The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

Ffs, the Daily Ranger resorting to use a mock up picture one of the lads on Killie Kickback did..... Quality journalism yet again [emoji106]e07b25b359f4eb6797f388edf482bb8e.jpg

It's almost as if Keith Jackson is too thick to learn from his mistakes, and is still trying to prove a point.

On 2017-6-20 at 07:31, Ludo*1 said:

The constant use of 'SPL' by the media and managers isn't an example of terrible journalism for me anymore. It's now just a highlight of yet another cock up the overlords of our game have made in that they can't even get the branding of our league right.

It's still lazy and poor journalism to me. It made sense to amalgamate the two league bodies and even though the naming of the leagues was a bit shit, they are still clearly defined and clearly advertised as such.

37 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

It's still lazy and poor journalism to me. It made sense to amalgamate the two league bodies and even though the naming of the leagues was a bit shit, they are still clearly defined and clearly advertised as such.

Why they didn't just keep it the SFL, I'll never know.  

I can't be the only one who doesn't care what pundits call the league can i? Does this really anger people?

There are many reasons to despise our msm press corps but i can't see why this matters at all.

get some hole.

4 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Why they didn't just keep it the SFL, I'll never know.  

Is this a joke?

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I can't be the only one who doesn't care what pundits call the league can i? Does this really anger people?

There are many reasons to despise our msm press corps but i can't see why this matters at all.

get some hole.

Not sure who mentioned anger? Despite what cretins on here say, simply calling something out doesn't automatically make you furious.

Although I am seething whenever it happens.

8 minutes ago, coprolite said:

get some hole.

It is annoying as it shows up our media as well as our pundits who are supposed to be promoting the game in Scotland as thoroughly unprofessional. 

If they can't even get the name of the league right why would any major sponsor be interested in associating their brand to it? You add this to a Chief Executive that constantly talks about our biggest two Clubs leaving to play elsewhere when they're pushing for a new TV deal then you can see why there's an ill conceived notion that Scottish football is all negative when this is far from true.

More than unprofessional, it's more evidence that the journos simply don't give a toss about Scottish football.

They'd find themselves hauled over the coals if they didn't ensure the English Premier League was called by the correct name, including the sponsor de jour.

35 minutes ago, sjc said:

It is annoying as it shows up our media as well as our pundits who are supposed to be promoting the game in Scotland as thoroughly unprofessional. 

If they can't even get the name of the league right why would any major sponsor be interested in associating their brand to it? You add this to a Chief Executive that constantly talks about our biggest two Clubs leaving to play elsewhere when they're pushing for a new TV deal then you can see why there's an ill conceived notion that Scottish football is all negative when this is far from true.

If we really want to fix Scottish football, we need to stop bending the knee to David Brent types like Doncaster and Regan. They are not capable of improving football here.

get some hole.

I don't particularly mind it in interviews or press conferences as people can say things off the cuff without really thinking it through.

It does bother me in the written press as it's just sheer laziness and incompetence.

In England if a manager was caught calling the premier league the 'carling premiership' he'd get absolutely slaughtered.

3 hours ago, The Master said:

so after they signed a bunch of duds we have actually heard of they thought they would win the league, now they have signes a bunch of duds nobody has heard of they still think they will win the league!

Some of us are just middle aged gits who can't keep up with all the new fangled names. I expect many pundits are similar.

Without looking it up, i couldn't confidently say what meaningless title the league has this week, nor what the new name is for the skol cup.

This is not connected to doncaster or reagan other than they're the tits that keep changing it.

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Some of us are just middle aged gits who can't keep up with all the new fangled names. I expect many pundits are similar.

Without looking it up, i couldn't confidently say what meaningless title the league has this week, nor what the new name is for the skol cup.

This is not connected to doncaster or reagan other than they're the tits that keep changing it.

You aren't paid to talk about it though. Its an absolute disgrace that various members of the media can't do the most basic bit of research of knowing what the competition they're talking about is actually called, and is symbolic of the absolute lack of professionalism surrounding the running and reporting of our game.

44 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I resorted to referring to the leagues as "tiers" some time ago. It just feels like absolute fannydangle to be calling the third tier "League One", and it makes life less confusing when you're referring to previous seasons in League One, which could feasibly anything from the Scottish second tier to the top three leagues in England.

The cups are, and always should be, the Scottish Cup, League Cup, and Challenge Cup. Mentioning sponsor names is for administrators and journalists, who're paid to do so.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave
Yes, I know the Premier League has never been League One, but it sounds like it should have been.

I resorted to referring to the leagues as "tiers" some time ago. It just feels like absolute fannydangle to be calling the third tier "League One", and it makes life less confusing when you're referring to previous seasons in League One,

Good plan. premier tier, champion tier then tier 1 and 2 it is.

2 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I resorted to referring to the leagues as "tiers" some time ago. It just feels like absolute fannydangle to be calling the third tier "League One", and it makes life less confusing when you're referring to previous seasons in League One, which could feasibly anything from the Scottish second tier to the top three leagues in England.

Spot on. It's a nightmare when checking a players history and you don't know which league they actually played in because of all the name changes.