The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Around the same time they made up a b*****dized version of rugby and called it American football, then decided to started playing actual football and call it soccer. And we let them away with it and started calling it soccer too, its been a downward spiral into americanisms since.

The term "soccer" originated in Britain during the 19th Century.

The earliest usage of the term "football" was in the early 1990s.

7 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

It also contains the phrase "won a flick-on to give the visitors field position"

Haven't done a search but just assumed straight away whoever wrote it usually does American football or some other shite

I didn't read that bit...:lol:

I can actually understand what "final play of the game" is getting at, but "field position"?

Edited by Jacksgranda

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We've being calling it soccer for years...

They've been playing proper football for years too. I've personally never called football soccer, and it makes my hackles stand up every time i hear it called as such on the telly.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The term "soccer" originated in Britain during the 19th Century.

The earliest usage of the term "football" was in the early 1990s.

Nah mate i was born a few decades before that and it was called football. Never in my life said lets have a game of soccer when we played football as kids.

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

Nah mate i was born a few decades before that and it was called football. Never in my life said lets have a game of soccer when we played football as kids.

1 up to Richey...

12 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

1 up to Richey...

Bugger. He got me because the first part i've read before, though still never seen it described as soccer anywhere when football was started up officially.

Thought the 2nd part was some fallacy being put around that people started believing, like Rangers never died.

4 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Bugger. He got me because the first part i've read before, though still never seen it described as soccer anywhere when football was started up officially.

Thought the 2nd part was some fallacy being put around that people started believing, like Rangers never died.

Some things are just too preposterous to believe...

53 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

We've being calling it soccer for years...

Is soccer not an abbreviation of Association that they used way back in the 19th century to show it was different from rugby?

17 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Is soccer not an abbreviation of Association that they used way back in the 19th century to show it was different from rugby?

The posh folk at Oxford Uni, called Rugger (rugby)  Soccer (Assoccer - football).  As they added er to many names for the banter.

Posh folk still call it soccer and I remember politicians calling soccer right up to the 1990's.

Famously Thatcher with Soccer Thugs, for the Hillborough disaster and BBC news giving you the soccer results at the end of the program.

Think this mainly is an English thing.  However we have CSC & ASC

Edited by SlipperyP

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Yeah, think rugby was known as rugby football, and so what we know as football was a later invention and called 'association football' and later soccer to differentiate it.

I don't know if it was just posh people who called it soccer. As a term it seemed pretty fashionable in the 1960s and 1970s at a time when the game was expanding to new audiences, particularly in the US, which had its own weird interpretation of football. Hence World Soccer magazine etc.

Edited by Mr Heliums

20 hours ago, LiviLion said:

It also contains the phrase "won a flick-on to give the visitors field position"

Haven't done a search but just assumed straight away whoever wrote it usually does American football or some other shite

" field position "  John McEnroe !

1 hour ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I don't really like the term "soccer", but at least it's better than "footy", which can get in the bin.

"footy" is mainly the sole preserve of those who happily use terms like "pen" and "lino". They also invariably think that any ex footballer with a nickname (ie just adding a y" to the surname) is hilarious with their "bantz" which is largely derived from tales of dressing room japes and training ground bust-ups. The use of "mate" is a core part of their lexicon. 

13 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

A lot of Irish people I know call it soccer as well.

I don't really mind it. As noted above, miles better than "footy".

It makes more sense for Americans and Irish people to call it soccer (and, in Irish, sacar as distinct from peil, which is (Gaelic) football) because they have other, very popular sports that can also be called football.  While rugby is technically "Rugby football", nobody calls it that, so an alternative name for (association) football isn't needed here. 

20 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

Yeah, think rugby was known as rugby football, and so what we know as football was a later invention and called 'association football' and later soccer to differentiate it.

I don't know if it was just posh people who called it soccer. As a term it seemed pretty fashionable in the 1960s and 1970s at a time when the game was expanding to new audiences, particularly in the US, which had its own weird interpretation of football. Hence World Soccer magazine etc.

No it wasn't, they were playing football when William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and invented rugby.