Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Andy Murray is a Scotland’s greatest ever sportsperson. Not whoever the fuck your think is.
He is. They're really is no great argument.

But you being a complete dick in your ignorance about Jim Clark wasn't a great look.

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

He is. They're really is no great argument.

But you being a complete dick in your ignorance about Jim Clark wasn't a great look.

It's hardly ignorant to not know about some driver, not sportsman, from the 60s who is never mentioned these days in any walk of life.  Over 90% of folk on here would have to Google the name Jim Clark.  Again, that isn't ignorance.  You fud.

Andy is clearly the greatest, if you don’t believe that then you are clearly deluded. I’d say Chris Hoy is 2nd. 
If we are talking about most successful Scottish sportsman it would be Alex Ferguson by a long way. 

Is grass the most unpredictable surface? 
Possibly this year more than others as it's been two years since anyone has played on it. It's a particular problem for those who have broken through over that period - they'll be ranked highly without ever having played a big tournament on grass.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

It's hardly ignorant to not know about some driver, not sportsman, from the 60s who is never mentioned these days in any walk of life.  Over 90% of folk on here would have to Google the name Jim Clark.  Again, that isn't ignorance.  You fud.

Sure its not particularly ignorant to not know he is if you're not into motor racing.

But given you acknowledge you had no idea who he is or what he achieved it was pretty ignorant to then immediately start firing out posts trying to discredit his achievements and claiming that he wasn't actually all that great a racing driver. I think a pretty high percentage of people who know what they are talking about would rank Clark ahead of Niki Lauda for example. There's an argument he was better than Prost and Schumacher too to take your other two examples. I think he would be in the top 5 of most people's lists, there's certainly a lot of older folk who were around at the time who would have him at number 1.

None of this is to say he is 'greater' than Andy Murray or whatever, just that most of the arguments you were making about Jim Clark yesterday were pretty misinformed, he is widely viewed as one of the best racing drivers of all time, he was certainly comfortably the best driver in the world in his day during what was a very deep era for drivers.

1 minute ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Sure its not particularly ignorant to not know he is if you're not into motor racing.

But given you acknowledge you had no idea who he is or what he achieved it was pretty ignorant to then immediately start firing out posts trying to discredit his achievements and claiming that he wasn't actually all that great a racing driver. I think a pretty high percentage of people who know what they are talking about would rank Clark ahead of Niki Lauda for example. There's an argument he was better than Prost and Schumacher too to take your other two examples. I think he would be in the top 5 of most people's lists, there's certainly a lot of older folk who were around at the time who would have him at number 1.

None of this is to say he is 'greater' than Andy Murray or whatever, just that most of the arguments you were making about Jim Clark yesterday were pretty misinformed, he is widely viewed as one of the best racing drivers of all time, he was certainly comfortably the best driver in the world in his day during what was a very deep era for drivers.

Anyone suggesting Clark is Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson is laughable and ludicrous. 

42 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Anyone suggesting Clark is Scotland's greatest ever sportsperson is laughable and ludicrous. 

A few times you've suggested it's "laughable" that the achievements of perhaps the greatest racing driver of all time is on a par with, or better than, the fourth best tennis player of his generation. There is a case to be made either way but to be so dismissive of Clark isn't a great look. 

In 50 years someone will be saying "Andy Murray? Never heard of him. To suggest his achievements are anything like xxx xxxx is laughable and ludicrous" as we tend to look to our own generations of sportspeople. 

It's difficult enough comparing F1 drivers of different generations, never mind comparing across sports. But on Clark, even now half a century after his death, he is revered. The Times listed him as their greatest ever F1 driver in 2009. Ayron Senna visited Clark's old school and spoke to the pupils about how Clark inspired him to become a racing driver. The accolades go on. 

7 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

A few times you've suggested it's "laughable" that the achievements of perhaps the greatest racing driver of all time is on a par with, or better than, the fourth best tennis player of his generation. There is a case to be made either way but to be so dismissive of Clark isn't a great look. 

In 50 years someone will be saying "Andy Murray? Never heard of him. To suggest his achievements are anything like xxx xxxx is laughable and ludicrous" as we tend to look to our own generations of sportspeople. 

It's difficult enough comparing F1 drivers of different generations, never mind comparing across sports. But on Clark, even now half a century after his death, he is revered. The Times listed him as their greatest ever F1 driver in 2009. Ayron Senna visited Clark's old school and spoke to the pupils about how Clark inspired him to become a racing driver. The accolades go on. 

All while sat on his arse in a car.

1 minute ago, MrWorldwideJr said:

Wild that you can call anyone else's contributions laughable and ludicrous when you're coming out with stuff like this.

Mate, this is a thread about sport (tennis in particular).  F1 is not a sport.

I'm a tennis fanatic, and absolutely love the 'Girny loon', but there is certainly an argument to be had that Jim Clark was something very special and may be Scotland's greatest ever sportsman.

Clark is venerated by generations of racing drivers as being one of, if not the most naturally gifted racing drivers ever to have lived (along with the likes of Fangio and Senna).

Now I'm not a huge motor racing fan, but my brother in-law is, and has been since the 60's,  He tells me that in all that time, nobody comes close to Clark as a driver, he rates him higher than Senna (who he thinks is closest to Clark).

I like to think of Murray as the greatest, but there is a certain calibre of individual, that famously won a race by a country mile, whilst only steering with one hand, because his gearbox was broken and he had to use his other hand to hold the gearstick in.

Yours

aDONis

I’m not really a tennis fan. I’m more of an Andy Murray fan tbh.

Do we get to claim Cameron Norrie as Scottish since his dad is from Glasgow?
The press will decide depending on how successful he is surely?

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I’m not really a tennis fan. I’m more of an Andy Murray fan tbh.

Do we get to claim Cameron Norrie as Scottish since his dad is from Glasgow?

I'd say so.