GASTON

He is a good keeper that's all but he has a few chinks in his armour.. Cross balls, I don't have a lot of confidence with him actually winning them.. Distribution..is not very good at times.. Shot stopping..he has had a few, Elgin being a highlight, but every keeper in the league will save his team points at times. He will not be going to a team in the premiership,he just isn't good enough

I haven't seen all the keepers yet but for me he is just a good keeper nothing more nothing less.

1 minute a hero next minute the pantomime horse

Would disagree with that.

IMO he could easily make the step up to the Premiership. Some of the saves he has pulled off for us the last year or two have been frightening. As for cross balls, I'm certainly not concerned when a cross comes in the way i was when Colin Stewart was in goals.

Its very hard for fans to judge other teams players as we only seen them a few times a season, but I wouldn't replace Gaston with anyone else in this league. He is an outstanding goalkeeper.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would disagree with that.

IMO he could easily make the step up to the Premiership. Some of the saves he has pulled off for us the last year or two have been frightening. As for cross balls, I'm certainly not concerned when a cross comes in the way i was when Colin Stewart was in goals.

Leaving aside the obviously yawning gap between being better than Colin Stewart and being a top flight goalkeeper: if he is easily capable of making the step up, why did he either i) receive no offers to do so in either of the past two summers or ii) receive one and continue to play under The Relegator, and last summer, take the step down into the seaside leagues?

The poster you responded to is much closer to the mark. He's a good Championship level goalkeeper, so we can have few complaints on that front. For my money, his command of cross balls and use of the ball could be improved; more significantly, I'd expect a goalkeeper to be a much more prominent organiser of the defence than Gaston, at the higher levels. The lower leagues are notorious for inflating any 'good shot stopper' into some sort of unappreciated star - it didn't make David McGurn a genuine top flight goalkeeper then, and it doesn't make Gaston one at the moment.

A top flight team will occasionally make a 'Samson' of it and sign some complete diddy between the sticks; we're dealing with the rule, not the exception though.

If we compared the stats on how often a keeper saved a point(s) with how many point(s) his errors directly caused Gaston would comfortably head the list. It is nonsense to imply that if we were promoted next season he should be punted. He came to the game late and is showing the benefits of regular coaching.

His distribution is always quoted as a weak point but it's really not bad at all.

How many times does his kicks either end up directly with the opposition keeper or straight out on the sidelines?

The answer to that is too many!

He does not command his box very well either like I see a lot of other keepers do, yes I am happy that he pulls off some good saves and keeps the goals out but any keeper in the league could do that at any time.....any keeper!

I'm sure it was Gaston that was in goals for them that day.

Best Keeper in the league though? :lol:

It wasn't. Not that having 3 goalkeepers would have made any difference that day.

On loan at Stranraer you mean?

Regarding this Morton keeper... He will hopefully succeed in delivering his main target set by his club this season... 'Try not to concede 10 goals in 90mins'

Caraux was in goal that day, however as GiGi says it would've made no difference anyway.

Leaving aside the obviously yawning gap between being better than Colin Stewart and being a top flight goalkeeper: if he is easily capable of making the step up, why did he either i) receive no offers to do so in either of the past two summers or ii) receive one and continue to play under The Relegator, and last summer, take the step down into the seaside leagues?

The poster you responded to is much closer to the mark. He's a good Championship level goalkeeper, so we can have few complaints on that front. For my money, his command of cross balls and use of the ball could be improved; more significantly, I'd expect a goalkeeper to be a much more prominent organiser of the defence than Gaston, at the higher levels. The lower leagues are notorious for inflating any 'good shot stopper' into some sort of unappreciated star - it didn't make David McGurn a genuine top flight goalkeeper then, and it doesn't make Gaston one at the moment.

A top flight team will occasionally make a 'Samson' of it and sign some complete diddy between the sticks; we're dealing with the rule, not the exception though.

Just because you are not playing in the Premiership doesn't mean you are not gd enough to potentially make the step up. Jamie McDonald was playing Championship football for years before Killie signed him. Was he not good enough for all those years and then suddenly became good enough?

The 12 premiership clubs might have been happy with their goalkeepers or brought in others from elsewhere. It doesn't take away the fact that in my opinion, he could easily compete in the Premier league and I'm sure many other fans, players, managers etc will agree with that. You don't, which is fair enough.

Just because you are not playing in the Premiership doesn't mean you are not gd enough to potentially make the step up. Jamie McDonald was playing Championship football for years before Killie signed him. Was he not good enough for all those years and then suddenly became good enough?

The 12 premiership clubs might have been happy with their goalkeepers or brought in others from elsewhere. It doesn't take away the fact that in my opinion, he could easily compete in the Premier league and I'm sure many other fans, players, managers etc will agree with that. You don't, which is fair enough.

No he wasn't.

:huh: Not really. A loan spell at QOS and a season at Falkirk.

But aye, players do get better. Especially 'keepers, who get much, much better the more experience they have.

There's no evidence that other managers agree with this, given that he didn't receive any offers in either of the past two summer transfer windows. Unless Scottish football is flooded with top-flight level goalkeepers of equal ability, which at least would explain why its outfield talent is so piss poor.

Archived