The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

That really does sound like a wonderful night out. Presumably Andy Cameron is the compère, and the night will be rounded off with a set from one (but not both) of the Proclaimers.

Always good to get an ex referee along to tell everyone about how they found it hard not to sing along to The Billy Boys while refereeing!

2 hours ago, kennysmassiveego said:

I’m willing to bet you never heard McAvennie 20 odd years ago . Times change and back then he was considered a good booking for many a gentleman’s dinner  as his booking fee of some £3000 iirc shows . You can’t command those sort of fees if nobody wants to hear you speak . It’s all about opinions I suppose and after a good dinner and plenty of booze , yes I found his inane chat and stories amusing and no homophobia as far as I recall , whether I would want to spend time with him outside of that environment and after his most recent comments ?  I’m certain that would be a no from me now.

I wouldn’t  go around calling people cretins for attending charity evenings , yes I was aware who was “ on the bill” and yes I could have bought a ticket and not gone , but I chose to attend as there were other people in my company to consider and at that time McAvennie as I said was a crowd pleaser . It’s very easy to retrospectively examine the company ,however fleeting ,you sometimes kept but to make rash  judgements on my beliefs based on that is very poor IMO 

I didn't call anyone a cretin for attending a charity event.  I just said that only a cretin could find McAvennie entertaining when he speaks.

Your stuff about changing times and sensibilities is valid enough generally, but it doesn't apply here, because McAvennie has always been a tiresome idiot.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I didn't call anyone a cretin for attending a charity event.  I just said that only a cretin could find McAvennie entertaining when he speaks.

Your stuff about changing times and sensibilities is valid enough generally, but it doesn't apply here, because McAvennie has always been tiresome idiot.

I suppose where's the burd's  is getting a bit thin over the last 30 years.

Not only that, but transfer consultant Ian McGarry has claimed that a conversation with Andy Robertson has pushed his fellow left-back closer to the exit door.

“The second thing that has changed for Kieran Tierney is speaking to his international teammate Andy Robertson,” McGarry said on the Transfer Window.

“Having won the Champions League at the end of last season, he’s told Tierney ‘look, don’t default your career for the sake of staying at the club you support’.”

Andy Robertson's reply tonight on twitter was "lot of rubbish" 

Not only that, but transfer consultant Ian McGarry has claimed that a conversation with Andy Robertson has pushed his fellow left-back closer to the exit door.

“The second thing that has changed for Kieran Tierney is speaking to his international teammate Andy Robertson,” McGarry said on the Transfer Window.

“Having won the Champions League at the end of last season, he’s told Tierney ‘look, don’t default your career for the sake of staying at the club you support’.”

Andy Robertson's reply tonight on twitter was "lot of rubbish" 

If that conversation actually happened I imagine Tierney would have replied "fack do you mean, my fault"

40 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Can I call any article asking a 69 year old like Arsene Wenger if he wants to go back to work?  In the real world we ask people of that age how they are enjoying their retirement.

McGhee levels of ageism. Must be a Celtic thing.

The National has a weekly column (not usually about sport) like that written in what the authors claim is Scots. It's laughable. There's a good parody account of one of the contributors on Twitter, although at times it's hard to tell if the posts are a wind-up or real National articles: https://twitter.com/rabwilson11

9 hours ago, Stu said:

The National has a weekly column (not usually about sport) like that written in what the authors claim is Scots. It's laughable. There's a good parody account of one of the contributors on Twitter, although at times it's hard to tell if the posts are a wind-up or real National articles: https://twitter.com/rabwilson11

I once saw one of those columns, the highlight of which, on the subject of the internet, was the word "wabsite"

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
16 hours ago, Savage Henry said:
Put this is the Women’s World thread, but it merits a place in here too. Genuinely dreadful.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17732434.heres-why-scotlands-wimmen-are-oor-real-national-team/

Managed about 5 lines before my cringe reflex affected my phone. Warld??

Yep, got about four lines in. Brutal stuff.

Oooft...the decline of Tom English, BBC Scotland's Chief Sports Writer" continues apace.

Surely knowing how the Olympics works is page 1 for anyone who is described as a (general) "sports writer"?