Rangers v St Johnstone

Solitaire

St Johnstone have only won 2 games from 7 this season. They are clearly not very good. I expect a home win and the tedious 'budgets' issue to be raised after we've pumped them.

Budgets eh? It would appear spending lots of money is no substitute for experience and ability.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we're going to play like that with the 2 full backs bombing on all the time we're going to need a proper holding mid. Halliday isn't it. I feel he'd be better off further forward tbh. Maybe Eustace is the answer if he ever gets fit but we're going to get caught out against better opposition playing like that as we seen tonight.

Agree. Do Rangers fans feel Warburton was a bit naive/ arrogant in his tactics? He's obviously been a breath of fresh air compared to what you've had to put up with the last few seasons, but he just seemed to treat us like any other side they've faced... Just go for it and we'll pin them back and steamroller over the top of them. We're by no means world beaters, but surely there was the possibility of a more difficult game due to playing in a higher league?

He left so much space at the back it was unbelievable, and they constantly looked vulnerable on the counter attack. Even at 1 or 2-0 the game wasn't dead but it seemed quite a gung ho approach for that early on.

His comments before the game of "it doesn't matter about the opposition, it's down to what we do" are all well and good, but he must have been aware of O'Halloran's threat beforehand, and yet seemed to do little to counter it.

True, but we've seen teams double up on him and sometimes even 3 players on him. There didn't often seem to be a lot of protection for whoever he was facing

The space he got in the first half was astonishing - particularly at MacLean's chance. Really surprised Rangers pushed up so far.

The only way to deal with MOH I suppose would be to keep back and make him think about what he needs to do. It's that element of his game that has been weak - though in last month or so his delivery has been good too.

I thought Rangers looked decent. If I was a supporter though, I'd be questioning why they continued to try to weave pretty patterns through Saints' defence - it wasn't working - and why Miller stayed on the park - he wasn't working either.

[EDIT to add: MOH's consistency this season is remarkable. Just about our best player every single game - and realistically the only reason we've taken any points so far. If he keeps up this trajectory of improvement, big clubs will surely be in for him in January]

The space he got in the first half was astonishing - particularly at MacLean's chance. Really surprised Rangers pushed up so far.

The only way to deal with MOH I suppose would be to keep back and make him think about what he needs to do. It's that element of his game that has been weak - though in last month or so his delivery has been good too.

I thought Rangers looked decent. If I was a supporter though, I'd be questioning why they continued to try to weave pretty patterns through Saints' defence - it wasn't working - and why Miller stayed on the park - he wasn't working either.

[EDIT to add: MOH's consistency this season is remarkable. Just about our best player every single game - and realistically the only reason we've taken any points so far. If he keeps up this trajectory of improvement, big clubs will surely be in for him in January]

I'd say the best way to deal with MOH would be to limit his passing options. If the marking had been better for our first goal or if Wilson (think it was him) had made an effort to get between where MOH was headed and the action in the middle we wouldn't have scored. MOH would have either tried to run it into the box and good chance he would have been tackled or he would have hit a hopeful ball across which you'd hope would be cut out.

However this didn't happen and an average Rangers side were beaten by a Saints side that didn't play all that well in an attacking sense if the truth be told. Bossed the midfield and were solid in defence and scored some goals.

We got what we deserved last night and so did Saints. Back to earth with a bump, beaten by a team that defended well in numbers and made the most of the chances presented to them, could easily have been 3 at half time (McLean) through some shocking positions and decisions taken across our defence.

Great strike from Lappin but it was schoolboy stuff to give him that sort of space. Early 3rd goal killed it 2nd half, although wasn't quite back in my seat and missed it. Thought we then made much more a go of it though, would be interested to see the possession stats, but they're worth f*ck all if not converted into chances and goals.

Couple of other points, why was Waghorn stuck out wide right for almost the whole game, clearly wasn't working?

Was Lee Wallace completely match fit?

Kiernan and Wilson, gonna try talking to each other?

Oduwa, mon tae f*ck son, when you've beaten the guy once, head up and see what's on eh? Wasn't difficult to see why ha came over an gestured an apology to the fans at the final whistle, he knew he'd had a shocker.

Any chance we can work on getting numbers into the opposition box this week Mark and concentrate on the final ball, we wasted far to much time allowing Saints to set their lines comfortably through our own indecision.

Other than that was still a reasonably entertaining game overall, hope fully a blip but no insurmountable problems, another great goal from Tav btw

Well played Saints, came with a plan that was executed perfectly.

