Scotlands last genuine world class player?

RobbieD

Aye playing hundreds of games for man utd when they were getting to 3 cl final isn't that big a deal eh. Typical talking down of Scottish players imo, I have a friend who is Italian, they think Craig Gordon is brilliant over there he could have got a move to a top Italian club any time he wanted.

Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, John O'Shea etc have all played 'hundreds of games for man utd' and were regulars at some point during their time but will largely been seen by most as squad players.

Darren Fletcher is little different to those listed above. Its not a case of talking down Scottish players, quite the opposite by the likes of yourself.

Comparing John O'Shea with Darren Fletcher for f**k sake. Scottish cringe at its finest.

As someone whos Irish but has lived in Scotland most my life I have kept an eye on both international teams over the past 20 years. As international careers go O'Shea has been a better player, and not just because he has achieved way more at this level. If you were to suggest to Ireland fans O'Shea was anyway near world class you would be laughed at and rightly so.

If I were to compare the two ability wise I would say Fletcher would be a bit better over all but not by much really.

*Puts on tin hat and awaits 'world class' melt-downs*

Phil Neville, Nicky Butt, John O'Shea etc have all played 'hundreds of games for man utd' and were regulars at some point during their time but will largely been seen by most as squad players.

Darren Fletcher is little different to those listed above. Its not a case of talking down Scottish players, quite the opposite by the likes of yourself.

The parallel with Nicky Butt or Phil Neville is about right.

Like Fletcher, players good enough to play for Man United, but surrounded by the genuine class acts that made Man United a formidable power.

Did he not keep Carrick out of the team before his illness?

He may well have, and Fletcher's work rates were infectious.   Fletcher was a better midfielder for Man Utd, than Juan Sebastian Veron.   And I'm not accepting any arguments that Fletcher was a better footballer. 

Yes, I think so.   He's also quite a bit worse that Carrick, and I don't think Carrick is even close to "world class".  

Fletcher is a top boi though.

Fletcher is better than Carrick. The comparison to n eville and butter is laughable. Man utd are one of the two biggest clubs Iin the world, during the most successful time in their history fletcher was the first name on their team sheet every big game they had. That's a fuckin stellar career that means he'd have strolled into the starting 11 of virtually any club or international side in the world., Italy Brazil bayern Munich juventus. That's the very definition of world class.

Well, that puts the Fletcher vs O'Shea debate to bed, at least   :lol:

“John O’Shea is the same. The two of them have matured to the level where they are now key players for our club."

I wouldn't put any stock into what a manager says about a player while they're still at the same club. It's just a record of what they think the player needs to hear, not what the manager believes. Not saying it isn't true in this instance, just that there's no way of knowing.

Fletcher is better than Carrick. The comparison to n eville and butter is laughable. Man utd are one of the two biggest clubs Iin the world, during the most successful time in their history fletcher was the first name on their team sheet every big game they had. That's a fuckin stellar career that means he'd have strolled into the starting 11 of virtually any club or international side in the world., Italy Brazil bayern Munich juventus. That's the very definition of world class.

"I'm sorry Andrea, your chances in the first team will be limited now we've bought Darren Fletcher. Might be best to find another club.."

"I'm sorry Andrea, your chances in the first team will be limited now we've bought Darren Fletcher. Might be best to find another club.."

Nobody said that you can't make a sensible point on a football forum without people being wankers and unfortunately they're full of people who don't know anything about football but think they do.

Pirlo was the best in the world in his position give or take but all these clubs would have wanted fletcher if he chose to leave. It's just Scottish cringe and lack of football understanding going on here I'll let the children have their thread.

That's a pretty remarkable post, considering there's only one person having a childish temper tantrum and claiming to know more about football than anyone else.

That's a pretty remarkable post, considering there's only one person having a childish temper tantrum and claiming to know more about football than anyone else.

well imade a rreasonable state me about Gordon and fletcher and explained it. Since then all its been is people saying nah that's not true cause i say so, without backing it up at all or having any qualifications tomsay so with any authority. I'm perfectly confident i do know more about football than those replying so far based on their replies.

But whatever I've made my point.