The 'Stigma' of Period Blood

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/kiran-gandhi-woman-runs-london-marathon-without-tampon-to-fight-the-stigma-of-a-womans-period-10447363.html

The Feminazis strike again.

The existence of tampons isn't an example of 'oppression', I'm afraid. If I was bleeding from my cock-a-doodle-do (or any other part of my body), I'd probably stick a plaster on it before running a marathon. Partly for my own comfort, and partly because it's a pretty disgusting thing for other people to see.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've stopped using toilet roll in solidarity with people who don't have access to it. I'm sure my clarty arse and dangleberries are of comfort to them when they feel bad about their poverty.

"Hey, we might be dirt poor and live in a literal shit hole, but some musician lassie didn't wear a tampon one day to make us feel better, so everything's cool".

If she was trying to fight stigma why did she wear red shorts that cover the blood stains? In the photo at the end it isn't clear that is period blood, it could be that she slightly pissed herself or she was running with her vibrator in.

If she really wanted to draw attention to herself (and not the self congratualatory attentio recieved from being in a national newspaper) she should have worn white like the women do in the tampax ads.

Nothing like raising awareness of/supporting people who live in societies and cultures where femininity and symbols of it like this lead to horrific oppression like running for... Breast Cancer Care.

But hey, now I know this Harvard Business School Graduate and professional drummer has a website which I'm sure I'll visit, so it's a win for legitimately oppressed women everywhere and her!

I don't have a vagina but I'd imagine a wee block of white material wedged up there might be uncomfortable to run 26 miles with.

But, to look at this from a feminist slant, we've been arguing for a while now that feminine hygiene products shouldn't have V.A.T. imposed on them as they are not a luxury but a necessity. Is this woman arguing the opposite now?

Anyway fair play to the lass for sticking through to the end. Couldnae have been a pleasant experience

Archived