IndyRef2

Crùbag

Can't see a thread here on this yet. If so, merge away.

The figures and recent polling suggest IndyRef2 will be won. Roll on.

Age grps -

16-24: 77%

25-34: 66%

35-44: 54%

45-54: 68%

55-64: 57%

65+: 36%

COc6yGbWwAABNR1.jpg

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not at all convinced it would be won if it was held too soon. Over time yes, it's a nap.

It's easier saying hypothetically that you favour something than voting for it to actually happen 18 months later. I'm sure most Scots want the country to be Independent, British national pride is very much a fringe attitude up here now. The question on the 2014 ballot may as well have been "can Scotland be an Independent country". I don't believe the numbers RE that question have changed as dramatically in 12 months as the polls suggest.

The actual support (which I wouldn't bet on being 50%+ today) will keep slowly creeping up every day as terrified BBC Scotland-reliant pensioners are replaced by teenagers that the dinosaurs in Whitehall and Bath Street don't even know how to scare. Why rush?

I reckon this thread will still be going in 10 years time,should be a interesting read.

Yes, it will be nice to look back and talk about all the shite we've had to put up with being part of this ludicrous Union when we're independent

I'm not at all convinced it would be won if it was held too soon. Over time yes, it's a nap.

It's easier saying hypothetically that you favour something than voting for it to actually happen 18 months later. I'm sure most Scots want the country to be Independent, British national pride is very much a fringe attitude up here now. The question on the 2014 ballot may as well have been "can Scotland be an Independent country". I don't believe the numbers RE that question have changed as dramatically in 12 months as the polls suggest.

The actual support (which I wouldn't bet on being 50%+ today) will keep slowly creeping up every day as terrified BBC Scotland-reliant pensioners are replaced by teenagers that the dinosaurs in Whitehall and Bath Street don't even know how to scare. Why rush?

Now is too soon, that's for sure. LIke many have commented, it's best left until support is a consisten 60% or thereabouts. Suffice to say, support is rising. And not just because the old, bless them, are dying off.

The dinosaurs in Whitehall will get a shock one day.

Any chance of posting the poll on how the majority of the electorate feel the Scottish Government is performing at present. They've got plenty of time to continue on this downward spiral, before people decide whether the SNP are fit to govern an independent Scotland again, because let's face it, they are going to be the only choice eh!? Another five years is about right to judge and reverse the trend. It isn't the Nap you think it is Stubbsy.

Any chance of posting the poll on how the majority of the electorate feel the Scottish Government is performing at present. They've got plenty of time to continue on this downward spiral, before people decide whether the SNP are fit to govern an independent Scotland again, because let's face it, they are going to be the only choice eh!? Another five years is about right to judge and reverse the trend. It isn't the Nap you think it is Stubbsy.

The SNP are only the vehicle to get to independence. Once we achieve our inevitable destination of a proud indepedent nation a whole new political landscape will open up. There may not even be any need for the SNP.

But until we get there, I'm sorry to tell you they're not budging.

Unlucks.

There was a poll a couple of weeks ago that showed more thought the government were doing a good job than a bad job on most of the main devolved areas. Another one recently showed that they thought the SNP were best place to improve those areas too.

I think that says more about the opposition than it does about the SNP tbh - anyone keeping up with the SNP's record in government can't be overly impressed.

I might vote for auld Paddy Harvey for the greens in 2016. I'd love him as my MSP.

To be honest 2021 sounds about right for the next vote.

Highly unlikely IMHO. A second referendum would require another Referendum Act to be passed in Westminster. Do you honestly think that a future Conservative or Labour government would introduce and support it?

The previously unresolved issues would need to be dealt with or negotiated conclusively - EU membership, currency (Scottish Pound/Sterling/Euro), defence, government, debt allocation, etc. They would affect the polls and the result of a second referendum.

Alex Salmond said that last year's referendum was a "once in a lifetime opportunity". He was right then and it's difficult to see how he could be proved wrong.

Highly unlikely IMHO. A second referendum would require another Referendum Act to be passed in Westminster. Do you honestly think that a future Conservative or Labour government would introduce and support it?

The previously unresolved issues would need to be dealt with or negotiated conclusively - EU membership, currency (Scottish Pound/Sterling/Euro), defence, government, debt allocation, etc. They would affect the polls and the result of a second referendum.

Alex Salmond said that last year's referendum was a "once in a lifetime opportunity". He was right then and it's difficult to see how he could be proved wrong.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/scottish-independence-sorry-david-cameron-you-cant-prevent-second-referendum-scotland-1513014

James Kelly is a only pro-independence blogger rather than a constitutional lawyer. This the key part.

"Renowned Scottish legal expert Professor Robert Black left a comment on my blog a few months ago, setting out his view that the Scottish Parliament possesses the power to call a consultative referendum, within certain parameters.

That being the case, it's perfectly possible that Holyrood's presiding officer might certify a Referendum Bill as being within the parliament's remit, and then leave it for the courts to decide."

A consultative referendum would not bind the Westminster Parliament and it would be the Supreme Court in Westminster that would decide under such a scenario.

Archived