Gary Locke OUT!

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenny Shiels record looking better and better now compared to messrs Johnston and Locke. If we've 0 points after the Partick game then we should get shot. Mixu is available.

Aaah. I remember when Mixu was in charge.

Good times.

:(

It's been said about a million times that the decision to sack Kenny Shiels was one of the worst in Killie's history, but I might as well make it a million and one.

There were mitigating circumstances in the sacking of Kenny Shiels. These will never be made public knowledge but trust me, it was a good decision.

Out of curiosity...does anyone have Locke's record as manager to hand? Because it must be horrific reading.

Not in any way defending him as a manager as he does appear to have turned out a brutal manager, but he can probably be excused for a portion of his Hearts time

My problem with Locke is we seem to be brutal when it comes to defending. Even when we went on a decent unbeaten run we still conceded 8 goals in 8 games. The key to mid table mediocrity is a strong defense and that is what we have lacked for years which was the reason why Kenny never got us in to the top 6 in his time as permanent manager. Although Kenny offset this by making us a strong attacking team that could create plenty of chances. I actually thought we had done some good work in the transfer window Boyd and Higgy in my view are exceptional players for kilmarnock. However it seams I was wrong and we now need to have a good look at how to solve this problem. My only conclusion would be to sack Locke and bring in Mixu and then look to progress from there.

Not in any way defending him as a manager as he does appear to have turned out a brutal manager, but he can probably be excused for a portion of his Hearts time

Quite the opposite IMO - Barry Smith is/was a woeful manager for Dundee but the siege mentality given to us by the -25 points debacle made a team of average shite play well above capacity.

Quite the opposite IMO - Barry Smith is/was a woeful manager for Dundee but the siege mentality given to us by the -25 points debacle made a team of average shite play well above capacity.

Hearts did go through a decent spell of results that season and got a decent points tally I thought given the circumstances

There were mitigating circumstances in the sacking of Kenny Shiels. These will never be made public knowledge but trust me, it was a good decision.

The club took an enormous amount of heat for sacking him. You're telling me that they wouldn't have "accidentally leaked" these mitigating circumstances to a friendly journalist (eg that w**k Burns from the Daily Express) in order to get fans back onside?

It clearly wasn't a good decision given what has happened since. There was absolutely no pressure on him from any of the support and getting rid of him started a decline which still hasn't been arrested over two years later. The appointment of Johnston was understandable but proved to be a very bad one. Appointing Locke was a ludicrous decision and damaged the reputation of Jim Mann's reign before it even started.

Higgy flatters to decieve tbh.

He has the potential to be very good but in reality he just doesn't bother half the time.

In the end with us he was more often having a strop or losing the nut and picking up daft bookings.

We are absolutely hopeless at the moment.

It's really not surprising though to see the usual suspects go down the "its dey shit SEVCO signings LOL" route. What a ridiculously simplistic way of looking at things. As was said before the season started, our signings on paper were improvements on the season previous.

However... Making good signings is only part of the job, and if you as a manager have no idea how to use those signings properly, then what's the point? Gary Locke has absolutely zero clue in how to use Kris Boyd effectively, and unless he sorts it then that will be his death knell. We have nobody in midfield who can put their foot on the ball and making a driving run or telling pass, e.g. and that means Boyd is continually exposed up-front on his own.

We have two midfielders in Hamill and Robinson who seem intent, on seemingly Locke's instruction, to drop wide to cover for Westlake or Smith when they make a run forward. This then leaves our full-backs out of position, nobody in central midfield other than wingers who've dropped in to cover and Boyd again, alone up-front. It's an absolute shambles.

As an aside, I had a meeting with Nicola from the club last Tuesday who told us that Gary Locke refused an interview with the podcast because of "things we've said about the Dundee performance". I replied that I was more than willing to talk face-to-face and explain why I said what I did. Gary was too busy. If we had a sit-down interview with him, I'd have asked about some of his tactical decisions, and he knows that he'd have questions other than "tough loss today, Gary" to content with so refused. Oh well...

article-2629907-1DDEDBE800000578-349_634

Three. Year. Deal.

image.png

lock_512x288.jpg

?

Rab Douglas, Gary Ivine, Matt Lockwood, Craig Forsyth, Stephen O'Donnell, Nicky Riley, Gary Harkins and Sean Higgins were regulars in that team, and Griffiths was there for the start of it.

The squad was reduced but the bottom half of the league was very poor that season. Barry Smith still had a very good team for the First Division, albeit he had to fill in gaps here and there. The siege mentality was there for everyone to see, but at the end of the day Dundee's first XI was as good as Dunfermline's, with a lot of experience to deal with the pressure, which made Smith's job easier than if he had a team lacking experience. Forsyth was the only one of those listed without good experience, but he was blossoming as a player that season and was as good as anyone for his position. Hearts had good young players but they weren't established and understandably didn't cope as well with the pressure.

