The Unionists are diminishing,

55% didn't "fall for it" many simply didn't and don't want it. I doubt support for independence will ever seriously exceed around 60% as there's too many entrenched interests both on a collective and an individual level for it to happen. The Yes campaign arguably won the campaign among the lower classes (who definitely need it the most judging by Westminster's war on the poor) but completely failed to win over the largely comfortable middle classes which is an admittedly far more difficult task. They, in their own heads at least, have more at risk and subsequently more to lose. It's going to be difficult to convince them to take what's essentially a dive into the unknown. As it stands I can't see them changing their mind unless things get much shitter for them at Westminster which tbf is completely possible.

Which was largely the crux of my point – the No vote consisted primarily of the craven and the selfish.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

55% didn't "fall for it" many simply didn't and don't want it. I doubt support for independence will ever seriously exceed around 60% as there's too many entrenched interests both on a collective and an individual level for it to happen. The Yes campaign arguably won the campaign among the lower classes (who definitely need it the most judging by Westminster's war on the poor) but completely failed to win over the largely comfortable middle classes which is an admittedly far more difficult task. They, in their own heads at least, have more at risk and subsequently more to lose. It's going to be difficult to convince them to take what's essentially a dive into the unknown. As it stands I can't see them changing their mind unless things get much shitter for them at Westminster which tbf is completely possible.

Me and a mate were talking about this the other day. We won't see a change unless the middle classes have something to lose.

Me and a mate were talking about this the other day. We won't see a change unless the middle classes have something to lose.

Or until they develop a conscience/ basic human empathy.

How's it looking on Facebook though?

The OP was convinced that YES would win last September, let's remember... and then vanished for a few days after the result :lol:

How's it looking on Facebook though?

The OP was convinced that YES would win last September, let's remember... and then vanished for a few days after the result :lol:

You see folks, this is the sort of worm that turns my stomach. He saw the facts, he saw the information, and yet he voted against the best interests of his nation. A spineless weakling, who really should be reminded over and over again What He Did.

I remember when Unionist St. Mirren fans were legion. Their grey dismal ranks would line up 20 deep to sing the glorious praises of Britain. Their mantra? A chanted "too wee, too poor, too stupid". Mighty were the battles we faced to overcome their shouted mantra.

But now, times have changed. The smart and the shameful have slunk off, and all that is left are the weak, the stupid, and the foolish.

We must never falter, until their embarrassing traces have been purged, and their voices stamped on and silenced.

Voting for your own interests is a perfectly valid way on which to base your vote. It's not something I would ever do, but I understand completely if someone wishes to do that and dribbling simpletons like Confi demonising people for that choice doesn't help the cause to be honest.

In an election, perhaps. Not in something as large as a national referendum, however, that will affect generations and generations.

But hey, thanks for the insult.

Voting for your own interests is a perfectly valid way on which to base your vote. It's not something I would ever do, but I understand completely if someone wishes to do that and dribbling simpletons like Confi demonising people for that choice doesn't help the cause to be honest.

Without wanting to sound too arrogant, I would not class myself as a dribbling simpleton, and I would definitely 100% demonise people for picking their own immediate selfish interests before the interests of their country.

We kept being told, even by mewling Unionists "its a big thing, its forever, so much to think about, no going back" etc. It was about the entire future of Scotland. And if anyone decided to vote no based on their own selfish interests, based on their current situation right now, without considering the sweep of the past, present, and future, then yes. They deserve to be demonised.

I hate the "soft" nos more than the hardline unionists. At least with the hardliners you know where you stand with them, they'll always vote no. The "I really wish I had voted yes" brigade boil my pish. If there ever was another ref they'd tell you again and again they'd vote yes and then shit the floor at the last minute and vote no. Cannot be trusted.

Hence the toys out of the pram for the 44.7.

There is s disturbingly intolerant streak through some (not all) of our resident nats.

And yet ALL the Court cases for physical attacks relating to the referendum were against Unionists.

Funny that, isn't it?

And yet ALL the Court cases for physical attacks relating to the referendum were against Unionists.

Funny that, isn't it?

Its weird as hell. Remember the night after the referendum. A ton of marches, parades and protests in advance by the Yes side, 0 arrests. Then we had the "celebration" in George square...

Archived