The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

5 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Apparantly Mark McGhee was Barnet manager.  Shows how much I pay attention to shite clubs in the English lower divisions

That's me literally just discovering that, though the last time I paid even the slightest bit of attention to Barnet they had Edgar Davids as a player/manager.

On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:56, Salvo Montalbano said:
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:58, thisal said:
Because it's not about weather , it's about giving the players a break.

"Glamour friendlies" announced within a week of a winter break being accepted. Covered by the same TV Companies that will have no Premier League action to show for those 2/3 weeks.

Off-topic but - this.

If FA agree to make the FA Cup straight knockout and played midweek to free-up dates for a winter break "to help England" it will in practice be filled with Asian/American "money-spinning friendlies".

Incidentally comparisons with Spain and Portugal are somewhat "Terrible Journalism" - they stop for just 1 weekend, for cultural reasons. Italy has no break at all.

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 08/02/2018 at 12:27, Dunning1874 said:

The Daily Record calling Sun Tzu Japanese is one of my favourite things in this thread. Spectacular.

It's fantastic.  Even the most basic of searches would have corrected this. 

And let's be honest, he's had to look it up to get the correct spelling of "Tzu", and managed to miss it. 

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The Daily Record have deleted an article about Liam Miller and have spent the night spamming every form of social media with apologies for being insensitive.

And everyones talking about them and clicking on their website to try and find out what the headline was. 

Welcome to modern day journalism. 

Really starting to do my nut im hearing pundits talking about a lack of confidence for a striker missing easy chances.

Its generally more to do with absolutely piss poor technique or shocking decision making. But that would involve them having to explain it, so "confidence" it is.

1 minute ago, Jacky1990 said:

Really starting to do my nut im hearing pundits talking about a lack of confidence for a striker missing easy chances.

Its generally more to do with absolutely piss poor technique or shocking decision making. But that would involve them having to explain it, so "confidence" it is.

Yep, it's fast becoming the new go to cliche. 

Whilst it is becoming a cliche without doubt, I am a believer that confidence does play a significant part in footballers performance.

A cracking bit of reporting on the STV Glasgow news tonight.  In the 20 second summary of our cup win over Dundee it only showed Tom Aldred's controversial chalked off goal but the voiceover referred to Craig Tanner's opener.   

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 22:38, killiefan27 said:

That's me literally just discovering that, though the last time I paid even the slightest bit of attention to Barnet they had Edgar Davids as a player/manager.

He also inexplicably wore the no.1 shirt during his spell at Barnet.  No wonder the c**t was sacked.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-analyst-explains-scottish-football-12028876?utm_content=bufferf0345&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The DR should really just pack it in. They are quoting some 'expert' who compares Scotland to Denmark and reckons they get £50M a year from TV while we only get £21M because Denmark isn't "next to England" and "at least it's competitive".  He seems to be unaware it is, however, next to Germany and their £50M gets every single game on TV (we actually get more per game). He also seems to be unaware that Danish football is shown on national broadcasters rather than a filler item on German TV. 

He further explains that the Scots Prem attracts audiences only a tenth of the EPL (from a country with approximately a tenth of the English population, this is astounding).

It is also astounding that he believes Celtic would try and scupper a better domestic TV deal because it suits their agenda. For one thing they couldn't and for another unless the TV deal was multiplied to £100M and spread out evenly among the 12 it isn't going to affect their dominance materially. And even then it wouldn't really.

It is, not to put too fine a point on it, pish.

48 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/football-analyst-explains-scottish-football-12028876?utm_content=bufferf0345&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The DR should really just pack it in. They are quoting some 'expert' who compares Scotland to Denmark and reckons they get £50M a year from TV while we only get £21M because Denmark isn't "next to England" and "at least it's competitive".  He seems to be unaware it is, however, next to Germany and their £50M gets every single game on TV (we actually get more per game). He also seems to be unaware that Danish football is shown on national broadcasters rather than a filler item on German TV. 

He further explains that the Scots Prem attracts audiences only a tenth of the EPL (from a country with approximately a tenth of the English population, this is astounding).

It is also astounding that he believes Celtic would try and scupper a better domestic TV deal because it suits their agenda. For one thing they couldn't and for another unless the TV deal was multiplied to £100M and spread out evenly among the 12 it isn't going to affect their dominance materially. And even then it wouldn't really.

It is, not to put too fine a point on it, pish.

Is this the only bee in your bonnet?