Gary Locke OUT!

Oh we had a good core of a team no doubt, but we also had guys like Neil McCann, Jake Hyde, a local junior player, various youngsters (Leighton McIntosh FFS) and 2 of the above (Riley and O'Donnell - spent more time injured than playing) - Higgins career since shows how good he was tbh. Then you have Witteveen, Sansara...... We had a good starting XI but no squad depth whatsoever and so often that is what kills you.

Overcoming the 25 points was amazing enough but we were (from memory) 1 point off winning the league had we not had the deduction - there is no way that squad was as good as that. Certainly nowhere near good enough to justify a 23 game unbeaten run? Never mind under a rookie manager.

I think you're over-estimating the quality of the rest of the division. Raith Rovers finished second - I think only a couple of their players would have got into Dundee's team.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was pretty naive of you to expect that you'd get that sort of access. I doubt any other club in world football has a manager who explains in-depth tactical decisions to some random fans. All it would take would be an opposition manager to listen to the podcast and they could then use that as part of their pre-match preparation for the next time they play Killie.

More listeners? Win win.

Seriously though, it wouldn't have been "such and such is rubbish and why won't you do such and such", it was pitched as more of a "explain your team selection against Dundee e.g. and why you thought it was right." and being able to dedicate more time to it than say a 3 minute website interview.

My biggest issue wasn't that in particular though, it was that GL had heard what we said and as such denied us access to players/management/staff etc for the longer sit-down career interviews we'd been planning and that the club had initially okayed. The post-Dundee off-the-cuff one was actually Nicola at the club's initial suggestion, but which was vetoed by GL.

ETA - we were in the room next door to Gary at the time, and I offered to go and have a one-on-one chat to explain myself in order to try and remedy the situation.

The club took an enormous amount of heat for sacking him. You're telling me that they wouldn't have "accidentally leaked" these mitigating circumstances to a friendly journalist (eg that w**k Burns from the Daily Express) in order to get fans back onside?

It clearly wasn't a good decision given what has happened since. There was absolutely no pressure on him from any of the support and getting rid of him started a decline which still hasn't been arrested over two years later. The appointment of Johnston was understandable but proved to be a very bad one. Appointing Locke was a ludicrous decision and damaged the reputation of Jim Mann's reign before it even started.

Spot on.

MJ was getting serious abuse to months following the sacking. He leaks stuff to Burns all the time and if these mitigating circumstances existed then they would have got out.

Sheils went onto work with the SFA shortly.aftergetting sacked so I'd love to hear these cirumstances!

But apparently, the Supporters Association will be getting access and not us so they can ask Lockey what his favourite food is.

Can't wait to hear that. If the club want to control the content they should set up their own, I'm sure John Barnes or another local journalist would do a weekly interview with manager or players. Outsourcing to Supporters Association is a recipe for disaster.

Killies "good squad, shite manager chat" is all very similar to how St Mirren used to claim they had a top six squad who were just unlucky

Killies "good squad, shite manager chat" is all very similar to how St Mirren used to claim they had a top six squad who were just unlucky

The difference being though no killie fan is claiming it's a top 6 squad, it's just a better squad than the utter dross we've endured over the last two seasons.

If our current squad was managed properly my prediction for the season would be a comfortable 7th or 8th place finish, no where near the relegation dog fight but not yet good enough for top 6.

Sadly we have Gary Locke in charge and will more than likely be going into Saturdays game at Thistle with 0 points and 0 goals.

You're telling me that they wouldn't have "accidentally leaked" these mitigating circumstances to a friendly journalist (eg that w**k Burns from the Daily Express) in order to get fans back onside?

Sheils went onto work with the SFA shortly.aftergetting sacked so I'd love to hear these cirumstances!

I'm not going to discuss what happened, particularly on an open forum but the harsh top 6 or sack contract given to Shiels after he won the cup was as a result of some off the field issues as much as on the field results. There are good reasons as to why the club wouldn't release this stuff. In fact, very few people even at the club know about them so I'd very much doubt the SFA knows.

Hearts did go through a decent spell of results that season and got a decent points tally I thought given the circumstances

Just because we pumped Aberdeen all the time doesn't mean we were any good that season.

I'm getting fed up with fans of other clubs telling me that Locke did a good job under difficult circumstances at Hearts. While it was no doubt tough he was quite obviously a terrible manager, which is being borne out at Killie.

His signings have been awful and they'd be lucky to finish any higher than 10th under a decent manager. On track to struggle it out with Hamilton as it stands.

I'm not going to discuss what happened, particularly on an open forum but the harsh top 6 or sack contract given to Shiels after he won the cup was as a result of some off the field issues as much as on the field results. There are good reasons as to why the club wouldn't release this stuff. In fact, very few people even at the club know about them so I'd very much doubt the SFA knows.

Cool, most people at the club don't even know, but someone decided to share it with you.

Putting 2 + 2 together I guess you're meaning it has something to do with our two Nigerian acquisitions.

Cool, most people at the club don't even know, but someone decided to share it with you.

Putting 2 + 2 together I guess you're meaning it has something to do with our two Nigerian acquisitions.

Exactly craigkillie. I'm sorry that they didn't decide to tell you.

Not the Nigerian's QLP. Really don't want to discuss it as it's a very sensitive subject and the person who told me trusted me. All I wanted to say is that perhaps some of the love for Shiels is misplaced.

Archived