Rangers v St Johnstone

Solitaire

Just face facts, your team isn't of a standard to genuinely trouble Premiership opposition yet. The only reason you played better in the second half was that Saints let you, as the game was already won.

Ally McCoist's failures wiped the floor with 3 Premiership teams last season, including St Johnstone. I have no doubt the current Rangers team are of a Premiership standard. How high they would be up the table is up for debate.

Still, very well done to Saints. Rangers fans such as myself have spoken about the clear weakness in the team which is the back 3. I'm not convinced Kiernan or Foderingham will be first team players next season. There's still hope for Wilson, however, but he needs to improve.

One of the Saints goals was exactly like the goals conceded against Burnley and QotS. A simple ball over the top of the centre backs and they always struggle to deal with it. Not good enough.

Another disappointment was Rangers once again taking forever to get the ball into the box. So frustrating watching them pass the ball around and trying to walk the ball into the net. Despite the impressive amount of goals scored by Rangers this season they need to be more direct.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ally McCoist's failures wiped the floor with 3 Premiership teams last season, including St Johnstone. I have no doubt the current Rangers team are of a Premiership standard. How high they would be up the table is up for debate.

Still, very well done to Saints. Rangers fans such as myself have spoken about the clear weakness in the team which is the back 3. I'm not convinced Kiernan or Foderingham will be first team players next season. There's still hope for Wilson, however, but he needs to improve.

One of the Saints goals was exactly like the goals conceded against Burnley and QotS. A simple ball over the top of the centre backs and they always struggle to deal with it. Not good enough.

Another disappointment was Rangers once again taking forever to get the ball into the box. So frustrating watching them pass the ball around and trying to walk the ball into the net. Despite the impressive amount of goals scored by Rangers this season they need to be more direct.

Totally agree. I've already said the third goal defensively was 100% unacceptable. I agree you see it even happening in the best league in the world (allegedly) EPL. It still doesn't make it acceptable. As for 'more direct'. I know what you are saying however teams are sitting so deep and with 10/11 behind the ball making it difficult to find any space. My hunch is that he will not change his ways and his view is this manner of offensive play over the season will secure the Championship. Hibs will always be a threat. It will be interesting what his game plan will be at Easter Road!

I think the game shows that Warburton totally disregarded our strengths, or didn't know what they were. The way he set up totally played into our hands, and he didn't even change things when it was clear we were on top. He either didn't respect us, didn't bother to research us or Rangers aren't where they need to be yet.

I think the game shows that Warburton totally disregarded our strengths, or didn't know what they were. The way he set up totally played into our hands, and he didn't even change things when it was clear we were on top. He either didn't respect us, didn't bother to research us or Rangers aren't where they need to be yet.

I think there was a mixture of all 3 there to be honest mate , in an attacking sense I think we need a poacher type and we should be fine up there , our main issue is defence , we need a holding mild fielder to sit deep infront of the defence again eustace could be the solution -which also gives holiday the chance to play more forward aswell - but time nor by the looks of it fitness is not on his side , as I said we know where the improvements are required and I hope the other night is used as a major learning curve , what is your hoped for St Johnstone this year from what I have heard it's been a hit and miss start this season

I'm really not sure what to expect from us this year. We are far more open now than last year - we scored and conceded 34 goals in our 38 league games last year and we didn't see more than 3 goals in a single match in any competition last season. Indeed, we didn't score 3 goals in a game for around 18 months. This season we've only played 8 league matches, but we've already seen 29 goals in that time. If you add in the cups/Europe - we've played 11 matches and there's been 37 goals.

This season we're good going forward, but individual mistakes and lapses in concentration are letting us down at the back. We've lost our first four away league matches and also away in Europe, (although we've only failed to score in the searing heat of Armenia) so Tuesday was a nice shot in the arm for us. Conversely, we've not lost a home game since February. Tommy's first year in charge started similarly, and we ended up finishing 6th and with us winning the Scottish cup. I can't see us doing that again, but I wouldn't rule us out of the race for the top 6.

I'm really not sure what to expect from us this year. We are far more open now than last year - we scored and conceded 34 goals in our 38 league games last year and we didn't see more than 3 goals in a single match in any competition last season. Indeed, we didn't score 3 goals in a game for around 18 months. This season we've only played 8 league matches, but we've already seen 29 goals in that time. If you add in the cups/Europe - we've played 11 matches and there's been 37 goals.

