The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

It depends what you think journalism is. I'd say that providing clear and detailed information so that a reader can understand it is more important than spelling every single word correctly. A typo is not going to impinge on someone's understanding of the work, getting hung up on them rather than the content seems quite silly to me.

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It depends what you think journalism is. I'd say that providing clear and detailed information so that a reader can understand it is more important than spelling every single word correctly. A typo is not going to impinge on someone's understanding of the work, getting hung up on them rather than the content seems quite silly to me.

Depends on the context. I wouldn’t care for live text reporting or folk working on 24 hour news cycles etc. 

But for an article that is designed to be a piece in a paper or website, then I refuse to believe it’s so rushed that you can’t do a cursory sense check/proof read. 

It gives off an indication of carelessness and if I was a journalist id think it undermined my credibility. I could have an amazing CV qualifications wise but if it was peppered with basic errors then it probably undermines the whole thing. 

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Depends on the context. I wouldn’t care for live text reporting or folk working on 24 hour news cycles etc. 

But for an article that is designed to be a piece in a paper or website, then I refuse to believe it’s so rushed that you can’t do a cursory sense check/proof read. 

It gives off an indication of carelessness and if I was a journalist id think it undermined my credibility. I could have an amazing CV qualifications wise but if it was peppered with basic errors then it probably undermines the whole thing. 

Magnificent stylistic flourish to top off the point.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You'd go far in senior management at Reach.

Livingston/Livingstone I can just about understand, as auto-correct or Spellcheck will probably account for that (and proof readers, of such a thing exists any more might not spot it at first glance) but surely the misspelling of Edinburgh wouldn't have escaped the computer initially, and then any quick glance would show it doesn't quite look right?

On 17/04/2023 at 17:09, craigkillie said:

It's just a little amateurish if you ask me. I wonder how common typo's were in the press back in the good old days of typewriters. There's just very little in the way of standards when it comes to modern journalism. The priority seems to be bashing out a half arsed article as quickly as possible for clicks, as opposed to delivering insightful articles. 

24 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

It's just a little amateurish if you ask me. I wonder how common typo's were in the press back in the good old days of typewriters. There's just very little in the way of standards when it comes to modern journalism. The priority seems to be bashing out a half arsed article as quickly as possible for clicks, as opposed to delivering insightful articles. 

In those days they had sub-editors

46 minutes ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

In those days they had sub-editors

Some places still do, but in decreasing numbers.

Hopefully this passes the @craigkillie threshold of poor journalism. Or maybe we don't care what pictures are used either.

Screen Shot 2023-04-19 at 14.57.21.png

1 hour ago, Connor1874 said:

"And Robb blazed his shit wildly over the bar". Green Final

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

It's a UK-wide "Manager ins and outs article" which features Rodgers leaving Leicester, I'm not sure what's wrong with that?

It was the top story in the Scottish Premiership section, where it doesn't seem particularly relevant three days after Davidson left St Johnstone. Rodgers also left his job 17 days ago.

Do you like to be contrary, or do you just accept shite as standard?

12 minutes ago, Darren said:

It was the top story in the Scottish Premiership section, where it doesn't seem particularly relevant three days after Davidson left St Johnstone. Rodgers also left his job 17 days ago.

Do you like to be contrary, or do you just accept shite as standard?

The 'Scottish premiership' bit is just goes by what ever article has been published latest as the top article usually. The 'ins and outs' has already been bumped down by an article about St.Johnstone. At least that's how the app goes by anyway.

Edited by gannonball

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

The 'Scottish premiership' bit is just goes by what ever article has been published latest as the top article usually. The 'ins and outs' has already been bumped down by an article about St.Johnstone. At least that's how the app goes by anyway.

Move to the terrible website management thread, please mods. (It doesn't appear prominently in the English Premier League or English Championship sections, funnily enough.)