Andy Murray Latest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Andy is dropping the bombs today, he will skip the full clay season as it is not good for his body.

He will play Sasha Bublik in the first round of Rotterdam and then potentially Felix AA in the next round.

He will be in the top 100 tomorrow so should not need wild cards for Miami and Indian Wells.

Good decision by Andy to swerve the clay, he was never really any good on it anyway.
Keep himself fresh for the grass and what you’d assume is a Wimbledon swan song in the summer.

Del Potro announces his retirement.
Legend
I've clicked like, but not really for the content. If there was one match I wouldn't have been too annoyed at Andy losing, it would have been the Rio Gold medal match. Really sorry to see Delpo retire, a career latterly ruined by injury.

I have seen Del Potro play live twice - in the Davis Cup in Glasgow and in the US Open in 2017.  The thing that struck me the most was the sound of the raquet hitting the ball when he unleashed a forehand.  Incredible.

Nadal and Federer have never met at the US Open.  The closest it ever came to happening was in 2009 and 2017.  If both won their matches they would have played that historic match.  Both years the Tower of Tandil intervened.  Beating Nadal in straight sets in 09 and winning his only slam by beating Federer.  Also worth noting in that run he also beat Cilic in the QF.  In 2017 he destroyed Federer in the QF and took Nadal apart in the first set, but his backhand just wasn’t up to standard and Nadal wore him down.

In 2016 he reduced Djokovic to a weeping mess at the side of the court as he knocked him out in the first round of the Olympics.  He then beat Nadal to secure at least a silver and in 2012 beat Djokovic to take the bronze.

A five set epic in Glasgow ended Murray’s Davis Cup run, and he went on to win the Davis Cup that year.  A quite brilliant tennis player at his best, sadly ruined by injury. 

His tennis resume may only say one slam and one Masters, but he is worth more than that.  Davis Cup, two Olympic medals and the only player to have played all of the big four in Masters finals.

On 07/02/2022 at 07:12, Brummie Clyde said:

Yes, amazing that Nadal's form dropped off a cliff after his doctor got done for giving loads of athletes performance enhancers.

The Carl Lewis of tennis.

It's extraordinary that Roger Federer thinks that he can return at 41 after several months off due to serious injury.

I have seen Del Potro play live twice - in the Davis Cup in Glasgow and in the US Open in 2017.  The thing that struck me the most was the sound of the raquet hitting the ball when he unleashed a forehand.  Incredible.

Nadal and Federer have never met at the US Open.  The closest it ever came to happening was in 2009 and 2017.  If both won their matches they would have played that historic match.  Both years the Tower of Tandil intervened.  Beating Nadal in straight sets in 09 and winning his only slam by beating Federer.  Also worth noting in that run he also beat Cilic in the QF.  In 2017 he destroyed Federer in the QF and took Nadal apart in the first set, but his backhand just wasn’t up to standard and Nadal wore him down.
In 2016 he reduced Djokovic to a weeping mess at the side of the court as he knocked him out in the first round of the Olympics.  He then beat Nadal to secure at least a silver and in 2012 beat Djokovic to take the bronze.
A five set epic in Glasgow ended Murray’s Davis Cup run, and he went on to win the Davis Cup that year.  A quite brilliant tennis player at his best, sadly ruined by injury. 
His tennis resume may only say one slam and one Masters, but he is worth more than that.  Davis Cup, two Olympic medals and the only player to have played all of the big four in Masters finals.
His Wimbledon semi final against Djokovic in 2013 was superb. The length and physicality of that match certainly benefitted Murray in final

Murray out to Auger-Aliassime 6-3 6-4 in Rotterdam, who will go onto play Norrie in the quarters.
Quite an interesting point on match point where Murray was beaten but a let was played as his hat fell off during it [emoji16]
Mattered not as Felix saw it out with no real issues.

Draw in Doha, will be rematch against Taro Daniel and then a match against Bautista-Agut.  If he gets through to the second round he will soon learn what it was like to play against Andy Murray.  As Bautista-Agut just does exactly what Murray does, makes you play another ball.

On 26/01/2022 at 18:12, Loki said:

As well as Felix played, he bottles every big match he’s ever played.  There will be plenty of opportunities for him though, to get over that hurdle.  

Felix finally gets his first ATP title after the 9th attempt.  The level he now can play at is well known to be as high as anyone, but now with that breakthrough you’d hope he’d start to not throwing away leads.  He played so well today that a player as good as Tsitsipas hadn’t a chance.  Also Murray’s defeat doesn’t look as bad either.

He’s certainly be top four or five soon, and with that comes opportunities.  Not sure he can play grass as well as the more experienced players but certainly can win the US Open this year.

I can understand the whole "my body my choice" stuff, but he's tried to be underhanded and sly about this the whole time. He'll no doubt get a rapturous reception at Wimbledon, the shitebag.

On 12/02/2022 at 15:22, Loki said:

Draw in Doha, will be rematch against Taro Daniel and then a match against Bautista-Agut.  If he gets through to the second round he will soon learn what it was like to play against Andy Murray.  As Bautista-Agut just does exactly what Murray does, makes you play another ball.

😂 6-0 6-1 equals the worst defeat of his ATP career.  Roger Federer also beat him by the same score line in the ATP Finals in 2014.