This season we're good going forward, but individual mistakes and lapses in concentration are letting us down at the back. We've lost our first four away league matches and also away in Europe, (although we've only failed to score in the searing heat of Armenia) so Tuesday was a nice shot in the arm for us. Conversely, we've not lost a home game since February. Tommy's first year in charge started similarly, and we ended up finishing 6th and with us winning the Scottish cup. I can't see us doing that again, but I wouldn't rule us out of the race for the top 6.

Thought yous had a great defensive performance on Tuesday night but can see where you are coming from with lapses in concentration as two of our three main chances in the game -oduwa hitting the bar and taverrnier scoring - came from players individual play rather than us trying to pass the ball into your goals which you were coping with really well , might have been a case of your players backing off a little to much in those occasions which opened those gaps but to be fair after oduwa hit the bar yous had him closed down more or less every time he got the ball round about your box afterwards ,

I know it's not the same sort of shock result against rangers the likes of when you beat us under le guen at ibrox or the 4-1 game under smith at mcdermid park but it is the sort of result or game that can give your players a huge confidence boost and maybe you'd can kick on from here , I say you seeing top 6 am I right in saying yous came 4th last season , can you not see yous getting that position again this season ?

Wiped the floor with! :lol: Magnificent.

Having been able to basically avoid the supremacist lowlifes since their club died, I'd forgotten just how delusional blue bigots are. The beauty of the shite they're spouting is that it confirms their position in Scottish football as a 2nd division club. Fans of almost every lower league side come out with the same stuff during cup competitions. We did it ourselves. That Rangers International fans spout lower league cliche after lower cliche whilst claiming to be the people is utterly priceless.

Did you expect him to do a we're not worthy routine?

He's already stated many times that we'll play the same way no matter who we play, nothing to do with lacking respect. If we lose some games by doing that then meh..... It may work in the long term or it may not, its a chance worth taking.

Did you expect him to do a we're not worthy routine?He's already stated many times that we'll play the same way no matter who we play, nothing to do with lacking respect. If we lose some games by doing that then meh..... It may work in the long term or it may not, its a chance worth taking.

Except it's not if there is a clear weakness in the game plan. Which you do have. It's arrogant management I think that the one system will work against everyone. We proved exactly how to play against you, if you play that system against us, you probably lose more than you win because of how large the flaws are.

Successful managers adapt, Warburton seems to think he's too good for that and if you do go up, he'll quickly realise this.

Did you expect him to do a we're not worthy routine? He's already stated many times that we'll play the same way no matter who we play, nothing to do with lacking respect. If we lose some games by doing that then meh..... It may work in the long term or it may not, its a chance worth taking.

It had everything to do with lacking respect. Your manager clearly either didn't do his homework on us or thought we didn't pose that much of a threat. Either way that's a complete lack of respect for a team that's performed consistently well in division(s) above over the last few years. If he wants to line up in that manner every week, then teams will figure out what you are doing and will just try and line up in a similar fashion to what we did. The 4/5-0 wins you've enjoyed in the first quarter will disappear as teams work out how they have to line up against you to blunt the threat and to cause you trouble themselves.

At the end of the day, we didn't need to get out of second gear at any point on Tuesday evening, yet we should've been 3-0 up at half time. After we did score the third, we basically treated it as a training game as it was pretty clear that Rangers were struggling to really hurt us. If Rangers want to play in that manner every week without a plan b, then you'll have to get better centre backs, a better holding midfielder who can battle in the middle of the park, wingers with an end product and a proper finisher as that all looked lacking against us. Credit to your full backs who both looked dangerous, but frankly the rest of your side really didn't pose us many problems at all.

Except it's not if there is a clear weakness in the game plan. Which you do have. It's arrogant management I think that the one system will work against everyone. We proved exactly how to play against you, if you play that system against us, you probably lose more than you win because of how large the flaws are.

Successful managers adapt, Warburton seems to think he's too good for that and if you do go up, he'll quickly realise this.

You guys put 4 past Walter smiths team, I don't recall this level of fuss over that game.

You won a cup game and showed our players that we still have a fair bit to go if we want to progress. For me this system is the way to go and the more we play it, the more natural it'll be for our players.

Usually after going a few goals down we'd have went route 1 and panicked, we never - we showed patience and continued to play our usual system, looking for chances without hoofing it.

St J fans seem to be upset that most bears are OK with the result, just celebrate your win and be happy.

"At the end of the day, we didn't need to get out of second gear at any point on Tuesday evening" That's a stand free level of trolling there.

We didn't get out of second gear. We were clinical when chances presented themselves (mostly), exploited your weaknesses and defended reasonably well. The build up play for our first goal was decent, aside from that we didn't do anything special and still raced into a 3-0 lead.

Archived