The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 2/22/2018 at 21:19, NewBlue said:

Might be a little thing but I a getting really fed up with pundits saying players did "ever so well". Can't seem to watch or listen to a broadcast without it being repeated.

This isn't a new thing.  As far as I'm aware football punditry is the only place that you'll hear anyone use the phrase "ever so well".

1 hour ago, forameus said:

A fun little detour to South of the border after the car's bluetooth connection dropping led me to hearing some of the vile little troll that is Adrian Durham last night.  I know what he's trying to do, and I hate to rise to it, but one of his fishing lines last night was particularly egregious.

I came in late to the topic, and they were talking about VAR, I presume because something happened in the Caribou (or whatever it is) Cup at the weekend.  He started talking about a goal last season where someone scored from the halfway line and then went over to the bench to produce a shirt with a players name on the back whose father had died the previous day.  Nice tribute.  Great.  Durham then started to outline how he feared for situations like this if VAR came in.  What if, he mewled, VAR found that there was something wrong with that goal?  What happens if that tribute has to be cut short because someone saw something wrong and the goal was disallowed?  He finished by calling for the "human touch" to come back, and that in situations like that, goals should just be allowed because stopping such tributes would be disrespectful.

I know he's fishing, and, as the Guardian described him apparently, an "expert phone-in troll, arrogantly spouting inflammatory football opinions in the hope of prompting some indignant phone rage from an uppity fans", but this really was quite something.

NO excuse for listening to more than 5 seconds of that tool...even Bluetooth failure!

I once got an on air, tear stained demand for an apology from Durham after I tweeted his show telling his co host, Ray Houghton to "boots his baws again".......hearing Ray laughing in the background felt like vindication.

Agree with the general consensus of not listen to the thundercunt as a matter of principal though.

It’s like when jim white comes out with some sort of controversial statement at the programme and then comes out with the line “i know we are going to get phone calls on this” of course you are jim, its a radio phone in show and you are a wind up merchant.

Boring Boring Brendan is a great asset to Scottish football. He tells Derek McInnes that the Rangers job would be great for him. Then he tells Neil Lennon that he’d be perfect for the Scotland job. Then he tells Big Eck that Kieran “KT” Tierney has to be Scotland captain after what he’s picked up from Scott “Browny” Brown. He’s obviously only got what’s best for Scottish football at heart. 

On 24/02/2018 at 19:01, 7-2 said:

Untitled.jpg.b9e5f7f0c6ae5b7c0ffea84ee0173234.jpg

This is just the latest example of misleading journalism that does my head in. The fact County had 10 men is irrelevant as Saints had cuffed them with 11 and the red card came in the 85th minute with the game well and truly won.  They love shoving in the 10-man bit in a headline though no matter the circumstances.

Just confirmed on the radio that it annoyed Tommy Wright as well who phoned Alan Preston to try and get the name of whoever wrote it

Untitled.jpg.5af2ca702690098e518794db6f8bc6fa.jpg

'What? Stephen Thompson's resigned early as Chairman of Dundee United, one of the clubs we promote as needing to be in the Premiership for the good of Scottish football? Och well, shove it down there. Big Eck had a meeting yesterday'.

13 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

Untitled.jpg.5af2ca702690098e518794db6f8bc6fa.jpg

'What? Stephen Thompson's resigned early as Chairman of Dundee United, one of the clubs we promote as needing to be in the Premiership for the good of Scottish football? Och well, shove it down there. Big Eck had a meeting yesterday'.

This is something really weird to get worked up over.

Hoping Alex can get the kid to play for Scotland - looks a big prospect and a position we are needing after Brown's retirement.