The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

2 hours ago, sugna said:

This is puzzling. You would never guess, from some of the howlers that the coaches and managers who rant in their interviews, that they have passed a refereeing qualification. I can imagine some of them getting pass marks in a "rules quiz"; but beyond that it seems they almost take a pride in not knowing the laws.

(I was close to going on another cross-sport comparison journey just now, but I'm heeding the warning from a few posts earlier that there's a place for that sort of thing.)

Just a couple of weeks ago there were a couple of pundits on Sportscene who, despite being told the rule, said that the Motherwell 'goal' against Hearts in the cup should have stood. 

Barry Ferguson.

Last week re Brendan Rodgers

But what happened next was also incredibly lucky and he’s fortunate it all went his way because had Rangers won 3-2 it would have been him and not Murty who has spent the last week under fire.

This week discussing Alex McLeish and the League Cup win with Birmingham

We were solid but he was also bold. He threw on a s triker in those last 10 minutes in Obafemi Martins and he produced a last minute winner.

That took balls but it summed him up because he had us all believing we could win. That’s what he does. 

So just to confirm - Celtic man does it and it's lucky if it works out.  Rangers man does it and it's bold.

Not terrible journalism but didn't know where else to post it. You can literally see the irony seeping out your phone, and creating a wee ironic colony, when you read this tweet

Screenshot_20180328-162438.thumb.png.233b3e976cc38d4282072c36fbb2e97f.png

18 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Not terrible journalism but didn't know where else to post it. You can literally see the irony seeping out your phone, and creating a wee ironic colony, when you read this tweet

Screenshot_20180328-162438.thumb.png.233b3e976cc38d4282072c36fbb2e97f.png

He's an absolute fraud. One of my favourite threads on Twitter is Duncan McKay calling him out for all the pish he spouts.

That drives me mental. You see it more and more often.

It's the PA or whoever provides the game data that notate the goalscorers and the number that are called wrong is a nonsense. The MacLean one is a dreadful call, and obviously an o.g. but sadly part of a wider pattern.

2 hours ago, lanky_ffc said:

He's an absolute fraud. One of my favourite threads on Twitter is Duncan McKay calling him out for all the pish he spouts.

There are some proper weirdos on Scottish football Twitter. Agent Scotland is right up there with the Walter Mitty Scotzine editor in the lunatic stakes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43110905

1) This is not new information; it's been known for months that there would be no "British" referees because there were no Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish on the provision list, and the only one from England was Mark Clattenburg, who has since gone to Saudi Arabia.

2) The way it's written seems to be conflating "British" and "English".