Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

17 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I saw the last 20 minutes. If I didn’t know any better I’d have said he was injured. He was barely moving.

I kinda agree but I thought he wasn’t moving much to protect his recent ankle injury.  The court was quite slippy and very quick.  All the other matches were serve dominated due to that.

He was very quick to accept defeat, just don’t think he’s going to go balls out and risk the rest of his career for 250 in Stuttgart.

Goes to Queens next week, and has withdrawn from the Queens qualifying but I suspect that as he will get a wild card.

It will probably be Andy’s last ever match at Queens today. He’s playing the young Aussie Popyrin in the first round at 3pm. Neither are seeded, but on current form there isn’t much hope for Andy, who’s lost his last five matches. The Aussie is ranked 51st in the world and Murray is 97th.

Watched a bit of this, he was moving much better and Popyrin couldn’t live with the slices and angles he was getting.

Great win for Andy, don’t think many seen that coming given his recent form. His best win this year. Will play another unseeded Aussie in the next round, Jordan Thomson. Looks very winnable and a little run here would set him up nicely for his last Wimbledon.

Murray retires at 4-1 down in the first. I watched it and he injured himself in the warm up but didn’t default for some reason.

Murray had a procedure on his back to remove a cyst and is likely to miss both Wimbledon and the Olympics. Possibly the end of a magnificent career. 

Would be a pity if he doesn’t get to retire on his own terms after playing at the Olympics or Wimbledon. 
Would also not be surprising if he doesn’t. You can tell every time he goes on court now that his body is just giving up on him. 
Yet another gruelling and rushed rehab to get back on court for the sake of a swansong would be more hassle than what it’s worth.

Watching the Andy Murray documentary on BBC1 and getting a bit misty eyed. Sad to think that someone who has delivered some of the greatest sporting moments of my lifetime may just have one last swansong left, or even worse might be finished already.

Posted (edited)

And Wimbledon is underway. Heather Watson out already in straight sets.

On centre court the champion Alcaraz is  a break down in the first set to the pineapple headed Estonian qualifier Lajal, who is playing magnificently.

Edited by Lex

No surprise Murray dropping out he isn’t fit enough. Wee testimonial match with his brother in the doubles to say goodbye.

Goffin gets his spot against Mahac.

6 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Andy should concentrate his efforts on getting fit for a final bow at the US Open which, despite what the Wimbledon obsessed British media tell us, was the scene of his greatest triumph in 2012.

Even though he's said he won't  much beyond the Olympics? I agree about flushing meadows being his greatest triumph though