10   Kilmarnock 17   3 2 4 23 21   2 1 5 9 15   -4 18
11   Aberdeen 14   2 2 3 12 18   3 1 3 13 11   -4 18
12   St. Mirren 16   2 2 5 13 20   3 1 3 8 13   -12 18
13 Up Dundee United 16   3 2 2 16 12   1 3 5 11 21   -6 17
14 Down Dundee 18   1 4 4 7 11   3 1 5 16 19   -7 17
15   Inverness CT 17   3 3 4 11 15   1 1 5 6 17   -15 16
16 Up Hearts 17   1 1 5 5 11   2 5 3 13 16   -9 15
17 Down St. Johnstone 15   1 2 6 5 12   2 3 1 8 7   -6 14

I'd far rather they used a table that showed what they spent on youth development over a 5 or 10 year period, how many players they had for each year at each age group, what levels they played at and how many games they played at each level etc etc etc.

It would be complicated and a very time consuming table to set up(a lot easier with the technology available now) but it would show how good each team in Scotland had been at producing players relative to their individual level.

Ayr have produced or helped to produce an absolute shed load of players that have ended up in the Juniors or worse, that would be a demerit, players playing in League 2 would be a lesser demerit, players playing in leagues comparable to where they were over the previous time period would be positive and players playing at highers levels would gain incrementally greater positive marks.

Edited by ayrmad

2 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

To be fair to the journalists, in part they are expected to play upon Old Firm fans own delusions of grandeur.

There's one in my work who is adamant that his half are one of the biggest clubs in the world, has one of the biggest supports in the world, and deserves to be treated as such every time the mythical European League/Atlantic League crap starts doing the rounds.

By way of comparison, the Calcutta derby between Mohun Bagan & East Bengal regularly gets crowds of about 80 000 (whilst the rest of their league's clubs only scrape by on a couple of thousand at best - sounds familiar?) but no one outside of India gives a shit about them because they're two big clubs in a diddy league whose support is largely based around appealing to petty sectarianism & whose performances against clubs from outside their wee pond range from competent to embarrassing.

Indeed a rival India Super League has been set up along more professional lines specifically to circumvent the poisonous stranglehold those two sides have on the domestic game & appear to be having some success.

That's very interesting, my knowledge on Indian football isn't strong anyway, but that does seem scarily similar to where we are at the moment.

Spoiler

I'm definitely using this in the next conversation I have with an OF fan about this sort of stuff 8)

7 hours ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

The colts entering at League Two level has little to do with youth development, as the likes of McCartney suggests in his paper, but is about maintaining a Celtic/Sevco presence in Scotland IF they ever get an escape route to another league. Don't think I've read that in our press so far, though.

Absolutely spot on. We are currently going through the softening up process and it's just a matter of when.

5 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That's very interesting, my knowledge on Indian football isn't strong anyway, but that does seem scarily similar to where we are at the moment.

Hide contents

I'm definitely using this in the next conversation I have with an OF fan about this sort of stuff 8)

To give you an illustration of how utter fked up Indian football has become (which prompted the renegade Super League as a rejection of the I-League), in season 2013/14 Mohun Bagan's average attendance was 17068. However their match against East Bengal on November 24 2013 had 80 000 (& that was due to crowd restrictions enforced by the authorities forbidding them to maximise their stadium's 120 000 capacity in case the inevitable crowd trouble between the two broke out again) - so you can guess what the other matches were like. By contrast, Bangalore boasted getting near maximum attendances in their matches as India's sixth best supported club in the I-League... pity their stadium only hosts 8500. Again, all sounds rather depressingly familiar to our own two club dominated league.

There is a slight difference with the Indian comparison, though. The I-League has been running for 9 seasons now, and despite the massive disparity in crowds between them and the rest of the league, the two clubs combined only have one title to show for it (Mohun Bagan in 2014/15).

And even if you go back to the National Football League (which existed before it was branded as the I-League), the two of them won three titles apiece for the 11 years it ran. 6/11, which then becomes 7/20 if you combine the two different league entities, is hardly the kind of dominance we face here in Scotland.

