The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 15/03/2024 at 11:35, Jacksgranda said:

No it wasn't, they were playing football when William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and invented rugby.

That story is very unlikely to have been true, and was popularised by the school itself as propaganda to try and get power over the game at a time when league was putting its future in doubt.

From the good ol' BBC Gossip page

The SPFL may rearrange Sunday's postponed Dundee v Rangers game for 2 or 3 April, the midweek before Rangers host Celtic on 7 April. (Scotsman - subscription required)

Dundee are due to play Motherwell on 6 April which would be one day less rest, but that's not important.

Probably more for the tin pot thread if the SPFL are actually taking into consideration when the bigot derby is.

I know that this is news to nobody, but BBC Scotland's football coverage really does amount to downmarket, insulting pish these days.

Ryan Porteous delivered some mumbly platitudes in a press conference yesterday.  He had nothing of consequence to say, but it led the Sports News on the Radio this morning, it dominates the front of the website today and it got star billing on Reporting Scotland tonight.

I don't blame Porteous for delivering nothing interesting (apart from saying "lesser teams" when he clearly meant the opposite).  I do, however, blame the BBC for the witless, laziness of attempting to pin relevance and significance to any of it.  

I'm genuinely unsure whether it was ever thus, and I'm just more conscious of it now; or if the audience being treated as if composed of gormless children is on a sharp increase.

On 15/03/2024 at 10:42, KingRocketman II said:

"footy" is mainly the sole preserve of those who happily use terms like "pen" and "lino". They also invariably think that any ex footballer with a nickname (ie just adding a y" to the surname) is hilarious with their "bantz" which is largely derived from tales of dressing room japes and training ground bust-ups. The use of "mate" is a core part of their lexicon. 

Open Goal thread for this pish.

Not sure what's going on here, but hopefully nobody was waiting on the kick-off time for today's vital multiverse Nations League matches.

image.png.7796ee317227db3bb776f273dc5fcf18.png

4 hours ago, BFTD said:

Not sure what's going on here, but hopefully nobody was waiting on the kick-off time for today's vital multiverse Nations League matches.

image.png.7796ee317227db3bb776f273dc5fcf18.png

There is 1 relegation playoff 2nd leg today (Lithuania v Gibraltar).

Redrawn from the intended 2 ties, with Cyprus and Belarus as best ranked staying up automatically, due to Russia's demotion.

9 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

There is 1 relegation playoff 2nd leg today (Lithuania v Gibraltar).

Redrawn from the intended 2 ties, with Cyprus and Belarus as best ranked staying up automatically, due to Russia's demotion.

It's on Tuesday, isn't it?

I'm not convinced that at least some of the BBC's sport pages aren't generated by an AI. Weird stuff like this turns up fairly regularly without anyone seeming to notice.

On 20/03/2024 at 19:01, Monkey Tennis said:

I do, however, blame the BBC for the witless, laziness of attempting to pin relevance and significance to any of it.  

The BBC dahn sahf is transfixed by Manager/Player pre-match press conferences and is convinced that the general public is too. (Of course, perhaps the armchair moneybags league fanboys are.) It tends to be desperate stuff. Even genuinely interesting, intelligent blokes like Klopp looking bored and not wanting to be there, mumbling yes, we have injuries, tough game, difficult place to go, it's all about goals, a result at the end of the day. Albeit presented as if it's some wise man pronouncing on the meaning of life.

I've heard it suggested that it's because it's the nearest thing to live football the BBC gets, most of the time.

13 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

The BBC dahn sahf is transfixed by Manager/Player pre-match press conferences and is convinced that the general public is too. (Of course, perhaps the armchair moneybags league fanboys are.) It tends to be desperate stuff. Even genuinely interesting, intelligent blokes like Klopp looking bored and not wanting to be there, mumbling yes, we have injuries, tough game, difficult place to go, it's all about goals, a result at the end of the day. Albeit presented as if it's some wise man pronouncing on the meaning of life.

I've heard it suggested that it's because it's the nearest thing to live football the BBC gets, most of the time.

I think you’ve answered your own question there. A lot of the general public do love this stuff, and it isn’t limited to EPL fanboys. You take an hour press conference, all they really need is 30-60 seconds of content and they’ve got what they came for.

17 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

I feel sorry for the coaches when it comes to these things. They spend a lot of their time repeating conversations as they do press conferences, then they do club tv, then there might be a foreign company that's booked them in. All asking them basically the same stuff. Then pre-match they have tv, radio, club tv, foreign tv, all asking the same questions. Repeat after the match.

It's so much time spent on something that is utterly pointless.

I'd defy anyone to tell me anything interesting they've heard in a pre-match interview. And post-match is just the journalists playing on adrenaline and trying to get a controversy. Post-match interviews should be done the day after the game. Then they might be worth listening to.

17 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Sky have to fill Thursday & Friday daytime on their sports channels with something, the press conferences are an easy gap filler.

As Sky push them and give then so much coverage, it coverage by default as there is bugger else on, then the BBC is almost dragged into feeling they have to give it mass coverage. The sad part is although Sky are broadcasting on TV, the BBC can only cover on a live page of their website, barely more than a full colour with the odd photo version of Ceefax or the Vidiprinter.

19 hours ago, KirkieRR said:

Not sure why you've picked on the BBC here, Sky are way worse.

I wonder why the photo half-way down this article doesn’t mention which fans were responsible for the pyro at Dens in November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-68707052 

It’s possibly also possibly the “media are against my club” effect, but in the context of the whole article the wording of the caption suggests it was home fans responsible. 

3 minutes ago, The Master said:

I wonder why the photo half-way down this article doesn’t mention which fans were responsible for the pyro at Dens in November.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-68707052 

It’s possibly also possibly the “media are against my club” effect, but in the context of the whole article the wording of the caption suggests it was home fans responsible. 

It eventually mentions the incident - surely the worst but possibly least-reported pyro incident this season - in the second-last paragraph but doesn't link it to the pic.