Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

:(

Awell at least he lost respectfully and if he had avoided Nadal or Federer I reckon he would've made the semis at least. Still only 22? Great prospect and will definetely do Scottish tennis proud.

Fantastic game of tennis...a couple of points here and there were the only difference. On another day it could have been the same score but for Murray. Andy's serve still lets him down and once he sorts that out he is definite top 6/7 material. On the day though Nadal just came up with some unbelievable shots to dig out the win. Best match of the tournament and one of the best I've see this year B)

• 2 weeks later...

Murray just won his 2nd ATP title of the season and 3rd in all with a 6/2,6/3 demolition of the hapless Fernando Verdasco in St Petersburg. Murray is now only a handful of points outside the race for the season ending Masters Cup....a good week in the Paris Masters could see him squeeze into the top 8, which would be amazing considering he missed half the season :huh:

Murray loses in three sets to Gasquet in the q-f in Paris and his late bid to make the Masters Cup fails.

Wee bit unlucky to lose the first set to the only break, could have gone either way. Then Gasquet completely fell apart and Murray took the second set 6-0. Took the first game of the final set easily too and missed a couple of great chances in the first two points of Gasquet's first service game to jump away in front. I feel if he'd taken that and most likely the game he'd have won. Instead Murray had a long battle to save his own next service game which he did eventually but fortunately. Lost his third one and never looked like getting it back to be honest.

Gasquet is now 8th in the Masters race and will get in unless he loses his semi final to Nalbandian AND Baghdatis goes on to win the tournament.

Fernando Gonzalez qualified this afternoon despite his first round elimination in Paris when Robredo went out to Baghdatis which meant that whilst either Murray or Gasquet could catch him they couldn't both do it.

Murray finishes no better than 10th in the list and indeed would drop a place if either Nalbandian or Baghdatis wins the tournament. Still, considering he missed a chunk of the season including two majors he did very well to even get close.

Murray finishes no better than 10th in the list and indeed would drop a place if either Nalbandian or Baghdatis wins the tournament. Still, considering he missed a chunk of the season including two majors he did very well to even get close.

Indeed, disappointing he has fallen just short after his storming finish to the season but as you say it was a fine achievement to come so close given he was out for a few months (and missed probably the part of the season from which he would have been aiming to get a lot of his points). If he can stay injury free next year he should be well capable of going into the top 10 and consolidating there.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Andy Murray has announced he will no longer be working with Brad Gilbert.

He is going to be one of these "coach a year" types clearly. I assume now the LTA will tell him he is funding his own coaching from now on.

Not good that we have Gilbert on such a lucrative contract now though, good coach though he is. Not really worth paying a 7 figure contract to someone coaching Alex Bogdanovic and Jamie Baker!

"But the time has come to move on to the next stage of my career.

"I am ranked 11 in the world and can now afford to pay my own way and so will now hire a team of experts each to fulfil a specified role in the development of my tennis and fitness."

Mmmm...

His brother decided he was ready to smbrace "the next stage of his career" when he dumped his doubles partner and has hardly won a match since.

This is a strange move. It's not like Gilbert is some joker like Petchey - he is a top 3 world coach. Who is he going to get that is better? Agassi didn't exactly struggle for fitness with Gilbert's regime either.

"I am ranked 11 in the world and can now afford to pay my own way and so will now hire a team of experts each to fulfil a specified role in the development of my tennis and fitness."

Mmmm...

His brother decided he was ready to smbrace "the next stage of his career" when he dumped his doubles partner and has hardly won a match since.

This is a strange move. It's not like Gilbert is some joker like Petchey - he is a top 3 world coach. Who is he going to get that is better? Agassi didn't exactly struggle for fitness with Gilbert's regime either.

He will be employing John Collins to bring some much need flair to his game.

Mmmm...

Well I don't pretend to be a tennis expert and who's to say what internal friction there may have been between them that was as counter-productive as it was productive. But this is a big gamble from Murray it seems to me as an outsider. If he regresses now then he'll always stand accused of having not had the dedication to go on with a top coach who has a proven track record. Tim Henman was never really the same player after he split from David Felgate in my opinion.