Edited by Nightmare

Four Scottish Premiership games kicking off in just over an hour and the BBC WATP website is leading with a story about a convicted thug that played a handful of games for Rangers Int and is now no part of Scottish football. Disgraceful.

2 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Four Scottish Premiership games kicking off in just over an hour and the BBC WATP website is leading with a story about a convicted thug that played a handful of games for Rangers Int and is now no part of Scottish football. Disgraceful.

They must have read your post, it's not leading now.

We were playing Morgaro Gomis last night.

4e05229285502d610addb5de6901a309.jpg&key=faff9ffb1b6eb00a9261a422309fb14b9680675c778813877d4f264e54185afa

I was once driving to work and saw Gomis going to training when he was at the dabs. Without thinking I peeped my horn and gave him the middle finger. He stopped in his tracks, holding his wee boot bag and looked at me like he was genuinely hurt. I felt quite bad afterwards, but I got over it.

3 hours ago, K.T said:

I was once driving to work and saw Gomis going to training when he was at the dabs. Without thinking I peeped my horn and gave him the middle finger. He stopped in his tracks, holding his wee boot bag and looked at me like he was genuinely hurt. I felt quite bad afterwards, but I got over it.

We were playing QoS down at Dumfries a few years back and a guy I was with called Steve Tosh "a fucking ugly b*****d". The sadness in his eyes made me feel sorry for him as he knew it was true.

We were playing QoS down at Dumfries a few years back and a guy I was with called Steve Tosh "a fucking ugly b*****d". The sadness in his eyes made me feel sorry for him as he knew it was true.

It seems footballers don't have that easy a life after all. Victims of impulsive abuse on AND off the pitch. We are horrible people.

4 hours ago, K.T said:

35 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

We were playing Rangers about 10 years ago in the Scottish Cup, and Steven Smith was taking a throw-in right in front of a packed Jackie Husband Stand. He was a young player just coming through into a pretty decent Rangers team, and wasn't very well known at this point. As he picked up the ball, a guy down near the front shouted "Smith? Who the f**k are you?" - he turned around and looked at us, and seemed genuinely really upset.

Footballers have feelings.

I put Stuart McCall on his arse going into the changing rooms at Dunkeld House in the week up to the 1998 Scottish Cup Final. Not through violence but through pushing the door to the changing room more forcefully than him going in as he came out.

He's only a wee guy but was laughing about it as I helped him up off the floor! Didn't appreciate my "hope Hearts win on Saturday btw" comment though.....

Edited by sjc

On 24/12/2016 at 17:27, sjc said:

I put Stuart McCall on his arse going into the changing rooms at Dunkeld House in the week up to the 1998 Scottish Cup Final. Not through violence but through pushing the door to the changing room more forcefully than him going in as he came out.

He's only a wee guy but was laughing about it as I helped him up off the floor! Didn't appreciate my "hope Hearts win on Saturday btw" comment though.....

Maybe he hit his head on the way down: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-stint-lower-leagues-saved-9518386

On 24/12/2016 at 16:15, Nightmare said:

As he picked up the ball, a guy down near the front shouted "Smith? Who the f**k are you?" - he turned around and looked at us, and seemed genuinely really upset.

Footballers have feelings.

Maybe he was just really confused that someone used his name to ask who he was!

Edited by ALJAGS76
Obese Xmas fingers.

Sorry chaps but I can't resist reverting to the the not too popular, off topic Christmas Day chat for one more post as this appeared on twitter on Dec 25...

Saints On This Day ‏@SaintsOTD  Dec 25

St Johnstone play their first match at Muirton Park on this day in 1924 and around 12,000 fans see the team beat Queen's Park 2-1.

That is a strange one. Christmas Day to open your new ground! I never knew this. 12000 crowd too. What we'd give for that nowadays.

Right, indulgence over. Back to the Biased Broadcasting Corporation and their disgraceful output.