The Terrible Journalism & Tom English Thread

8 hours ago, Dunty said:

Not sure what my favourite Peter Grant Sportscene moment was.

His thoughts that Miovski - who is about to sign for the team that finished third in La Liga - is good enough to play for Rangers.

Or that St Mirren will find it tough on Thursday against Brondby.

I was going to mention the second one as well, but gave him the benefit of the doubt that he was just mispronouncing Brann.

Looking South of the border here where former Stranraer, Queen of the South and Queen's Park striker Ruari Paton, from Dublin, got a goal for Port Vale in the league cup. Here's a paragraph from the BBC's match report..Screenshot_20240814_003604_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6a427773f8b9cacc12e8db1a848172fc.jpg

3 hours ago, Stub Acme said:

Some neutral, unbiased opinions the BBC are using when reporting on the Rangers red card from last night

IMG_1573.jpeg

What, the radio and tv panel of McGregor, Hutton, Thompson, Ryan jack, Derek Ferguson, cammy bell and Billy Dodds weren’t impartial? 

On 12/08/2024 at 10:54, NorthernLights said:

This is a pet peeve from Sportscene Result show. They have the results from the Highland League and Lowland League combined and in alphabetical order across two sections with 9 scores on each.

Each league had 9 fixtures over the weekend so I can't see any real reason for them to be combined like this and not in two separate sections.

Screenshot 2024-08-12 105048.jpg

Screenshot 2024-08-12 105111.jpg

Jesus fuck 🤣.

So they've split the graphic in two, that's the hard part, then just fired both leagues in with one another.  Fucking idiots.

20 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Jesus f**k 🤣.

So they've split the graphic in two, that's the hard part, then just fired both leagues in with one another.  f**king idiots.

I'm surprised they don't have a section with Sevco and Celtic's results and then another section with every other result in it.

If you look at the scores/fixtures page on the BBC website, the Highland and Lowland Leagues are also grouped into a single top-level category, but do remain in individual second-levels. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/scores-fixtures/2024-08-17

What might be happening is that the on-screen scores are from the same system and it only looks at the top—level grouping. The scores/fixtures aren’t directly maintained by the BBC but instead are fed from external sources.

It should be possible to verify tomorrow by watching Final Score to see if the National League North/South are grouped, as they are on the website (you’ll need to scroll down):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/scores-fixtures/2024-08-17

Is there a good site for Scottish football news? Mostly that's what I come here for but it takes too long going through each clubs' thread and wading through the chat to find the news. The BBC site is obviously very superficial and inaccurate but it's the least-bad place I've found where all the news is roughly in one place.

For fixtures I always use https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com but for live scorers and results I always end up back at the BBC, because they show scorers (though they briefly got rid of that recently, showing they don't know what we want).

27 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Is there a good site for Scottish football news? Mostly that's what I come here for but it takes too long going through each clubs' thread and wading through the chat to find the news. The BBC site is obviously very superficial and inaccurate but it's the least-bad place I've found where all the news is roughly in one place.

For fixtures I always use https://scottishfootballfixtures.wordpress.com but for live scorers and results I always end up back at the BBC, because they show scorers (though they briefly got rid of that recently, showing they don't know what we want).

Fotmob app is outstanding for live scores, shows scorers, reds, yellows, subs, assists, the whole shebang.

I should add that it’s abundantly obvious these “journalists” are using “provincial” as a (what they think is a polite) synonym for “small”. 

21 minutes ago, The Master said:

Anyone who refers to non-Old Firm teams as “provincial” should be banned from making any further contributions to football journalism.

Provincial = outside the capital. Celtic and Rangers are provincial clubs. 

Aye. Get in the sea you provincial diddies. 

Signed

Spartans

Hibs

Hearts

Edinburgh City 

Civil Service Strollers

etc

It's not Scottish media, but it's worth putting in here to alert folk who'll see him putting rumours out about their club, but this guy...

... has outed himself as a mouthpiece for agents over the past 12 months. He's had 2 different lies about Sidibehs release clause, and has now linked him to 12 different clubs (only one has had contact with Saints, over a month ago).

He's also claimed Matondo of Rangers is close to a move to Leeds, which was rubbished within an hour.

So aye, if you see him in relation to your club, and it's not him stealing a tweet, then it'll be bollocks.

This first paragraph from the BBC on tomorrow's game.

So wrong.

Edit; And the 2nd paragraph.

We have scored 23 and conceded 5.

We also got a draw against United.

Screenshot_20240816_173509_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.58eb3174d376aaa0254272dce321f964.jpg

Edited by johnnydun

26 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

This first paragraph from the BBC on tomorrow's game.

So wrong.

Edit; And the 2nd paragraph.

We have scored 23 and conceded 5.

We also got a draw against United.

Screenshot_20240816_173509_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.58eb3174d376aaa0254272dce321f964.jpg

I was just coming on here to post this. For such a small piece Clive Lindsay has managed to quite spectacularly f**k it up:

1. We've scored 23 in 6 games.

2. We've conceded 5 times.

3. It won't be our fourth consecutive win - it'd be our second.

4. Airdrie have scored 16 goals in their 4 wins.

For the rest of the cup fans, has good ol' Clive f**ked up your 'preview' as badly? Check here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c4gxem7j9nyo

Kimpioka 6 goals - ✅

Sidibeh 4 goals - ✅

No goals in last 5 games v Rangers - ✅

8-0 aggregate loss last season - ❌️ (was 7-0)

4 consecutive away losses to Rangers since April 2021 - ✅