Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Rafa’s done it in five and officially becomes the goat. For now, anyway.
21 slams, unbelievable scenes. Weren’t his knees meant to have went about a decade ago? That was one of the greatest slam final wins of all time, IMO.
He’s went two sets down to the US Open Champion, who’s a 25 year old at his peak and playing on his favourite surface.
Rafa’s long past his best, he’s turning 36 in a few months. He’s also never been that great in Australia, having just won it once in 2009. He’s been struggling with injuries in the last year and many thought he had won his last major. It’s no wonder the experts had Medvedev’s name on the trophy when he went two sets up.
Of course Nadal defies all logic, digs it out and wins it in five with one of the best comebacks you’ll ever see, in any sport. What a legend.
He’s not just the greatest tennis player of all time, he’s one of the greatest athletes of all time.

3 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’m not sure who I think is the GOAT out of Rafa and Djokovic (both have more to give, IMO) but I do think we can now say with confidence that Federer is 3rd of the 3. 

Did Federer not pick up a few “cheap” slams before Rafa and Djokovic were around?

8 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Did Federer not pick up a few “cheap” slams before Rafa and Djokovic were around?

Yes, he beat some utter nobodies. Marcos Baghdatis ffs.  Gonzalez from Chile too off the top of my head. Both in Australia. Even Robin Soderling i’d class in that group. Had a white hot year in May 09 to May 10 then disappeared without a trace. 

24 minutes ago, Donathan said:

I’m not sure who I think is the GOAT out of Rafa and Djokovic (both have more to give, IMO) but I do think we can now say with confidence that Federer is 3rd of the 3. 

Peak Federer beats both IMO, beautiful to watch.

4 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Good chance with Nadal's dominance on clay he'll make in 22 slams. That'd be pretty much unassailable. 

Djokovic is usually a stick on for Wimbledon and the US open is usually the one that’s a bit more of a lottery so 22 for Djokovic is within reach 

Rafa figured out Medvedev from the middle of the second set, and only his own nervousness fucked that second set.

It shows the difference in ability from Rafa’s generation to the latest, that the three top guys in this generation have lost slam finals from being two sets up.  All of them.

I can’t see Medvedev having any chances on the natural surfaces.  But if it’s any consolation this might be the last time we see anyone from This golden era win a slam on a hard court.

I feel the GOAT argument is a bit daft mainly as each of the big three have talents that are specifically suited to a surface.  We have 65% hard court, 25% clay and 10% grass.  If we were to switch those about to reflect each players best surface it would be a different result.

Novak’s low error game is suited to hard courts more than the others, however he can be exposed on faster courts.  Hence his record at the Australian Open and US Open differs significantly.  Think if one of the hard courts was changed to grass or clay, he’d still do okay as his low error games suits any surface that is medium or slow paced.

On Grass Federer is the best however he’s lost finals to both Nadal and Djokovic there.  Djokovic only has five due to the injuries to Murray.  If Murray never had the back or hip injuries Murray would have five.  Although changing two of the slams to grass wouldn’t really have that much affect as the years he was dominant he was also winning the hard court slams.

Clay is Nadal.  65% clay tournaments with two being clay, Nadal would have over 30 slams and none of them would be close.  In slams Nadals record against both is superior, although helped be his ability on clay.

Without Federer’s brilliance to drive Nadal, we wouldn’t have been at the level to get here.  The emergence of both Murray and Djokovic pushed that level even higher.  Without each other Nadal, Federer and Djokovic wouldn’t be as great.

Collectively they’re the greatest ever to play the sport.  No one can touch them.