Highlights from 2nd leg:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/the-big-game/906499/video-big-game-highlights-cove-rangers-fall-short-bid-overhaul-edinburgh-city/

Remarkable quotes from the Cove Rangers manager in the post-match interview there and in HFLHub. "It's not my brand of football... I would describe it as negative type football" and then "there were some mysterious decisions from the officials over the two legs it must be a different set of rules... I do find the style of football Edinburgh have got not to my liking, it's very negative".

To have lost 3-0 at home; then 4-1 on aggregate; had only the minority of possession; recorded perhaps a third of the shots on target of City, who also missed two one-on-ones and had a penalty shout denied; would seem an advert for more teams to shift to "negative football"?

Also felt their disallowed goal should have stood and it might have changed things (they were 4-0 down at this point with perhaps half-an-hour left) - it's obvious the City keeper goes up, catches it with 2 hands, then is shoulder-charged into the goal by a Cove player who doesn't play the ball at all (9:45 in highlights)  :lol:!!

Surprised to read in the paper that Cove missed a big player last week as he went golfing in Turkey.

They also changed their 'keeper on Saturday - the first-choice was on his stag trip in Budapest.

Sheran's never short of an excuse when the result goes against his team, as it very frequently did during his spells in charge of Montrose and Peterhead.

Quite clearly ludicrous comments after City played Cove off the park in the first leg and did what they had to do this time around.

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheran should have done the decent thing and told Edinburgh not to bother with the second leg and had Cove scratch from the tie. They had players who couldn't be arsed showing up, and the one who did for the first leg might as well have not bothered.

I'm beginning to think Cove weren't quite as keen on promotion as they've been letting on.

It's about time the clubs opened up about exactly what the SFA said at the meeting to decide about the pyramid. Too many rumours flying about from reliable sources, and that's two championship winning teams exiting the playoffs with folk thinking they threw their games. Not good enough.

Alternatively, the HL isn't as good as some people think it is. At every 'application' process at least one HL team has applied to join the league. Cove tried in 2002 and 2008. Are people suggesting they would have turned the place down if they'd been selected?

Alternatively, the HL isn't as good as some people think it is. At every 'application' process at least one HL team has applied to join the league. Cove tried in 2002 and 2008. Are people suggesting they would have turned the place down if they'd been selected?

It's not necessarily the club who can't be arsed, could just be the players.

What reason would they have for that though realistically?

Looks like Edinburgh City are just comfortably the best team in the non leagues at the moment.

That could be, and is, leveled at players from clubs in every league. I can't think of a reason why HL players, specifically, can't be arsed to win play-off games after presumabley busting a gut all season to win the HL but players from L2 or LL clubs can be arsed in play-offs.

Is it not just far more likely that HL fans can't quite handle the fact that their teams are not as good as they always thought they were once they've actually been tested and are scrambling for excuses?

Also, why the f**k could Brora be bothered to beat EC last season but not Montrose?

HL supporters have a comically over-inflated sense of the quality of that league.

City did lose 2-1 at home by Buckie in the Scottish Cup - which seemed to imbue overconfidence in HL fans before the playoffs.

Overall, however, their ongoing record v Highland clubs is very solid:

2007-08

Clachnacuddin 2-2 Edinburgh City

Edinburgh City 1-0 Clachnacuddin

2008-09

Edinburgh City 2-0 Nairn County

Edinburgh City 0-0 Wick Academy

Wick Academy 1-4 Edinburgh City

2009-10

Edinburgh City 3-1 Keith

2010-11

Edinburgh City 1-0 Clachnacuddin

2011-12

Edinburgh City 3-0 Brora Rangers

2013-14

Golspie Sutherland 0-4 Edinburgh City

Edinburgh City 4-4 Fraserburgh

Fraserburgh 2-0 Edinburgh City

2014-15

Edinburgh City 5-0 Fort William

Edinburgh City 2-3 Brora Rangers

Edinburgh City 1-1 Brora Rangers

Brora Rangers 1-1 Edinburgh City

2015-16

Edinburgh City 1-2 Buckie Thistle

Cove Rangers 0-3 Edinburgh City

Edinburgh City 1-1 Cove Rangers

In recent seasons they've also beaten Auchinleck Talbot, Shotts (when Junior Cup holders), and Montrose, and taken Queen's Park to penalties.

That could be, and is, leveled at players from clubs in every league. I can't think of a reason why HL players, specifically, can't be arsed to win play-off games after presumabley busting a gut all season to win the HL but players from L2 or LL clubs can be arsed in play-offs.

Is it not just far more likely that HL fans can't quite handle the fact that their teams are not as good as they always thought they were once they've actually been tested and are scrambling for excuses?

Also, why the f**k could Brora be bothered to beat EC last season but not Montrose?

HL supporters have a comically over-inflated sense of the quality of that league.

The suspicion is down to the number of players going on holiday, stag parties or anniversary dinner parties to avoid possibly the most important games in the history of their clubs. Several Brora players and their main sponsor were quite up front about not wanting promotion. It's down to the travel time, especially for midweek games when trying to hold down a full time job. I don't see it being so much of a deal for Cove though as it would be for Brora.

The suspicion is down to the number of players going on holiday, stag parties or anniversary dinner parties to avoid possibly the most important games in the history of their clubs. Several Brora players and their main sponsor were quite up front about not wanting promotion.

How many players for cove done this? Seems mental although maybe they had things booked before they knew they were going to win the league...

I can't see any reason why they'd prefer to stay in the HL instead. Travelling times wouldn't even change that much would they?

How many players for cove done this? Seems mental although maybe they had things booked before they knew they were going to win the league...

I can't see any reason why they'd prefer to stay in the HL instead. Travelling times wouldn't even change that much would they?

Only the keeper I believe.

Not that much for Cove with dual carraigeways to most of their League two away games. But in the HL about half their away games are only about an hour or less away.

Not that much for Cove with dual carraigeways to most of their League two away games. But in the HL about half their away games are only an hour or less away.

Be 2 trips to Arbroath/Mo/Forfar/Glasgow/Elgin/Cumbernauld/Stirling which would be nothing and two long trips to Annan and Berwick which would both be quicker than long ones to Wick and Fort William for example.

It's down to the travel time, especially for midweek games when trying to hold down a full time job. I don't see it being so much of a deal for Cove though as it would be for Brora.

Which makes the assumption that Brora would have retained the same squad when promoted - as Inverness, Ross Cty and Peterhead found, when you actually move into the senior leagues you need to leave the majority of HFL players and indeed HFL thinking behind if you want to get on in the leagues.

Which makes the assumption that Brora would have retained the same squad when promoted - as Inverness, Ross Cty and Peterhead found, when you actually move into the senior leagues you need to leave the majority of HFL players and indeed HFL thinking behind if you want to get on in the leagues.

Maybe that's another reason why some players wouldn't be too keen on promotion.

Be 2 trips to Arbroath/Mo/Forfar/Glasgow/Elgin/Cumbernauld/Stirling which would be nothing and two long trips to Annan and Berwick which would both be quicker than long ones to Wick and Fort William for example.

Think there was talk on the p and j about travelling actually being reduced ( perhaps not in mileage but in time due to the type of road)

Think there was talk on the p and j about travelling actually being reduced ( perhaps not in mileage but in time due to the type of road)

Done a few quick looks at lunch after this thread and I'd say that would definitely be the case.

Archived