The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

29 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

The Daily Record "Power Ranked" all signings by Premiership clubs here.

Their criteria: 

"You get five points for every signing and then each new player is graded from 1-10. You are also awarded an extra 10 points for every star signing. It’s then totalled up and finally ranked in a league table."

Bizarre system weighted in favour of clubs who have signed the most players (Rangers) and also including 10 points for a "star signing" which, surprisingly enough, only 2 clubs have managed to acquire. Funnily enough, this "star signing" rating has elevated Celtic into 2nd place, ahead of Aberdeen. 

Best of all, since Killie have signed so many players they were all given ratings of 2/3/4 out of 10 in order to keep them low enough down in the table :lol:

Absolute drivel from the Record, as should be expected. 

That is just the biggest pile of shite I have ever seen. Complete garbage. As Scarf says, the DR really couldn't suck Rangers off any harder if they tried. Ranking some of those Rangers nobodies who, whilst they might have some potential, have barely played a game of football, get higher ratings than Miles Storey for Aberdeen. 

Against my better judgement I clicked on that Daily Record article. It is utterly bizarre.

There own (made up) rules say you get 5 points for each signing. Then they come to Kilmarnock  and say since Killie have made 11 signings we are taking points of them since they let a lot of players go but Rangers who have signed 9 (not a huge amount less than 11) get their full quota of points despite also letting a lot of players go.

I am away to wash my eyes out with bleach

23 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Da fuq?

IMG_1469816098.809477.jpg

Neil Cameron's an odd one. He wrote a massively disrespectful article about why it's ridiculous Rangers should have to play at grounds like ours, saying we'd never done anything of note and it's unfair Rangers have to play in such "dumps".

I wrote a response to it on the comments section of the website. Nothing against him, but showing that his disrespectful article was - in many places - untrue. As everyone knows I can rant a lot, so this was about 800 words dismantling his article.

It got posted, received a host of "thumbs ups" and then was deleted about 3 hours later. I posted another comment asking why it was taken down as I'd read the rules, and broken none of them - no response. Then he goes and posts this:

I never got a response, nor did any of the fans asking why he felt the need to write such a bizarre and unprovoked article after a 6-0 Rangers win where the only controversy was Kenny Miller using his hand for the opener.

Neil Cameron's an odd one. He wrote a massively disrespectful article about why it's ridiculous Rangers should have to play at grounds like ours, saying we'd never done anything of note and it's unfair Rangers have to play in such "dumps".

I wrote a response to it on the comments section of the website. Nothing against him, but showing that his disrespectful article was - in many places - untrue. As everyone knows I can rant a lot, so this was about 800 words dismantling his article.

It got posted, received a host of "thumbs ups" and then was deleted about 3 hours later. I posted another comment asking why it was taken down as I'd read the rules, and broken none of them - no response. Then he goes and posts this:

I never got a response, nor did any of the fans asking why he felt the need to write such a bizarre and unprovoked article after a 6-0 Rangers win where the only controversy was Kenny Miller using his hand for the opener.

Full disclosure: I didn't read the article, for all I know it could have been some insightful musing on the nature of post-truth/post-fact culture on Scottish football. IDK.

As headlines go though it's utterly baffling and seems preposterous that it's even remotely being suggested that a point of conversation that was made up and was at no point either credible or believable. As I said in my post earlier this morning even Warburton was pishing himself at the story.

Utterly desperate stuff.

Edit: I've since read the article and it's every bit as bad as I suspected it'd be.

3 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Da fuq?

IMG_1469816098.809477.jpg

It was a story fabricated by Celtic fans to troll The Rangers fans for f**k sake. How thick are these people? Journalists are getting paid actual real money into their bank accounts for writing pish like this.

Only the Record would come to the conclusion we've had the worst transfer window this Summer. Our defeat of Rangers last year still seems to annoy them for some reason.

The Daily Record have went for cheap labour by filling their online deal with students or ones just out of university. They are so desperate for a job or any sort of recognition in the media that they will accept any wage to do it.

Likewise the fan bloggers are providing content for cheap too.

You get what you pay for unfortunately. Over the last year especially, the articles and the social media posts have been what you would expect of an amateur student rag.

20 hours ago, lubo_blaha said:

Their criteria: 

"You get five points for every signing and then each new player is graded from 1-10. You are also awarded an extra 10 points for every star signing. It’s then totalled up and finally ranked in a league table."

Bizarre system weighted in favour of clubs who have signed the most players (Rangers) and also including 10 points for a "star signing" which, surprisingly enough, only 2 clubs have managed to acquire. Funnily enough, this "star signing" rating has elevated Celtic into 2nd place, ahead of Aberdeen. 

Best of all, since Killie have signed so many players they were all given ratings of 2/3/4 out of 10 in order to keep them low enough down in the table :lol:

Pretty obvious no research has been done for that article. Looks like it has been put together by a Rangers fan who bases his knowledge of players who play for other teams on ''never heard of him, can't be that good''.

Their criteria: 

Matt Gilks > Neil Alexander

Oh aye.

The normally half decent Off The Ball contained the following mintertastic assertions today:

1) The chances of both Scottish teams remaining in Europe are "hanging by a thread" (both drew 1-1 in their first leg games)
2) Dundee reaching the European Cup semi final was the greatest European achievement by a Scottish team outside the Old Firm.
3) Danny McGrain at his peak was the best right back in the world.

1 hour ago, resk said:

The normally half decent Off The Ball contained the following mintertastic assertions today:

1) The chances of both Scottish teams remaining in Europe are "hanging by a thread" (both drew 1-1 in their first leg games)
2) Dundee reaching the European Cup semi final was the greatest European achievement by a Scottish team outside the Old Firm.
3) Danny McGrain at his peak was the best right back in the world.

Yup.