The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

I don't buy the paper so can't comment on the article in question - but what always strikes me (with the notable exception of 'Off the Ball' yesterday tbf) is how poorly informed pundits or columnists are on Hampden. It is owned by Queen's Park. They aren't playing there on sufferance, nor as some kind of unwelcome squator. It belongs to them, and they lease it to the SFA, through Hampden Park Ltd which is owned by SFA.

Expecting them to move to Lesser Hampden - which could need significant work done - or to groundsharing Firhill or whatever is expecting them to move out of their own ground.

At the risk of deviating away from the main topic of the thread, its the SFA having that lease that has kept Queens Park in business, never mind playing at Hampden. They were in administration around 2000 because they hadn't agreed a deal on letting the stadium.

If the SFA walk away in 2020, Queens Park would have to sell the stadium off to the highest bidder, so they wouldn't be playing there anyway.

It's obvious that ground sharing with Queens Park is not working out. The SFA will either need to buy the stadium out right and evict the spiders, or move elsewhere.

At the risk of deviating away from the main topic of the thread, its the SFA having that lease that has kept Queens Park in business, never mind playing at Hampden. They were in administration around 2000 because they hadn't agreed a deal on letting the stadium.

If the SFA walk away in 2020, Queens Park would have to sell the stadium off to the highest bidder, so they wouldn't be playing there anyway.

It's obvious that ground sharing with Queens Park is not working out. The SFA will either need to buy the stadium out right and evict the spiders, or move elsewhere.

The SFA should infiltrate the Queen's Park board and have them wind up the team and merge with the SFA to gain ownership of Hampden.

The Sunday Sun never fails to disappoint.

Provan back to his 'diddy-bashing' best today. Queens Park being the latest team to feel his wrath.

Then you have Richard Gough saying he still doesn't understand why Rangers were placed in League Two.

That makes two of us Richard, mate.

A pair of zoomers.  If there was a campaign for Celtic and Rangers to play each other in a 2 team league, 38 times a season, that two would be the spokesmen for it IMO.

The SFA will...need to...move elsewhere.

The SFA Scottish football needs a neutral venue in Glasgow for it's beloved bigot fest semis and finals national stadium so it'll never happen.

Can't we outsource this turgid crap to Ireland.

I doubt they'd want it as they're really Irish. Better of in the US where they pretend to be Irish as much as the weegies.

Mark Hateley on 5Live telling us how much Scottish football has suffered while The The Rangers have been on their journey.

Former Old Firm players are like politicians - totally incapable of criticising their own mob or praising the other lot. When there was all the fuss a few years ago about Rangers getting to play a Scottish Cup semi-final at Ibrox Hateley spouted some nonsense on Sportsound about it being the "luck of the draw". Sadly whoever was speaking to him was too thick or scared to challenge him on this and it was left to the folk in the studio to point out it was nothing of the sort and it was the SFA who had decided where the game was to be played before the draw was even made.

Hateley in May 2013:

(Incidentally - Atletico Madrid won the next La Liga :lol:).

Mark Hateley has called for Rangers to be placed in the top tier next season in order to save Scottish football from collapse.

“It is a massive problem for Scottish football right now and it needs massive decisions,†said Hateley.

“You can talk about sporting integrity, but this is bigger than that. It’s about saving the Scottish game.

“If we carry on the way we are going, even if Rangers win the leagues and are back in two or three years time, it could be too late by then.

“If someone was hired to run a newly unified league body in Scotland, if I was being interviewed for that job, the first thing I would want is Rangers back in the top tier. You need to reconstruct from top to bottom and that would be my way forward. People are going to say I’m only saying that because I played for Rangers, but I am looking at it honestly.

“Nobody wants to associate themselves with the SPL at the moment. You can do anything with reconstruction, you have a blank canvas. So you do what is right for Scottish football and that is having your best football clubs in your top tier. That attracts all the good things football needs.

“It is about understanding the Scottish game. To generate interest in the Scottish game, Rangers and Celtic are the top two in terms of commercial backing. Look at the Glasgow Cup final on Monday night. There were 6,000 people there for an under-17 Old Firm game. That is Scottish football, Rangers and Celtic, we’ve said it for many years.

“If you were to take Real Madrid out of the top tier of Spanish football, what would it be like? A one-horse race and nobody shows any interest or puts any investment into a one-horse race.

“The phrase sporting integrity might be used but sporting integrity is to save the football clubs. Rangers are down in the Third Division but they’ve done their time. The biggest picture is the good of Scottish football and it is not about what has happened in the past. It’s all about saving Scottish football.â€

Edited by HibeeJibee

Its easy money to become an old firm pundit. Just fan the flames, not too much and watch the morons lap it up.

Much easier than actually researching teams, players and games. There's dozens of these dummies getting paid a fortune.

It's become a gravy train and the thought of actually having to do the above terrified them. Hence the meltdown comments.

Like an abusive partner telling the abused you'd be nothing without me.