The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

3 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

It's just a little amateurish if you ask me. I wonder how common typo's were in the press back in the good old days of typewriters. There's just very little in the way of standards when it comes to modern journalism. The priority seems to be bashing out a half arsed article as quickly as possible for clicks, as opposed to delivering insightful articles. 

Chortle.

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

36 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I wonder if BBC Scotland website will cotton on that there is a Highland League title shootout this Saturday between Buckie and Brechin with winner takes all (and Buckie get the draw)?

Probably not but it'll ultimately be down to the number of Old Firm connections in the clubs, if any.

39 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I wonder if BBC Scotland website will cotton on that there is a Highland League title shootout this Saturday between Buckie and Brechin with winner takes all (and Buckie get the draw)?

2 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

Probably not but it'll ultimately be down to the number of Old Firm connections in the clubs, if any.

To be fair I have never really known the BBC to cover regional leagues much and that includes a regional league with 'old firm' colts in it. Can see A view from the terrace covering it a bit though.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

You'd think Craig Levein might mention it...

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I actually cannot think of the last time there was a final day shootout between teams at the top of the league. Covid stopped it happening between Falkirk and Raith, but I can’t think the last time there was one on the final day. 

Since 2000 I think it has only happened once in the SPL/SFL/SPFL - Morton v Peterhead in Division 2 in 2002/03.

Going into the last game, Morton were top with 69 points, Peterhead (+40 GD) and East Fife (+35 GD) both had 68 points and Albion Rovers had 67 points. Rovers couldn't realistically win the league because at least one team was guaranteed to reach 70 points, and their goal difference was much worse than both Morton and Peterhead's.

However, the top two went up, and it was still possible for all four teams to get promoted.

Morton won 1-0 to win the league, and East Fife and Albion Rovers both won their matches, so Peterhead ended up finishing 4th. If Peterhead had equalised then East Fife would have won the league but Morton would still have gone up in 2nd place.

Edited by craigkillie

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

To be fair I have never really known the BBC to cover regional leagues much and that includes a regional league with 'old firm' colts in it. Can see A view from the terrace covering it a bit though.

If things go their way, either Buckie or Brechin could be in the SPFL.

1 hour ago, buchan30 said:

I actually cannot think of the last time there was a final day shootout between teams at the top of the league. Covid stopped it happening between Falkirk and Raith, but I can’t think the last time there was one on the final day. 

Ayr United and Raith in League 1, Montrose and Peterhead in League 2, coincidentally both on the same day in 2017/18.

32 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

Ayr United and Raith in League 1, Montrose and Peterhead in League 2, coincidentally both on the same day in 2017/18.

I did mean a first v second battle. I forgot about the rovers one. Must have blanked out the trauma of that one. I remember my son greeting, not because we hadn’t won it, but because he wouldn’t get to see the helicopter.
Title deciders on the last day are amazing (if you win it). Got to admit, had i not had plans this weekend, i would have travelled to buckie for this as a nuetral. Actually hoping that the championship goes to the wire as well. Although i am saying that from the point of view of someone who doesn’t support any of the sides. 

Edited by buchan30

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Since 2000 I think it has only happened once in the SPL/SFL/SPFL - Morton v Peterhead in Division 2 in 2002/03.

Going into the last game, Morton were top with 69 points, Peterhead (+40 GD) and East Fife (+35 GD) both had 68 points and Albion Rovers had 67 points. Rovers couldn't realistically win the league because at least one team was guaranteed to reach 70 points, and their goal difference was much worse than both Morton and Peterhead's.

However, the top two went up, and it was still possible for all four teams to get promoted.

Morton won 1-0 to win the league, and East Fife and Albion Rovers both won their matches, so Peterhead ended up finishing 4th. If Peterhead had equalised then East Fife would have won the league but Morton would still have gone up in 2nd place.

What a day that was. Over 8,000 packed in to Cappielow for that match.

I presume that held the 4th tier crowd record in Scotland until you know who turned up in that division in 2012.