Locke and Smith were both rookie managers but Locke's job was a lot more difficult, with hindsight. IMO.

As an aside, I had a meeting with Nicola from the club last Tuesday who told us that Gary Locke refused an interview with the podcast because of "things we've said about the Dundee performance". I replied that I was more than willing to talk face-to-face and explain why I said what I did. Gary was too busy. If we had a sit-down interview with him, I'd have asked about some of his tactical decisions, and he knows that he'd have questions other than "tough loss today, Gary" to content with so refused. Oh well...

Similar happened with the Jagscast a few seasons back where a certain player wouldn't come on because he wasn't happy at certain questions from fans when it was opened out on twitter and facebook to get questions that people wanted to ask him. I think you just have to either choose between being able to criticise when it's fair enough to do so or if you want the club to be involved then you have to make it horrendous by pretending everything is fine when you've just been pumped 4-0 at home.

Similar happened with the Jagscast a few seasons back where a certain player wouldn't come on because he wasn't happy at certain questions from fans when it was opened out on twitter and facebook to get questions that people wanted to ask him. I think you just have to either choose between being able to criticise when it's fair enough to do so or if you want the club to be involved then you have to make it horrendous by pretending everything is fine when you've just been pumped 4-0 at home.

Sounds eerily similar. We were basically told that we'd be given access to club contacts such as Ray Montgomerie, Garry Hay etc, but had no chance of getting current players or members of the coaching team until we became nicey nicey.

My argument was that quite possibly fans would want to hear from the manager/coaches about what went wrong in-depth and what steps we'll make to rectify it. But apparently, the Supporters Association will be getting access and not us so they can ask Lockey what his favourite food is.

?

Rab Douglas, Gary Ivine, Matt Lockwood, Craig Forsyth, Stephen O'Donnell, Nicky Riley, Gary Harkins and Sean Higgins were regulars in that team, and Griffiths was there for the start of it.

The squad was reduced but the bottom half of the league was very poor that season. Barry Smith still had a very good team for the First Division, albeit he had to fill in gaps here and there. The siege mentality was there for everyone to see, but at the end of the day Dundee's first XI was as good as Dunfermline's, with a lot of experience to deal with the pressure, which made Smith's job easier than if he had a team lacking experience. Forsyth was the only one of those listed without good experience, but he was blossoming as a player that season and was as good as anyone for his position. Hearts had good young players but they weren't established and understandably didn't cope as well with the pressure.

Locke and Smith were both rookie managers but Locke's job was a lot more difficult, with hindsight. IMO.

Oh we had a good core of a team no doubt, but we also had guys like Neil McCann, Jake Hyde, a local junior player, various youngsters (Leighton McIntosh FFS) and 2 of the above (Riley and O'Donnell - spent more time injured than playing) - Higgins career since shows how good he was tbh. Then you have Witteveen, Sansara...... We had a good starting XI but no squad depth whatsoever and so often that is what kills you.

Overcoming the 25 points was amazing enough but we were (from memory) 1 point off winning the league had we not had the deduction - there is no way that squad was as good as that. Certainly nowhere near good enough to justify a 23 game unbeaten run? Never mind under a rookie manager.

My argument was that quite possibly fans would want to hear from the manager/coaches about what went wrong in-depth and what steps we'll make to rectify it. But apparently, the Supporters Association will be getting access and not us so they can ask Lockey what his favourite food is.

It was pretty naive of you to expect that you'd get that sort of access. I doubt any other club in world football has a manager who explains in-depth tactical decisions to some random fans. All it would take would be an opposition manager to listen to the podcast and they could then use that as part of their pre-match preparation for the next time they play Killie.

Sounds eerily similar. We were basically told that we'd be given access to club contacts such as Ray Montgomerie, Garry Hay etc, but had no chance of getting current players or members of the coaching team until we became nicey nicey.

No offence QLP but are you qualified to probe into a football managers in depth tactics and question his decisions etc?

I think I know fucking loads about football but I would never dream of walking up to, say, Paul Hartley and saying - "here, Paul, can you not see that Clarkson is pure dug shite and shouldn't be near the team. We need to get Luka on and get him holding it up with wingers running off him."

Someone I know was at the Utd Doors open day the other day and approached Zwick and told him he's doing really well but he needs to work on coming for his crosses. My pal played in goals Sunday League from U/9s to 11's before re-inventing himself as a holding midfielder because he was utter guff in the goal - yet here he is offering advice to a full time professional......

ETA - my pal was confused and disappointed that Zwick just gave him a funny look and walked off!

Archived