Andy Murray The Greatest and General Tennis Chat

Bryan

Tomic withdraws from the match with Murray due to a bad back. Big feartie.

See Murray and Soares were knocked out in the first round. They've been pretty run of the mill so far this year. Meanwhile Murray's ex John Peers and Henri Kontinnen seem to be going from strength to strength. 

Aye, that was much better from Murray today and he'll be pleased with some of the moments he came through. Quick chance for some retribution against Ramos Vinolas now too.

Thiem probably deserved it today. Awful 1st set from Murray, sneaked the second but probably should've won the 3rd. Awful last game to lose it. Missed an absolute sitter at 30-30 in the final game.

He is serving and volleying a lot more though. Would be nice to more of that as he is very good at the net.

I thought Thiem's power hitting was superb today, really forced Murray back, meaning Murray couldn't find the depth in his shots to push Thiem back.  Both guys showed sublime quality at times.  I really enjoyed the match.  I think Murray is still struggling a bit with the elbow, his power on his serves isn't quite there yet.

Hopefully Thiem doesn't disappear in the match against Nadal, as it could be an outstanding match.  Of all the guys without a slam I think he is the most likely to get a surprise win at the French, although Nadal is getting his groove back.

Murray will be disappointed he lost that, but he got a few more matches on clay.

Quite the game getting played on BT Sport just now - Sharapova playing Bouchard who hasn't spoken highly of her getting to come back after her drugs ban.

The two playing some high quality tennis and Bouchard has just broken after a 13 minute game for a 6-5 lead in the first set.

Quite the game getting played on BT Sport just now - Sharapova playing Bouchard who hasn't spoken highly of her getting to come back after her drugs ban.

The two playing some high quality tennis and Bouchard has just broken after a 13 minute game for a 6-5 lead in the first set.

I'd say this one has some pretty good aesthetic quality to it.

Bouchard is a cleverer tennis player than Sharapova but just doesn't have the technique of Sharapova.  A deserved first set for Bouchard, and hopefully she can go on and win this match.  She badly needs a big win.  The player of 2014 is in there somewhere.

Did Clownfils turn up again today?  I seen that he won the first set 6-0, lost the next 6-0, and then lost the tie break in the last set 7-0 :lol:  Only Monfils can go from brilliance to dogshit in the flick of a switch.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Did Clownfils turn up again today?  I seen that he won the first set 6-0, lost the next 6-0, and then lost the tie break in the last set 7-0 :lol:  Only Monfils can go from brilliance to dogshit in the flick of a switch.

I like Monfils, but if you'd told me that was the scoreline in a match and asked who the players involved were, Gael Monfils would be the first answer. Only he can have such nonsense results.

Comfortable, mainly because his serve was on form. Didn't give away any cheap points and I don't think Copil even got near a break on his serve.

Coric will be much tougher next round, but decent start to the tournament.