Rangers v St Johnstone

Solitaire

PS - BBC's coverage of the game was embarrassingly biassed towards a wee trophyless team from the championship and didn't pay enough respect to the Premiership team.

You could almost see the mi-optic Pat Nevin choking at the result.

Has Ibrokes settled things with the BBC?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone commented how similar it was to the Motherwell game? Both were 2-0 up at half time and scored straight after the kick off for act deux with Rangers having a lot of the pressure but not a great deal of real attacking threat.

Obviously haven't moved as far forward as they would like to think they have.

Stewart was easily the best of the commentary team, as he seemed fairly neutral. Pat Nevin on the other hand...

"...blah blah Rangers blah...one goal and they'll be the favourites blah...difficult for St Johnstone blah blah..."

"It's interesting to see how Tommy Wright has set his team out tonight, isn't it Pat?"

"Yes, but Rangers blah blah..." :rolleyes:

Lewis McLeod should have his own comedy show at the Fringe:

"Oh no, a goal for St Johnstone...poor start for Rangers..."

"That's another...amazing stuff from the Saints...Rangers up against it now..."

"And St Johnstone have scored...they'll be hoping that the final whistle would blow right now before the Rangers comeback begins..."

"OMFG A GOAL FOR RANGERS!!! ST JOHNSTONE FALLING APART AND THEY'LL NEED A MIRACLE TO STAY IN THIS NOW!!!" :lol:

:lol: spot on :lol:

"That's another feather for Tommy Wrights cap"

St Johnstone have only won 2 games from 7 this season. They are clearly not very good. I expect a home win and the tedious 'budgets' issue to be raised after we've pumped them.

So, I know you and yours failed on the whole pumping front but can we still raise the tedious 'budgets' issue? Still worth discussing IMO.

The rangers excuse list;

1. We don't care about cups

2. St Johnstone are in a higher league

3. We played good in the second half

4. Warburton isn't a fanny who only knows how to have his team playing one dimensional football and has zero ability to mix it up.

:lol: spot on :lol:

"That's another feather for Tommy Wrights cap"

Irritated me with the line "It's going to be a long 21 minutes for St Johnstone now" after Rangers made it 3-1.

Er, no, they are still 2 up and fairly comfortable. Granted had Waghorn scored with his sitter of a header shortly afterward and made it 3-2 it might have become a tense last 20 minutes but he didn't and it never remotely was.

If we're going to play like that with the 2 full backs bombing on all the time we're going to need a proper holding mid. Halliday isn't it. I feel he'd be better off further forward tbh. Maybe Eustace is the answer if he ever gets fit but we're going to get caught out against better opposition playing like that as we seen tonight.

Good brief summary. I was very interested to see if Warburton would play a more cautious approach but I was not surprised he didn't. I have never known two full backs to be so attack minded at the same time. Yes for most of the time in the Championship this formation will win Rangers matches but against teams at a level it won't, as they found out last night. However the goals they lost were very poor defensively and had little to do with Rangers formation however they could have lost other goals when it was due to their offensive formation. Desperately disappointed with the the poor defending at the 2nd and 3rd goal. Goals that you would be disappointed to lose at a much lower level.

I think Halliday can play both defensively and offensively however I don't believe any player can be expected on his own to fill the gaps left by Wallace, Travernier, Zelalem, Oduwa, etc etc and protect Kiernan and Wison who I have said all season they are not good enough to be left exposed by the full backs and others.

Positively....... I thought Rangers passed the ball well tho not providing a final pass to create a goal scoring opportunity. They never gave up. Rangers last season were very very poor and couldn't string three passes together totally different now and yes it was a defeat however their performances compared to last season are night and day imo.

Well done to St Johnstone a good performance and their game plan worked to perfection and scored the goals that mattered at the right time in the match. Good luck to them in the next round.

...we didn't actually play all that well. We surrendered the ball cheaply all night - although Rangers pressed very well - and had no real periods of sustained pressure. Yet their goalkeeper has made the best save of the game and MacLean missed his sitter, in addition to the three goals. I thought we'd have to produce our best performance of the season to win but we didn't and were still comfortable. Other than the period around the goal, I thought we kept them out with relative ease in the second half. Sometimes hard to tell at places like Ibrox how your players are doing with the view afforded but was happy with Easton and Davidson, as well as the front two obviously. Less so with Lappin, who goal apart seemed to find a Rangers player or fan with every pass. Wasn't surprised that Scobbie did fine as he's perfectly capable of it, you just know that in a week, a month, or if you're lucky two, he'll have another nightmare. Rangers were decent and fluid but tactically very poor. They worked hard, which is obviously an improvement on the past few years but didn't really cut us open too often, if at all. It was a good bit of individual play for the goal but struggling to remember them getting in behind us really.

Only got the score last night so am perhaps a bit more detached than having watched it live but, having seen the game this morning, I agree with a lot of this about us. Strip away all the hype and bullshit and we were ok against a lower division team that had been doing well at their level. Nothing more really. We got back on track having lost our superb record in such matches recently but we need to up our game more if we seriously want to get to the final.

Mclean's miss was bad but it was only really a few minutes before Lappin's goal. If Macca had scored Lappin's opportunity wouldn't have come along so it wasn't really an issue.

As Stewart pointed on on screen, Rangers goal was down to Easton not covering where he should have been. Good shot but if Beaston had been in place he wouldn't have scored. Never mind. These things happen.

Irritated me with the line "It's going to be a long 21 minutes for St Johnstone now" after Rangers made it 3-1.

Er, no, they are still 2 up and fairly comfortable. Granted had Waghorn scored with his sitter of a header shortly afterward and made it 3-2 it might have become a tense last 20 minutes but he didn't and it never remotely was.

The only real hiccup moment. It showed why I'm against sitting back when on top. Got to keep going as it is given any game can turn in a moment for a variety of reasons.

Next round's going to be interesting. Some genuinely difficult away ties waiting there now.

Archived