2015 US Open Tennis

Elixir

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was disappointing to see what short work Stan made of Anderson :(

Murray would have made short work of that Kevin Anderson too. Anderson was utter garbage.

The semi finals will be quite interesting just now. Wawrinka/Federer matches are usually top notch entertainment with both taking their A game. Think Stan has too many weak service games to keep Federer under sustained pressure, but if Stanimal shows up he might just bash him off the court. Although Ashe isn't anywhere near the speed of Armstrong.

Djokovic was dreadful against Lopez. If Lopez was a bit smarter he would have taken that fourth set and piled the pressure on Novak. Djokovic wasn't moving as well. If Cilic is to stand a chance he has to serve big and consistently. Djokovic normally deals with him so well though. We will probably end up with a Djokovic-Federer final, but hopefully there is one upset at least.

I only saw the second and third sets, but I thought Vinci played Serena expertly. Making her take shots on the move and giving her shots with no pace, and lots of spin. Kept extracting error after error from Serena exposing the weaknesses in her game. The two sublime drop volleys at the net when she was serving for the match were exceptional.

I used to like Serena. Her constant being on the verge of tears when her opponent nets and she wins the point just annoys me. You seen all her dirty wee tricks today - delaying the server, primal screaming on an opponents error etc. The pressure finally took its toll on Serena and Vinci was there playing solid tennis at the end to take advantage of the pressure.

Serena stays on 21 and I hope that's all she gets. It did whet the appetite for the men's semi finals tonight. Anyone brave enough to back the outsiders tonight?

I only saw the second and third sets, but I thought Vinci played Serena expertly. Making her take shots on the move and giving her shots with no pace, and lots of spin. Kept extracting error after error from Serena exposing the weaknesses in her game. The two sublime drop volleys at the net when she was serving for the match were exceptional.

I used to like Serena. Her constant being on the verge of tears when her opponent nets and she wins the point just annoys me. You seen all her dirty wee tricks today - delaying the server, primal screaming on an opponents error etc. The pressure finally took its toll on Serena and Vinci was there playing solid tennis at the end to take advantage of the pressure.

Serena stays on 21 and I hope that's all she gets. It did whet the appetite for the men's semi finals tonight. Anyone brave enough to back the outsiders tonight?

There were a couple of points where Serena suddenly started grunting mid-point after being silent for the first few shots - it seemed that Vinci picked up on all of this and gave it straight back to her.

Delighted that she lost - in terms of wins and dominance, she may be up there with Graf, but in terms of class, she is nowhere near.

PTiFMWH.jpg

Great win for the unseeded Vinci who gave up playing in the doubles this year to concentrate on her singles career.

So we will have a new major title winner this year from the all Italian final.

The last & only previous Female Italian Grand Slam winner is Francesca Schiavone who won the French Open in 2010.

Archived