The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:23, Trackdaybob said:

It's ok. It's away now for another year. All the 'fans' will just fade away. Like they do every year. 

On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:29, Dons_1988 said:

Yes.  All the girls at my work who insist rugby is sooo much better than the peasant sport of football will now not watch it until 2019.

As a rugby fan, do you know what grinds my gears?  The Scottish football fans who jump on the 6 Nations bandwagon once per year, deem a player "awful" when they make one mistake (and couldn't even tell you what club they play for), slate the referees when they don't even know the rules themselves and who still think that games against Italy should be over as a contest by half-time.

Edited by come on shire

5 minutes ago, come on shire said:

As a rugby fan, do you know what grinds my gears?  The Scottish football fans who jump on the 6 Nations bandwagon once per year, deem a player "awful" when they make one mistake (and couldn't even tell you what club they play for), slate the referees when they don't even know the rules themselves and who still think that games against Italy should be over as a contest by half-time.

5aafca2a371f6_DOORCLOSE.gif.4e740f284dc7a7ad7ba19d825b575c77.gif

The fact that in almost every single game I watch there are pundits questioning refereeing decisions or utterly baffled by them leads me to think that largely the refereeing is dreadful.

The culture of not nailing the officials is meritorious but allows them to get away with murder.

2 hours ago, come on shire said:

Rugby doesn't have rules. It has laws.

18 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Rugby doesn't have rules. It has laws.

Very similar to football in that respect.

Rugby's also becoming a little like football in that ex-players' opinions on refereeing decisions are given some weight on the basis of their playing careers, despite them quite happily confessing to not knowing the law that is being applied. First time I came across this in football, explicitly, was Alex McLeish being interviewed around 15 years ago. He was complaining about some pretty clear decision, obviously not knowing that his opinion of what the ref should have done contravened the laws. I think it may have been something like claiming a penalty should have been given for one of his players being held in the penalty box before a corner was taken, i.e. when the ball was not in play.  The two things that struck me, and caused me to give the car radio a piece of my mind, were:

1. The very sympathetic hearing he was getting from the interviewer, who didn't seem to consider the possibility that McLeish might be wrong; and
  2. Towards the end of his rant about how "the referee's mistake decided the game", McLeish himself said, verbatim, "I don't know exactly what the rules say about that, maybe I should know."

The rugby pundits who are worst for over-ruling the ref on the basis of their "playing knowledge" are Brian Moore, Peter Wright and Jonathan Davies. I strongly suspect that Jeremy Guscott is as bad or worse than that triumvirate; but despite my high tolerance levels for arrogant wanks talking self-serving pish to toadyish presenters I have my limits and have to hit mute whenever his smarmy face appears.

21 hours ago, sugna said:

The rugby pundits who are worst for over-ruling the ref on the basis of their "playing knowledge" are Brian Moore, Peter Wright and Jonathan Davies. I strongly suspect that Jeremy Guscott is as bad or worse than that triumvirate; but despite my high tolerance levels for arrogant wanks talking self-serving pish to toadyish presenters I have my limits and have to hit mute whenever his smarmy face appears.

Brian Moore is a qualified referee and usually one of the more knowledgeable pundits. The BBC probably don’t help as they always present Moore’s view as the final say, instead of being up for debate, but he does generally know what he’s talking about.

I enjoy listening to Peter Wright but you can’t take him too seriously. I’ve seen him absolutely irate about a referee having a fairly standard game but, sometimes when a referee is having a nightmare, Wright is the only one who calls them on it strongly enough. His views about how leagues use referees (which games they manage, who gets the big games etc) are usually spot on.

Jonathan Davies is a prat.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Rugby has rules and laws? I thought it was just an indeterminate number of 'roided-up upper-middle-class ponces flinging themselves at each other, enjoying a mud bath together and occasionally tossing a ball back and forth. If it didn't stop every five seconds it might be vaguely entertaining in a "people pay to watch this?" sort of way.

15 minutes ago, nsr said:

Rugby has rules and laws? I thought it was just an indeterminate number of 'roided-up upper-middle-class ponces flinging themselves at each other, enjoying a mud bath together and occasionally tossing a ball back and forth. If it didn't stop every five seconds it might be vaguely entertaining in a "people pay to watch this?" sort of way.

Watch Rugby League - it is a far superior game.

On 3/21/2018 at 08:50, Jaggy Snake said:

Brian Moore is a qualified referee and usually one of the more knowledgeable pundits. The BBC probably don’t help as they always present Moore’s view as the final say, instead of being up for debate, but he does generally know what he’s talking about.

Thanks for that information. In the interests of keeping an open mind, I will now give Moore another chance. It may drive me over the edge but it's the only reasonable thing to do.

It would be fantastic if they added "passing the most basic refereeing qualification" to the requirements for anyone wanting to coach a football team above a certain level.

4 hours ago, sugna said:

Thanks for that information. In the interests of keeping an open mind, I will now give Moore another chance. It may drive me over the edge but it's the only reasonable thing to do.

It would be fantastic if they added "passing the most basic refereeing qualification" to the requirements for anyone wanting to coach a football team above a certain level.

They do! It was part of my Level 2 Coaching badge I did at the Cheshire FA back in 2006. I assume it's the same up in Scotland? 

This is puzzling. You would never guess, from some of the howlers that the coaches and managers who rant in their interviews, that they have passed a refereeing qualification. I can imagine some of them getting pass marks in a "rules quiz"; but beyond that it seems they almost take a pride in not knowing the laws.

(I was close to going on another cross-sport comparison journey just now, but I'm heeding the warning from a few posts earlier that there's a place for that sort of thing.)