Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

The Ross Hutchins thing was so obviously an April Fool, it was even announced as such shortly afterwards. Anyone believing it must also believe in the tooth fairy I would think. :lol:

I can't see the new coach being Ivan Lendl, he would seem too serious and professional for Murray's liking. It would be good move if Murray would actually commit to it and listen to what he was being told. In reality he would be get bored pretty quickly I would think.

Has Djokovic been manually injecting steroids into his temple? f**k me.

The bloke is on fire. Has cut out the double faults and improved his net game. Net result is a winning machine. Fascinating to see how he gets on during the clay court swing.

The Ross Hutchins thing was so obviously an April Fool, it was even announced as such shortly afterwards. Anyone believing it must also believe in the tooth fairy I would think. :lol:

It was after 12. :ph34r:

:lol:

Sue him for breaking the rules then. :ph34r: I must admit it was a pretty poor effort, but with him being very good friends with Hutchins it was quite obvious. Not quite as bad (but not far off) as when Caroline Wozniacki claimed during the Australian Open that she'd been attacked by a kangaroo, only to have to call a second press conference to say she was only joking when everyone started getting concerned.

I'll be interested to see who the new coach is, given that Murray said he would like it decided before the clay court season starts. He has asked for a wild card into Monte Carlo, which starts on Monday, so not long to make a decision if he wants it sorted before then.

And another decent win. Although Simon got injured at the start of the second set, Murray is starting to resemble a top tennis player again. Will be a strong favourite against Gil to set up a likely semi final against Nadal.

I watched it. Thought Murray done okay first set, at times unbeleivable play in the second and by the third he looked like he just didnt have it in him.

From 3 straight defeats to a semi final on clay I think he can regain alot of confidence lost.

It's amazing what a serious dose of confidence can do for someone. I don't know if Murray has worked with the Adidas player development team, Darren Cahill and Sven Groeneveld, properly yet but it would seem a few words of wisdom from David Haye has helped turn things around. It's a shame that the elbow injury seemed to bother him at the start of the third set today as he absolutely dominated the second set (Nadal only hit 3 winners all set). Murray admitted that the injury affected him more than it should have done: Murray interview

Nadal still won so you can't exactly go overboard, but that's only the second set he has lost at Monte Carlo in the past five tournaments including this one. The ranking points for Murray will come in very handy as well for making sure he stays ahead of Soderling, therefore avoiding the top three until the semi finals rather than possibly facing one of them in the quarters in the upcoming tournaments.

• 4 weeks later...

I put a few pounds on Murray at about 4/1 when he was about to win the second set. Decided to let it ride, and what a poor decision that was. :ph34r: Djokovic seems to have mastered the art of the net cord at crucial times. The whole match rested on the net cord when Murray were serving for the match at *5-4 15-0 in the final set IMO. It wasn't your usual net cord either, it bounced up a bit before going over. Djokovic looked like he'd given up as he saw it hit the net (he also landed two net cords in one game to break Nadal to win the first set in Madrid last week, perhaps he means it :D ). That gave him a new lease of life and from then on, Murray bottled it under pressure yet again. Two double faults, on second serves which were out by miles, in that tenth game of the set. Djokovic played well from 5-5, but Murray just doesn't believe he can win the big matches against the best players and it showed once again. Feel sorry for all those people who backed Murray at 1.11 when he was serving for it! I'm a bit annoyed Murray didn't win, but I should've known what would happen.

Good to see Murray back playing at a playing at a pretty good level though. A win tonight would've made the world of difference to his self belief, but should still enjoy a decent summer.

Novak really did get the rub of the green today with the net cords. He really should have lost that match.

I wasn't even betting on that match, but I imagine it would have been a trading paradise.

Indeed it was. Djokovic from 1.2 starting price went to 1.04/1.05 when he got ahead in the second set. About 1.33 at the start of final set. Murray was 1.11 serving for it 30-15 up. Murray went to about 1.4 when Djokovic was 0-30 at 5-5. I wasn't looking right at the end but the matched total was certainly over £30m near the end of the final set.

I am foolish as I'd layed Djokovic at 1.28 and if I had any sense I'd have layed the 1.25 on Murray as he was about to serve for it and been celebrating a very pleasing profit at the end no matter who won. Net cord changed everything though, I'm 99% sure Murray would've won but for that, and it was the luckiest net cord I've ever seen. It's always better to be lucky than good, and unfortunately for Murray Djokovic is very good as well as being very lucky.

That match just reinforced my belief that Murray will always keep falling short when it matters. He can talk positively and talk a good game, but when it comes down to it, he just hasn't got it in him to get over the line when it matters against the top players. He can beat the players outside the top 10 with his eyes closed, but he's never going to win a grand slam unless it gets handed to him by all the top players getting knocked out.