The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

9 hours ago, The Master said:

If you read the article it goes on to say the third biggest "active" derby, since the Dundee Derby, Ayrshire Derby, Renfrewshire Derby, Lanarkshire Derbies, etc aren't being played this year. Seems fair enough to me, even though I'd say our rivalry with Falkirk is bigger than any with Raith.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

If you read the article it goes on to say the third biggest "active" derby, since the Dundee Derby, Ayrshire Derby, Renfrewshire Derby, Lanarkshire Derbies, etc aren't being played this year. Seems fair enough to me, even though I'd say our rivalry with Falkirk is bigger than any with Raith.

The clickbaity title is enough in itself to qualify for this thread, IMO. 

I can't put my finger on why I can't stand Nutmeg.

I think it's an inverse snobbery going back to reading people Graeme Speirs  where I have never liked the simple pleasures of Scottish football turned into pompous loquacious long reads. 

A bit of it is also that I'd rather read Hugh McIlvanney than really poor imitations of Hugh McIlvanney. He broke the sports long read by being too good.

On 08/03/2024 at 07:08, Salvo Montalbano said:

This is interesting. I've seen people take up both sides of that argument. I was recently told by a Par that he hates Airdrie far more than Rovers or Falkirk.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

This is interesting. I've seen people take up both sides of that argument. I was recently told by a Par that he hates Airdrie far more than Rovers or Falkirk.

I'd say if Airdrie were still the same club (titter) and hadn't been jobbing about for the last decade then there would be a lot more animosity between the two. When we had old First division games against Raith, Falkirk and Airdrie, the games against the Diamonds were properly nasty. Both in terms of the match (heavy tackles, late challenges, mouthing off to theqaq ref/fans) and the carry on in the terraces and round the ground (particularly at Broomfield where you'd often get cars broken into or wing mirrors snapped off since you parked in residential areas that weren't always the nicest and police presence was virtually nil). There was arguably more vitriol at Airdrie games, then Falkirk, then Raith (although Raith always had their sights on us, like with their famous "won't be playing in the UEFA Cup next season" programme notes). I don't mind Airdrie now but I guess if your formative years watching the Pars was during that era, you might still not be a fan.

22 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

I'd say if Airdrie were still the same club (titter) and hadn't been jobbing about for the last decade then there would be a lot more animosity between the two.

Oi! - that's our reasoning. Lanarkshire derby is the bottom of the heap now unfortunately as we almost never play Airdrie so any rivalry has died and Accies, despite becoming really quite annoying at their peak, have now disappeared again.

I worked at Rosyth Dockyard for a while in the 90's when Rovers were at their peak and even then - I got the impression from the Pars and Rovers supporters I worked with that it wasn't the most bitter of rivalries whereas Airdrie were fucking hated (my memory is that the ever lovely Airdrie supporters had interrupted a minutes silence or tribute of some sort for Norrie McCathie)

On 09/03/2024 at 11:20, invergowrie arab said:

I can't put my finger on why I can't stand Nutmeg.

I think it's an inverse snobbery going back to reading people Graeme Speirs  where I have never liked the simple pleasures of Scottish football turned into pompous loquacious long reads. 

A bit of it is also that I'd rather read Hugh McIlvanney than really poor imitations of Hugh McIlvanney. He broke the sports long read by being too good.

I always thought of Nutmeg writers as looking like this:

banter.jpg.8fdf1791aadba13c8e026c3b9cc015c1.jpg

That's why The Absolute Game worked- there were serious articles about sectarianism and turn the page and you got a humorous article about why Albion Rovers were utterly pish. 

There's some good articles in Nutmeg as well as some utterly bizarre stuff. There was a truly weird statty one a while back with someone trying to plot the geographical axis of power in Scottish football every season or something similarly mad. The cartoon/humour thing at the back is also pretty poor.

Some of the articles about actual football things are good.

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I always thought of Nutmeg writers as looking like this:

banter.jpg.8fdf1791aadba13c8e026c3b9cc015c1.jpg

That's why The Absolute Game worked- there were serious articles about sectarianism and turn the page and you got a humorous article about why Albion Rovers were utterly pish. 

As a former contributor to TAG I thank you and award a greenie.

Half time in the Morton Hearts game last night, the BBC showed a graphic of the ball numbers for the upcoming draw for the Women's Cup semi finals. 

They had ball numbers: 1, 2, 3 and

Somebody had one job to do................

4 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Half time in the Morton Hearts game last night, the BBC showed a graphic of the ball numbers for the upcoming draw for the Women's Cup semi finals. 

They had ball numbers: 1, 2, 3 and

Somebody had one job to do................

Did notice after Hearts goal that the score board had to be taken down as it was still displaying 0-0. I half expected it to reappear with Morten in the lead. 

On 09/03/2024 at 11:31, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I hate Airdrie (fascist wanks) more than Dunfermline but the big rivalry/derby match is with the Fifers.

Edited by Reggie Perrin

Report from the Ross County v Hibs match on BBC - "However, with the last play of the game County..."

When did the SPFL become American football?

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Report from the Ross County v Hibs match on BBC - "However, with the last play of the game County..."

Since Derek Rae first uttered the words "It's gone down to the wire"

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Around the same time they made up a b*****dized version of rugby and called it American football, then decided to started playing actual football and call it soccer. And we let them away with it and started calling it soccer too, its been a downward spiral into americanisms since.

5 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

It also contains the phrase "won a flick-on to give the visitors field position"

Haven't done a search but just assumed straight away whoever wrote it usually does American football or some other shite

6 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Around the same time they made up a b*****dized version of rugby and called it American football, then decided to started playing actual football and call it soccer. And we let them away with it and started calling it soccer too, its been a downward spiral into americanisms since.

We've being calling it soccer for years...