The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

On 14/06/2023 at 22:52, Ranaldo Bairn said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65911091

More quality stuff here from your friendly local gonks. No, not the ones throwing the toys out the pram in a hilarious yet threatening statement, but the "writer" of this "article" who thinks that if a team leaves a 19-team league, in order to make it an 18-team league, another team must be added. 🤡

I actually made the effort to let them know about the mistake, explaining what they'd got wrong as clearly as I could without being bolshie about it. It was a bit of a pain, full address required even when I said no reply needed. So they changed it from this:

The Lowland League say they are still planning to have 18 teams in the division next season, which means another club will be added.

to this:

The Lowland League say they are still planning to have 18 teams in the division next season.

Don't know why I bother, I'll just hurl abuse at them on twitter next time.

On 13/06/2023 at 19:19, Raidernation said:

BTW, where are sevco getting these millions to spend on players?

On 13/06/2023 at 23:22, AJF said:

In fairness, we have brought in 3 free transfers this window thus far while 5 high earners departed at the end of their contract.

We’re linked with Lammers for around £3m and Dessiers for around the same which would only be about half of what we spent last summer.

I take my hat off to you @AJF Fantastic to see a Sevco fan acknowledging that they are now called Sevco.

8 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

I take my hat off to you @AJF Fantastic to see a Sevco fan acknowledging that they are now called Sevco.

It’s more like when folk from Aberdeen call a chippy a “chipper”. I know that it’s abhorrently wrong but I know what they mean so I don’t correct them.

1 minute ago, AJF said:

It’s more like when folk from Aberdeen call a chippy a “chipper”. I know that it’s abhorrently wrong but I know what they mean so I don’t correct them.

Did all the chippies in Aberdeen go tits up, got demoted and had to start all over again in the 4th tier as brand new chippies called chippers? 🤔 And forfeited all their chippy of the year awards? 😋

1 hour ago, AJF said:

The Aberdonian mangling of the Scots tongue is why I felt like a prophet in a strange land during my University days up there.

1 hour ago, Bairn in Exile said:

Did all the chippies in Aberdeen go tits up, got demoted and had to start all over again in the 4th tier as brand new chippies called chippers? 🤔 And forfeited all their chippy of the year awards? 😋

Haha, well if there is one industry where phoenixism is rife then it's hot food and takeaway establishments!

On 13/06/2023 at 17:10, The Master said:

His wee stories are as bad as his put-downs. I’d have liked to have seen him scrabbling about the floor of a Glasgow nightclub lavvie trying to put together bits of a £20 note. Presumably, with sellotape he keeps in his pocket for these sort of events?

7FE2CC6D-38C3-4F31-B5A6-13F992A1A340.jpeg.5b1abf11f8d1c41b490d3ad116288498.jpeg

On 16/06/2023 at 09:38, Bairn in Exile said:

Only the Willie Miller managed ones. 

On 16/06/2023 at 07:38, Bairn in Exile said:

Demoted, no. Disgracefully fast-tracked, yes. 

This has been up all day, do they just not care about anywhere north of the M8. At least spell the place correctly. Weegie/cuntral belt arrogance

Form BBC Scotland news  in Milnfua, Alness, after officers were alerted at 00:30 on Saturday.

On 20/06/2023 at 13:59, Raidernation said:

Utter bullshit as ever

"New Rangers goalkeeper Jack Butland "won't have experienced anything like" running out at a full Ibrox, says former club captain Barry Ferguson. (Record)"

10s of thousands of bigots espousing hatred for Catholics? Of course he wouldn't have.

Edited by Arch Stanton

I am a simple man.
I see a story and I click it.
I see the story is attributed to English.
I close the tab without reading any further.
As I say, I am a simple man.

English's style of prose, and his subtle combination of ignorance and arrogance, is a fucking nightmare to read. You feel his Facebook feeds, if not for public consumption, would be filled with cantankerous boomer "humour" and complaints about how woke everything is.

Edited by Ric

On 20/06/2023 at 13:59, Raidernation said:

Utter bullshit as ever

"New Rangers goalkeeper Jack Butland "won't have experienced anything like" running out at a full Ibrox, says former club captain Barry Ferguson. (Record)"

That's just a template they use for every signing.