The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, Stu said:

According to Simon Donnelly: "We all know United are a Premiership club and should really deserve to be there."

I hadn't realised how that how it works.

United would probably still be a Premiership club if Simon and his pal Jackie hadn't made a hash of it.

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He really struggles though in arguing about the corrupt "Masonic hall and golf club" culture that he wants junior clubs to steer clear of.

I actually think he's spot on with his 'masonic hall and golf club culture' comment regarding Scottish football, metaphorically if not literally, as 2012 showed.

It's generally a load of nonsense though, especially the totally out of place Jeanfield Swifts mention!

15 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

I actually think he's spot on with his 'masonic hall and golf club culture' comment regarding Scottish football, metaphorically if not literally, as 2012 showed.

If such a culture exists in football, I'd be surprised to hear that the Junior game in Ayrshire was immune.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

If such a culture exists in football, I'd be surprised to hear that the Junior game in Ayrshire was immune.

Given that the article is highlighting a leading Junior club that fears change and just wants to maintain the status quo, I'd say it highlights it was far from immune!

11 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Given that the article is highlighting a leading Junior club that fears change and just wants to maintain the status quo, I'd say it highlights it was far from immune!

And yet, the writer of the piece is suggesting that just such an immunity is being preserved by the resistance to joining the senior pyramid structure.

He is therefore not 'spot on' with respect to that part at all.

15 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Phrases you never thought you'd write... Saturday's Guardian gives pronouncement on the Scottish pyramid question:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/01/junior-football-scotland-ruin-senior-leagues

Firstly, there seems to be a glaring inconsistency in the columnist's eschewing of a united football structure and the glorification of "hard men" style Junior football as illustrated by Auchinleck v Cumnock (hardly typical incidentally) - only to then ascribe our failure to qualify for a finals tournament since 1998 to old-fashioned administration, governance, coaching and refereeing.

Secondly, we're told the Juniors should reject the pyramid and senior football as it's run by

"a cadre of small businessmen who operate in a world where the politics of the masonic hall and golf club still hold sway"

and as this grade (itself semi-professional let's remember) in contrast

"carries a resonance in Scottish civic life that travels well beyond the shallow capitalism of professional football" with which they "should have no truck"

I hadn't realised it was a life-n-death showdown with freemasonry and the macroeconomic system. Extraordinary.

Kevin McKenna's articles on Scottish football, when he deigns to tackle the subject, are absolutely terrible without fail.

24 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And yet, the writer of the piece is suggesting that just such an immunity is being preserved by the resistance to joining the senior pyramid structure.

He is therefore not 'spot on' with respect to that part at all.

Yes, ok, I omitted 'the top four senior leagues of'.

I know it's not Scottish football, but I was reading the BBC match report of tonight's Juve vs Real game in which Emylyn Begley writes, ' At the age of 33, Ronaldo no longer has great pace or much impact minute to minute in a match.'

I mean, c'mon to f**k.

9 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I know it's not Scottish football, but I was reading the BBC match report of tonight's Juve vs Real game in which Emylyn Begley writes, ' At the age of 33, Ronaldo no longer has great pace or much impact minute to minute in a match.'

I mean, c'mon to f**k.

He’s literally getting better with age, and scoring more and more important goals in big matches. 

There’s quite a lot of anti-Ronaldo hacks down south I’ve noticed.

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

He’s literally getting better with age, and scoring more and more important goals in big matches. 

There’s quite a lot of anti-Ronaldo hacks down south I’ve noticed.

They definitely aren't bitter he had the audacity to leave the self-proclaimed best league in the world.

17 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I mean, c'mon to f**k.

It's an entirely correct statement.  He's lost a bit of pace and doesn't dominate games like he used to.  Those two things are not incompatible with scoring loads of goals which he continues to do.

On 4/2/2018 at 21:10, HibeeJibee said:

Phrases you never thought you'd write... Saturday's Guardian gives pronouncement on the Scottish pyramid question:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/01/junior-football-scotland-ruin-senior-leagues

Firstly, there seems to be a glaring inconsistency in the columnist's eschewing of a united football structure and the glorification of "hard men" style Junior football as illustrated by Auchinleck v Cumnock (hardly typical incidentally) - only to then ascribe our failure to qualify for a finals tournament since 1998 to old-fashioned administration, governance, coaching and refereeing.

Secondly, we're told the Juniors should reject the pyramid and senior football as it's run by

"a cadre of small businessmen who operate in a world where the politics of the masonic hall and golf club still hold sway"

and as this grade (itself semi-professional let's remember) in contrast

"carries a resonance in Scottish civic life that travels well beyond the shallow capitalism of professional football" with which they "should have no truck"

I hadn't realised it was a life-n-death showdown with freemasonry and the macroeconomic system. Extraordinary.

P&B's  very own @craig_killie pointed out on Twitter that it's the junior clubs themselves who want to move to the senior set up.

Kevin McKenna's articles are that weird mix of nostalgia, Scottish exceptionalism and showy faux-radicalism.  He has no idea what he's talking about in any of them really, and especially not in this case.  He also reports people who take the piss out of him on Twitter.

It's an entirely correct statement.  He's lost a bit of pace and doesn't dominate games like he used to.  Those two things are not incompatible with scoring loads of goals which he continues to do.

Incorrect. He still dominates games. He singlehandedly ripped Juventus and was involved with all 3 goals.

2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

SOME FUCKIN PAL YOU ARE!