• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right to say "do not underestimate the Shire".

Proud to be the Shire may be the club's unofficial motto but it's more than that. Most people who have anything to do with the club end up "proud to be the Shire"

The old club has a spirit of its own and will not easily relinquish its SPFL status.  

You are right to say "do not underestimate the Shire".

Proud to be the Shire may be the club's unofficial motto but it's more than that. Most people who have anything to do with the club end up "proud to be the Shire"

The old club has a spirit of its own and will not easily relinquish its SPFL status.

There feels like a wee bit of "jumpers for goalposts" about this. If there were such an indomitable spirit they wouldn't be sitting marooned where they are. They're clearly the worst team in the SPFL and are therefore eminently beatable - spirit or not. That's setting aside the fact that they should be going straight through the trapdoor and not getting an undeserved second chance. The Scottish pyramid would do well to reflect the English model from top to bottom.

There feels like a wee bit of "jumpers for goalposts" about this. If there were such an indomitable spirit they wouldn't be sitting marooned where they are. They're clearly the worst team in the SPFL and are therefore eminently beatable - spirit or not. That's setting aside the fact that they should be going straight through the trapdoor and not getting an undeserved second chance. The Scottish pyramid would do well to reflect the English model from top to bottom.

Give it time. It's not so long since the bottom side in the English Football League would be re-elected based on how popular the chairman was with the other clubs.

The only reason they've got two relegation slots at the bottom is because the Conference threatened to use play-offs to decide which team came up. I doubt there'll need to be the same kind of stand-off when the SPFL's satisfied that teams going up & down will be able to cope with their new surroundings.

Give it time. It's not so long since the bottom side in the English Football League would be re-elected based on how popular the chairman was with the other clubs.

The only reason they've got two relegation slots at the bottom is because the Conference threatened to use play-offs to decide which team came up. I doubt there'll need to be the same kind of stand-off when the SPFL's satisfied that teams going up & down will be able to cope with their new surroundings.

Pardon me for asking, but could you expand on this bit please? Why would this 'threat' have the FL in a panic?

Pardon me for asking, but could you expand on this bit please? Why would this 'threat' have the FL in a panic?

The Football League threatened to withdraw the promotion slot altogether if the Conference went through with it...you'd need to ask them why it bothered them so much, considering that the top four in the Conference normally consisted of former League clubs anyway, by that point. The Conference decided they were going to push ahead and go to court if their play-off winners were refused entry. The parties had talks and decided to expand to two relegation slots in the current format.

It's not something the Conference wanted to do anyway; they were getting fed up with being fobbed off with regard to extra promotion places. They considered it was making the top half of their league dull, as most clubs had nothing to play for in the last few months (which is the argument for play-offs in general).

Couldn't agree more about East Stirling. If there's one club that does look like they'll be pushovers in relinquishing their league status it's them. They've finished bottom of the league more times than I care to remember over the last couple of decades.

For all the cliches about fighting spirit and pride, there's very little evidence to support it. The sooner they go and are forced to regain the league place that they should've lost a long, long time ago the better for everyone, them included.

Good luck to the Shire, a club who are used to battling against adversity.Think they have a better than even chance of coming through this.

How are they used to battling adversity? I'll give them credit for getting through the trauma of losing their ground but their adversity on the pitch hasn't really been tested in so much as they've managed to finish bottom of the pile on many occasions without having to give a f**k because there were no consequences.

How are they used to battling adversity? I'll give them credit for getting through the trauma of losing their ground but their adversity on the pitch hasn't really been tested in so much as they've managed to finish bottom of the pile on many occasions without having to give a f**k because there were no consequences.

The problem the Hobbits have is their severe lack of revenue streams meaning if they produce any half decent players (& their under 19 squad a few years ago were certainly an eyebrow raiser in comparison to the first team squad) they can expect them to be poached come the next transfer window. As recently as 2009 and 2010 they finished 3rd - but that was when they had that English butcher punting money into them & they could keep a good squad together.

Once the move to Little Kerse goes through there should be a massive change in their fortunes, although I wonder whether it may come too late not merely to save their League status (for the record, I think the Lilywhites are going to take their league spot) but perhaps their existence.

Once the move to Little Kerse goes through there should be a massive change in their fortunes, although I wonder whether it may come too late not merely to save their League status (for the record, I think the Lilywhites are going to take their league spot) but perhaps their existence.

I don't think that move will be happening anytime soon :(

Shire to beat Edinburgh so no change next year. Cove just not good enough and mid table mediocrity in HL looms for the Toonsers next year. Brora to claim HL next year and finally get up into Div 2

And instant relegation for mega diddies Brora, exciting times

Archived