Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

I think from a technical standpoint Murray is still a very good player, unfortunately just doesn’t have the body to compete over 5 sets anymore. We could still see a decent amount of success in tournaments that use the shorter 3 set format.

He’s a bit unlucky he wasn’t born 10 years later to be honest because I’m convinced that had his contemporaries been guys like Zverev, Thiem and Tsitsipas rather than Djokovic, Federer and Nadal then we’d be looking at double digit grand slams, but he just had the bad luck that his prime came right in the middle of the strongest era of the sport. 
I get what you are saying about having far more if born 10 years later but part me think his legacy is even greater having won 3 slams in this era of tennis. And I'm pretty sure the man that he is he would rather have 3 slams in an era with the 3 greatest players of all time than 10+in an era with significantly less competition.

Well I never thought I’d see that again. Andy charging around the Centre Court, screaming like a mad man. Frustrating us with easy misses then playing absolutely world class winners.

He’s an absolute legend - right up there with Chris Hoy in my eyes when it comes to Scottish sporting greats.
He is so far ahead of Chris Hoy, Hoy can't even seen him. Chris Hoy rode a bike around a fucking circular track ffs. Murray is a significantly greater Sportsman than Hoy.

I get what you are saying about having far more if born 10 years later but part me think his legacy is even greater having won 3 slams in this era of tennis. And I'm pretty sure the man that he is he would rather have 3 slams in an era with the 3 greatest players of all time than 10+in an era with significantly less competition.
I also think that Djikovic in particular being of a similar age, pushed him even further. Had he not been in this era, would Murray have pushed himself to be as good as he is/was? Tough one to know for sure.

He is so far ahead of Chris Hoy, Hoy can't even seen him. Chris Hoy rode a bike around a fucking circular track ffs. Murray is a significantly greater Sportsman than Hoy.
You clearly don't have the first clue about what it takes to be a top class cyclist.

Both Murray and Hoy will have put hours into their sports and both are up there as the best we've produced.

For me though, the greatest individual sportsman we've produced is still Jim Clark.

Hamilton is another ridiculous shout for best British, he didn't have to compete with Schumacher, Prost, Lauda etc throughout his career.

I just had to Google who Jim Clark was there.  Never heard of him, another daft shout for best Scottish.

Isn’t cycling just a competition at who is best at hiding their drug habit? Armstrong was brilliant at that for years, and won everything.
Anyway, Cam Norrie looking very good just now. Two sets and a break up against an Aussie and cruising through to round three.

Hamilton is another ridiculous shout for best British, he didn't have to compete with Schumacher, Prost, Lauda etc throughout his career.
I just had to Google who Jim Clark was there.  Never heard of him, another daft shout for best Scottish.
Not knowing who Jim Clark is says more about you than anything else. It's incredibly hard to rank people in different sports. Clark, Hoy, Murray and Ken Buchanan could all very justifiably be in a discussion about greatest Scottish sportsperson

Cam Norrie thumps Alex Bolt in straight sets to reach the third round where he will face either Federer or Gasquet.

On current form I’d expect him to beat Gasquet and would give him half a chance against Federer who was really struggling against Mannarino in round 1. 

54 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

This is Hamilton's legacy problem in F1. He never really had a great rival. Who would you say he was against, Vettel? Rosberg? Hardly Senna/Prost, Fangio/Moss, Schumacher/Hakkinen.

But in Scottish terms, Clark is the best F1 driver - even better than Jackie Stewart. In fairness, Stewart has said this as well.  

9 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
59 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Not knowing who Jim Clark is says more about you than anything else. It's incredibly hard to rank people in different sports. Clark, Hoy, Murray and Ken Buchanan could all very justifiably be in a discussion about greatest Scottish sportsperson

It really doesn't.  I'd wager most users on this forum won't have a clue who Jim Clark was.

2 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It really doesn't.  I'd wager most users on this forum won't have a clue who Jim Clark was.

I'm inclined to agree. I'm an F1 fan so know who he is, and have watched documentaries about the man. But if you're not into F1, would you know much about a driver who died over 50 years ago?

Just now, scottsdad said:

I'm inclined to agree. I'm an F1 fan so know who he is, and have watched documentaries about the man. But if you're not into F1, would you know much about a driver who died over 50 years ago?

Who's career achievements were no where near as impressive or had as many as Andy Murray,  Absolutely laughable shout.

Just now, TheScarf said:

Who's career achievements were no where near as impressive or had as many as Andy Murray,  Absolutely laughable shout.

Steady on...

F1 (alone) - 2 world championships, 33 pole positions and 25 race wins (from 72 races), won 100% of available points in two seasons, record percentage of laps led in a season, and still holds the record for races where he led every lap, got pole, fastest lap and win.

Add to that he won the Indy 500 , British Touring Car Championship, French F2 championship and the Tasman Series three times. 

He died at 32 and could have won more - but I reckon that he stands well enough on his own. No where near as impressive as Andy Murray? I'd argue that point with you. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

Steady on...

F1 (alone) - 2 world championships, 33 pole positions and 25 race wins (from 72 races), won 100% of available points in two seasons, record percentage of laps led in a season, and still holds the record for races where he led every lap, got pole, fastest lap and win.

Add to that he won the Indy 500 , British Touring Car Championship, French F2 championship and the Tasman Series three times. 

He died at 32 and could have won more - but I reckon that he stands well enough on his own. No where near as impressive as Andy Murray? I'd argue that point with you. 

Was he up against the 3 greatest race drivers of all time when he won all these races?

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Was he up against the 3 greatest race drivers of all time when he won all these races?

He was one of the 3 greatest racing drivers of all time. 

But the point about who he was up against is fair enough. His opponents at the time include Graham Hill, Jack Brabham, John Surtees, Denny Hulme...and many more. 

2 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Motor racing isn’t a sport. The fastest car usually wins. Stick them all in the same car and I’d be far more interested 

That's Formula 2. You can watch it on Sky Sports if you're interested. 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

He was one of the 3 greatest racing drivers of all time. 

But the point about who he was up against is fair enough. His opponents at the time include Graham Hill, Jack Brabham, John Surtees, Denny Hulme...and many more. 

No, then.

So he was better than the likes of Schumacher, Prost, Lauda?

Edited by TheScarf