The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

A classic example of someone being desperate to find an error and jumping in with two feet without engaging their brain.

In fairness, I had no idea what the headline meant until it was explained. Maybe that’s more a reflection on me though…

Edited by AJF

I know it’s technically not journalism… but look how ridiculous this is 

What the absolute hell [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
No idea who was shortlisted but off the top of my head didn't Europe win the Solheim Cup in the USA? England women rugby ran riot too didn't they?

What the absolute hell [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].
No idea who was shortlisted but off the top of my head didn't Europe win the Solheim Cup in the USA? England women rugby ran riot too didn't they?

The red roses are unbeaten since march 2018 and now back to back wins against NZ women by an aggregate score line of 99-27 mean that they’re clear at the very top of the game.

The red roses are unbeaten since march 2018 and now back to back wins against NZ women by an aggregate score line of 99-27 mean that they’re clear at the very top of the game.
Given how much they keep promoting womens sport in England, that is an embarrassingly bad.

The thing about the England team has to be to do with the racism and abuse they suffered online, right?

If so, then essentially some English have shown such low regard for human decency that the BBC feels the need to reward a team that didn't achieve anything.

Seems counter intuitive to reward a team for simply being in the firing lines of racists. One might suggest punish the racists, and reward a team which was successful, at least in relative terms.

Edited by Ric

10 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

What the absolute hell emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png.

*waves in St Johnstone*

We didn't even get nominated for an achievement unlikely to be matched in most folks lifetime.

Sports Personality of the Year has been England-centric for a long, long, time.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

*waves in St Johnstone*

We didn't even get nominated for an achievement unlikely to be matched in most folks lifetime.

I was genuinely baffled when it was in Aberdeen. They don’t give a shit about Scottish sport. 

*waves in St Johnstone*
I suspect if Forfar won the cup double they wouldn't get nominated either.
Did Celtic get any nominations in any of their quadruple treble years? I'm guessing not.
Scottish football is an irrelevance to those that draft the nominees.

12 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The red roses 

1403564653_Clintcoffee.gif.da3edba186ba1fd50f0c78d6a187d62a.gif

3 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

:lol: 

I can’t work out if they really have no self awareness or if they just don’t care. 

Both

2 hours ago, Ric said:

The thing about the England team has to be to do with the racism and abuse they suffered online, right?

If so, then essentially some English have shown such low regard for human decency that the BBC feels the need to reward a team that didn't achieve anything.

Seems counter intuitive to reward a team for simply being in the firing lines of racists. One might suggest punish the racists, and reward a team which was successful, at least in relative terms.

Needs a bit more virtue signaling.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

I was genuinely baffled when it was in Aberdeen. They don’t give a shit about Scottish sport.  Scotland.

To be more accurate.

10 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Needs a bit more virtue signaling.

It certainly comes across as that, and you know "as a statement" I can see why they did it. The problem is that pesky British part in the name BBC.

Rewarding one country's team out of a nation of 4 countries, when it was only one country's set of fans who racially abused their team, smacks of tunnel vision at best and down right arrogance at worst.

While it's a bit of "participation award for all", the BBC should have awarded it to all four nations in regard to the social media element - if that is what they are aiming for. I mean, God forbid they would actually award it to them for not winning the Euros.