The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

43 minutes ago, Darren said:

SEO plays a part in every player under the sun being called former Celtic or Rangers. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if The Daily Record has always done it.

I've done this for my own articles with Sons players and the difference it makes to views is incredible. 

I'm not judged on page views (thankfully) but for reporters who are it's an easy way to boost your figures.

On 11/04/2024 at 10:03, Dons_1988 said:

The old firm coverage is ridiculous but I think there has to be a reasonable acceptance that most of their readership will be old firm fans and the reference is just a way to draw them into reading the story. 

I was watching some EFL highlights at the weekend and a goal was scored by Joe Nuttall. Likely mean nothing to you but the name rang a bell so I googled and turns out I was right, he made two appearances for Aberdeen back early on in the mcinnes era. The only reason I googled him was a very passing association with Aberdeen. 

That mindset is all they’re leaning into with it and I don’t think it’s that unreasonable a tactic. 

Again, you're not wrong - but leaning into the Old Firm pandering mindset in a national newspaper exemplifies much of what's wrong with football reporting in this country.

43 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No links to Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh football on the BBC football website anymore?

Saw that and thought I was just being thick. Had to bookmark Scottish football page directly.

27 minutes ago, lennyzer0 said:

Saw that and thought I was just being thick. Had to bookmark Scottish football page directly.

I thought the same (about me, not you...).

On 12/04/2024 at 09:44, Jacksgranda said:

No links to Scottish, Northern Irish or Welsh football on the BBC football website anymore?

There are. At the bottom of the page.

12 hours ago, RedEd said:

There are. At the bottom of the page.

Now they are, they weren't there on 12th April.

Edited by Jacksgranda
sllepnig

Posted (edited)

It's not terrible journalism, because it's exactly what he said but there's not really a place for thick shit footballers say. Found this hilarious today. Craig Bellamy doesn't believe in rainbows.

Screenshot_20240415_164011_X.jpg

Edited by Ludo*1

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

The Highlands side rallied from 2-1 down to win 3-2 on Sunday

The above taken from a Rangers story on the BBC website put up about 15 minutes ago.

I suppose they got the final score right...

From the BBC Gossip column this morning (I know, I know), but I think this fulfils the brief of the thread. 

Retired Danish striker David Boysen reveals that he has supported Rangers from afar ever since he was humiliated by Scott Brown during a trial period at Celtic in his youth and says he took revenge by stealing the midfielder's clothes after a game. (SpilXperten via Football Scotland)

From the BBC's Dundee v Rangers match report:

Rangers have gone from a position where they could have been two points ahead of Celtic by winning their two games in hand to one where, even if they win the final Old Firm derby of the season away to their city rivals, they will be behind on goal difference should both sides win their other four remaining games.