The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 22/04/2023 at 14:20, Tannadeechee said:

BBC Sport Scotland strike again...

Screenshot_2023-04-22-14-19-11-955-edit_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

31 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

AAE74D80-C590-4AC3-A9A0-F00A6C1287BC.thumb.png.03ba9dd9a7665054da339b3ca94bf167.png

15 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

Screenshot_20230423-174123.png

For these to all happen on the same weekend is a genuine f***ing national disgrace.  Heads should roll.

Not a mistake as such, but Michael Stewart on the Scottish Football Podcast treating the idea that someone could change his opinion based  on new data as though it was admission of guilt and failure was a doozy, even for him.

Not sure if it belongs on this thread or not, but I saw an advert for Viaplay this morning talking about having International matches, the Scottish Cup etc and their prices. The final line was something like "get it all for only £89 for a one off payment, starting with Celtic v Rangers in the Scottish Cup semifinal on Sunday". What, so if I pay today I can't watch the other semi?

57 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Not sure if it belongs on this thread or not, but I saw an advert for Viaplay this morning talking about having International matches, the Scottish Cup etc and their prices. The final line was something like "get it all for only £89 for a one off payment, starting with Celtic v Rangers in the Scottish Cup semifinal on Sunday". What, so if I pay today I can't watch the other semi?

Dunno if they're doing the other semi, as it's on the bbc.

I doubt anyone would subscribe to a channel to watch a game which is already on another free-to-air channel anyway, so I can sort of understand the "other" semi being ignored by them a bit. I don't actually know why they bother buying the rights for both semis, because one of them is always going to get next to no viewership even if it involved the Old Firm. Maybe there are still some English viewers who haven't worked out how to access Scottish BBC channels I suppose.

26 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

They’re showing them both.

They get one of them exclusively and the other is shared.

Ohright, i've zero interest in the erse cheek semi final, but might catch the ICT v Falkirk one, depending if i'm in the house at that time, if not i'll watch it on iplayer later.

This might be more of a PTTGOYN thing, but the lack of acknowledgement of the Athletic on Dunfermline is a right gripe, and it can't be a space-saving thing as they've gone all out for ICT.

image.png.1c369b23adb98c17644333c5add7268f.png

Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Dunfermline Athletic

On 24/04/2023 at 11:39, lennyzer0 said:

Not a mistake as such, but Michael Stewart on the Scottish Football Podcast treating the idea that someone could change his opinion based  on new data as though it was admission of guilt and failure was a doozy, even for him.

What if he was only saying that because the other person insisted, the week prior, that his mind was made up and it didn't matter what new data came along? 

14 hours ago, kingjoey said:

SCOTTISH LEAGUE TWO PLAY-OFFS

Annan Athletic15:00Bonnyrigg Rose

East Fife15:00Albion

Elgin15:00Dumbarton

Stirling15:00Forfar

Stranraer15:00Stenhousemuir

The Spartans15:00Brechin

They just can't get it right. The BBC website has changed the matches from all being in the League 2 playoffs, to now saying that The Spartans v Brechin is now a League 2 match. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

They just can't get it right. The BBC website has changed the matches from all being in the League 2 playoffs, to now saying that The Spartans v Brechin is now a League 2 match. 

It happens every season.  I'm sure last year or the year before there were a couple of playoff games already played before the BBC even started listing them anywhere on their fixtures.  

I expect they don't have the same problem accurately listing the playoffs in the English leagues.  

12 hours ago, CoF said:

What if he was only saying that because the other person insisted, the week prior, that his mind was made up and it didn't matter what new data came along? 

I may have missed that - and MS didn't actually claim that he had said that.

But even if he had, it doesn't make MS's point any less idiotic (imo, obviously).