was David Beckham’. Ten minutes later, he came back with a cup of coffee for me and a tea for the patient ... I was so chuffed. #BuyItLikeBeckham.”

• Poor old Socceroos and Valencia goalkeeper Mathew Ryan. That very nasty Lionel Messi went and blasted four goals past him in a crushing 7-0 defeat at the Nou Camp in the semi-final of the Copa Del Rey (and it’s only the first leg). But the good news is the attention is focused well and truly on their coach, former Man U defender-turned-pundit Gary Neville, who has gone eight La Liga games without a win. Fortunately for Nevile earlier last year in the warmth of the Sky Sports studio, he noted: “You see teams go to the Nou Camp and get beat 5, 6, 7-0 — Barca are a good side, well they’re a great side, but if I was involved with a team who got beat 7-0 there, I wouldn’t be able to look my family in the eyes any more.” On the plus side, Phil Neville is Venus de Milo.

Swimming in money

What a catch — did he use a cricket? Fifty-year-old self-employed concreter Lindsay Grundon this week snagged himself a $10,000 barramundi courtesy of the Top End’s Million Dollar Fish competition which saw 75 $10,000 tagged barramundi and one worth $1 million released at locations throughout the Northern Territory . “We didn’t really notice the Million Dollar Fish tag at first, it wasn’t until we put our glasses on that we could read what it said,” Grundon told AWAAT’s man in the wellies. “I’ll probably celebrate by fuelling up and going fishing again.”

With three weeks to go 69 more $10,000 barramundi remain to be caught in Top End waters — including the $1,000,000 fishy.

Snipping the rose

And finally an apology to Scotland. Congratulating non-league Linlithgow Rose FC on making the last 16 of the Scottish Cup despite the fact their captain Mark Tyrell was forced to miss the game because he was unable to swap his shift at the local sausage factory, AWAAT mistakenly referred to them as the first non-league team to achieve this. Not so:

The Rosey Posy are not the first as Elgin City made the last 16 in 1967-68 beating Arbroath 2-0 before losing away to Greenock Morton 1-2 in the quarterfinals. Elgin City were then a non-league club playing in the Highland League. What Linlithgow’s claim to fame is, is that they are the first team from the Scottish Junior league to make the last 16. Aussie international Jackson Irvine plays for their next opponent, Ross County.”

RW (not a Linlithgow Rose, Elgin City or Ross County fan.)

FYI the term “Junior” is nothing to do with age just a grade that existed late 19th/early 20th century in different areas of GB & Ireland.