The real positive was the manner in which we took our 3 goals. We looked very dangerous on the counter-attack and all of our goals were excellent in different ways (although the Rangers obviously could have done better defensively).

It's fun to wind up some of the distraught Rangers fans on the Daily Record Facebook page who are claiming that they lost to a 'negative' team, despite being 3 goals down by the 46th minute.. I'm always flabbergasted by the refusal to acknowledge their own shortcomings.

Having all the possession means nothing when you don't have any real quality. Can't think of any rangers player who's is oozing with quality. Ie tavernier - great offensively, abysmal defensively, oduwa - very skillful but 9 times out of 10 slows the game down. And so on and so forth.

It's the Rangers way. No respect for anyone and a misplaced sense of superiority. If the manager and coaching staff had bothered to do their homework instead of expecting a win then they might have done better last night.

It's quite funny how often lower league teams have that attitude. The year we won the cup, we beat Forfar 4-0 at Station Park. In his post match interview, Dick Campbell said he didn't expect us to be anywhere near as good as we were :lol:

Apart from the result I actually enjoyed the game, obviously one of the drawbacks to our way of play is that a counterattacking side can punish us and it reminded us that we are not the finished article.

Should we have altered our style and played a more traditional system?

No, for years watching our games was a chore, something you had to do - even winning was like reading Enrico annonis posts at times but we're keeping the baw on the deck and passing the baw around.

Short term we'll have a few more hiccups like that but hopefully in the long term it'll be good for us.

Expected the saints fans to run it in but they strangely seemed more interested in singing about their own team.

Apart from the result I actually enjoyed the game, obviously one of the drawbacks to our way of play is that a counterattacking side can punish us and it reminded us that we are not the finished article.

Should we have altered our style and played a more traditional system?

No, for years watching our games was a chore, something you had to do - even winning was like reading Enrico annonis posts at times but we're keeping the baw on the deck and passing the baw around.

Short term we'll have a few more hiccups like that but hopefully in the long term it'll be good for us.

Expected the saints fans to run it in but they strangely seemed more interested in singing about their own team.

This is it Bennett , truth is media some of our support and so son have got carried away with our good start , we are still building and learning and last night was a learning curve . Most people in July probably expected our first hiccup to arrive in the first couple of games , as long as the league form continues we have time to regroup and hopefully learn and put up a better showing in the Scottish cup , I still think we will have a few more hiccups this season yet

Like many of the convoluted stats we're now being force fed, possession figures mean f**k all without context. 'Were happy to let you have as much of the ball as you want as we know you'll do sod all with it' isn't a category that actually features much in summary.

Rangers had over 60% possession but only really had the goal and the Waghorn header that looked close to threatening aside from the goal

We had 40%, scored 3 goals, missed an open goal and Foderingham pulled out the best save of the match.

In a match like that, possession really did mean very little.

Rangers had over 60% possession but only really had the goal and the Waghorn header that looked close to threatening aside from the goal

We had 40%, scored 3 goals, missed an open goal and Foderingham pulled out the best save of the match.

In a match like that, possession really did mean very little.

Like many of the convoluted stats we're now being force fed, possession figures mean f**k all without context. 'Were happy to let you have as much of the ball as you want as we know you'll do sod all with it' isn't a category that actually features much in summary.

Broadly this, yeah - a high possession stat in favour of one side may very well indicate that they are playing Barcelona style, lots of nice one-two's and probing before speeding up/drawing someone out of possession in the opponent's final third, or it may indicate that the other side's shape off-the-ball is spot on and/or the ball is constantly going between the defenders and goalkeeper because any time it's past half-way they're getting pressed right back again.

Mannus barely had any saves to make all game; other than the Waghorn header that went wide (not even on target so no save needed) and Mannus' save which he then scrambled away from Miller (left footed snap shot iirc, first half?) they weren't really carved open or left too exposed very often.

edit: an aspect I did enjoy was Wright's managerial experience clearly showing through - the set-piece was spot-on, Lappin being subbed was a great call (O'Halloran going off had me scratching my head a little given how effective he was, but presumably he was knackered so probably the right call) and the defensive shape was clearly well-worked on prior to the game. Warburton has, tbf, got Rangers* looking a lot better technically than McCoist's side did against St Johnstone last time around plus the two 'Well games in the play-off's where they were a hoofball, disorganised, shapeless mess, but still got beaten by the better manager. He made the right noises about learning from the match after the game though, to be fair to him.

Archived