Rangers v St Johnstone

Solitaire

Don't kid yourself that it was your "style" that lost you the game. Saints didn't even have to play well to beat you.

It's laughable to suggest that last nights performance was preferable to the games that were "a chore to watch" given the exodus of Rangers fans from half time onwards.

It certainly wasn't our 'style of play' that lost us the game, but the way we set up and approached the game leaving so much room at the back, deserved punishment, even by a side turned over by Killie at the weekend (and who have been leaking goals), we made it far to easy for Saints, can't blame em for taking advantage though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't kid yourself that it was your "style" that lost you the game. Saints didn't even have to play well to beat you.

It's laughable to suggest that last nights performance was preferable to the games that were "a chore to watch" given the exodus of Rangers fans from half time onwards.

You're trying too hard again.

The real positive was the manner in which we took our 3 goals. We looked very dangerous on the counter-attack and all of our goals were excellent in different ways (although the Rangers obviously could have done better defensively).

It's fun to wind up some of the distraught Rangers fans on the Daily Record Facebook page who are claiming that they lost to a 'negative' team, despite being 3 goals down by the 46th minute.. I'm always flabbergasted by the refusal to acknowledge their own shortcomings.

Your last paragraph kind of sums up the delusion which many of ra peepul continue to labour under. I'm really not sure how a team can set up to defend their way to a three goal lead.

You park the bus and play route one football, fair enough it worked but it's awful to watch.

We should have played Ball instead of Wilson as he would have matched that strikers pace.

It was what we didn't do that cost us, not anything StJohnstone done.

Spoken like a true diddy. "we should've, we could've, we wuz robbed." :lol:

Last night put me in mind of a 7 - 0 hammering Saints got many moons ago at the hands of Rangers at home. This was one of the all time great St.Johnstone sides, playing lovely football to watch. First half we had the majority possession umpteen shots but i think were 4 - 0 down at the break. The way we were dominating midfield and playing didnt even feel like the game was over. The final stats were something like Rangers had 9 shots at goal and we had 20 yet they won 7 - 0.

I think there was only one way to describe the game last night and the previous one mentioned, clinical. That comes from being that bit sharper, i dont think there is that big a gulf between the top two divisions. We have proved over the last few seasons we are very much capable of getting the results when required to be a top half of the top division, and much credit must go to Tommy and his tactics for one off games, but then you also have to wonder about the influence Davidson who was part of that team all tose years ago, and knowing the mentality of the scottish game.

We haven't had a great start to the season, but i think that is due to other teams getting better, and it shows a good bit of improvement in our game that we are being clinical in front of goal again.

I have a lot of time for Warburton, despite the media trying to misrepresent a lot of his comments, he is the steady, grounded, non hysterical type person rangers need in charge to change habits of a lifetime, i just worry King will stick his foot in his mouth one too many times about world domination and Warburton will look for an easier life and success elsewhere.

Your last paragraph kind of sums up the delusion which many of ra peepul continue to labour under. I'm really not sure how a team can set up to defend their way to a three goal lead.

One of them actually said to me, ''If every team played like you did last night, all matches would end 0-0.''

1300.gif

I decided to stop conversing with him shortly after that.

I'm reading some of the previous posts with interest calling Warburton naive and didn't do his homework. You don't honestly believe Warburton went into this game without doing his homework and his game plan was not relayed to the players. As said St Johnstone's first goal was after a very good passing move. We may never know if Rangers defensive set play set up did have a man designated for edge of the box but failed to do his duty. (Normally there is a man put in that area. ) As for the 3rd goal. Taking nothing away from OHalloran, Wilson and Kiernan were caught square and neither of them dropped off to negate the danger of a player running in behind. Very poor to the point of embarrassing defending.

My view is that I do agree that most professional head coaches would not have played such an offensive match against the Saints however this is they way Rangers play every week and it may well be the case that Warburton strongly feels that playing this way every week will gain more points than every other team in the Championship. He therefore decided not to change the system to keep the momentum going.

I'm not saying he was right but let's not forget that Rangers one priority Is to win the Championship. Tbh I never for one moment prior to last night did I see Rangers winning a cup this season. Remember Rangers are a Championship team because that is the league they are in.

Which performances?

Several examples.

The most notable would be the hammering of Hibs in the Petrofac. There's been lots of other free scoring performances as well though.

Now obviously you'll claim that they provide no evidence of being strong enough to go far in Cups. I think it's fair to say though, that they've looked stronger in recent weeks than at any point since liquidation.

Even the lousy McCoist/McDowell sides reached semi finals in each of the bigger cups. The suggestion that the latest side has hitherto looked capable of at least emulating those feats, looks pretty reasonable to me.

bennett, on 23 Sept 2015 - 14:50, said:

Apart from the result I actually enjoyed the game, obviously one of the drawbacks to our way of play is that a counterattacking side can punish us and it reminded us that we are not the finished article.

Should we have altered our style and played a more traditional system?

No, for years watching our games was a chore, something you had to do - even winning was like reading Enrico annonis posts at times but we're keeping the baw on the deck and passing the baw around.

Short term we'll have a few more hiccups like that but hopefully in the long term it'll be good for us.

Expected the saints fans to run it in but they strangely seemed more interested in singing about their own team.

Did you think they were going to take a leaf out of the ICT fans' book?

Rangers had over 60% possession but only really had the goal and the Waghorn header that looked close to threatening aside from the goal

We had 40%, scored 3 goals, missed an open goal and Foderingham pulled out the best save of the match.

In a match like that, possession really did mean very little.

Fully agree although you did miss out that we also hit the bar

Really? Why did so many of your supporters disappear so early if it's so much better to watch? Would you not rather be in the next round instead of playing tippy tappy football and losing?

Yes really, try and chill out a bit and you'll get on better mate.

I'll take a few upsets in the short term if we benefit in the long term.

Archived