Thursday Night Football 2015

lichtie23

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like i said, it's very soft, but technically correct.

https://vine.co/v/iWPOJE637en

No it was technically incorrect. The rule states:

ARTICLE 14

TWISTING, PULLING, OR TURNING THE FACEMASK.

No player shall grasp and control, twist, turn, push, or pull the facemask of an opponent in any direction

Note: If a player grasps an opponent’s facemask, he must immediately release it. If he does not immediately release it and controls his opponent, it is a foul.

That Defensive play just doesn't get any better the more you watch it.

Let Rodgers out the pocket, give him time to throw. Then don't get anyone in front of the TE, who's just watched the ball all the way

Certainly not as blatant a call as the one involving Dumervil a few weeks back, but I would reckon that would draw a flag far more often than not. Can't understand why players put their hands anywhere near the face when they must know that it's almost certainly going to be penalised.

Lions D was poor on the hail Mary, but I thought they were even worse on the Rodgers rushing TD.

Certainly not as blatant a call as the one involving Dumervil a few weeks back, but I would reckon that would draw a flag far more often than not. Can't understand why players put their hands anywhere near the face when they must know that it's almost certainly going to be penalised.

Lions D was poor on the hail Mary, but I thought they were even worse on the Rodgers rushing TD.

There defence for the Aaron Rodgers rushing TD was also terrible

So interested in stopping the pass, they had no focus on what the play actually was.

Worst of all they've actually been much better than they were at the start of the season. Probably helped by Stafford actually getting the opportunity to make some plays.

Im aware of what the rule states. But he hooks it with his thumb and twists it?

Even in the slow-mo you posted, it is apparent that he doesn't hook anything. In the very same slow-mo, the time that his thumb actually touches his facemask is about 2 seconds so probably less than 1/2 second at true speed. If that is not immediately then I don't know what is.

It doesn't matter if he lets it go in half a second or not, you can't twist the mask at all. The letting it go immediately refers to when you grab the mask and let it go without twisting or pulling it. As soon as it moves it's a penalty.

It doesn't matter if he lets it go in half a second or not, you can't twist the mask at all. The letting it go immediately refers to when you grab the mask and let it go without twisting or pulling it. As soon as it moves it's a penalty.

You are wrong. The whole article is predicated on the grasping and another action such as turning, twisting etc. It may be interpreted as you are describing but that is not the rule. If you look at the penalty it doesn't even mention the grasping.

Have a look at the examples provided by the NFL themselves.

ETA: Why the VP of officiating says he isn't convinced it was not a facemask it tells it's own story. I agree that it looks like he grabbed and twisted it at full speed but on the slow-mo it is obviously incidental contact. All the more reason for all plays to be reviewable when they are potentially game changing.

You are wrong. The whole article is predicated on the grasping and another action such as turning, twisting etc. It may be interpreted as you are describing but that is not the rule. If you look at the penalty it doesn't even mention the grasping.

Have a look at the examples provided by the NFL themselves.

ETA: Why the VP of officiating says he isn't convinced it was not a facemask it tells it's own story. I agree that it looks like he grabbed and twisted it at full speed but on the slow-mo it is obviously incidental contact. All the more reason for all plays to be reviewable when they are potentially game changing.

The 5 yard incidental facemask penalty was ditched years ago. It doesn't matter if you don't mean it - if you rotate someones helmet by direct contact you will draw a flag.

Look at the attached image - that is a facemask all day long.

The ability to review this play would have changed nothing. Was there irrefutable evidence to overturn the call on the field? No. They would have upheld the penalty.

post-2588-0-27680300-1449272998_thumb.pn

Archived