St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle - 17/10/2015

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH I think a few people around me clapped a bit after both goals, and a large section clapped Gary Miller when taking throw ins in front of us.

All adds to the feeling I'm not overly disappointed we lost to Partick Thistle, such a cuddly wee side who deserve a pat on the head sometimes.

Well done Thistle!

Yup. I enjoyed the Mannus article too. Would buy again.

Only our third win in Perth since the mid 70s apparently :o

Good stuff. I do the interviews, so thank you. :) I was impressed with you guys yesterday. Already knew that you passed the ball around well, but you were also physically dominant and threatening in an attacking sense. You'll be fine if you continue to find the back of the net a bit more regularly.

Thought there was enough encouragement in the Saints performance yesterday. We've played worse against Thistle in Perth over the past few seasons and taken something. Cummins and Craig missed two free headers from six yards, MacLean sees a shot diverted inches wide by Davidson and then has the ball pinched off his toe after rounding the keeper, whilst Cerny makes a good save from Cummins' header and a great save from Craig's volley. Then there is obviously the penalty incident.

No denying it was two great strikes for the Thistle goals but could they have been prevented? The second definitely as Lappin is sleeping and Thistle had already used the same throw a few minutes earlier. With the first, Craig gets out to Miller well enough but why is Lappin so deep when the cross comes in and Pogba is the only real threat? If his starting position is better, maybe Craig can be closer to Miller? Brilliant strikes though. My main defensive complaint though would be letting Thistle get in so many balls from the right in the first half.

What did folk make of O'Halloran when he came on. He's clearly a massive threat on the ball but does him drifting all over the field demanding it to feet benefit us? Also thought Shaughnessy was too determined to give him the ball as quickly as possible at every opportunity and ended up forcing a lot and giving the ball away. We don't need to give O'Halloran the ball every time just because be wants it.

Agree O'Halloran started to wander infield a bit, thought he was just trying to get on the ball more. He's always been iffy in the past doing that, drifting across the pitch and keeping the ball too long until he eventually loses it when we have many players committed forward, but I thought most things he did yesterday were positive. We played a lot of long balls forward in chasing the game as Thistle had a lot of players back to defend their lead, and I thought the Thistle centre backs were mostly comfortable in the air against Cummins and Maclean, so wondered if MOH was just getting frustrated and went looking for it more.

I think maybe Joe could use MOH as a decoy a bit, as I do remember when Mikey gave him the ball and surged forward with 2 players on him and it seemed Joe felt he had to give him the ball back when the pass wasn't really on. Overall though, I think O'Halloran has been so effective this season that I'm happy for Joe just to give him the ball and let him get on with it!

Still think it was a really poor decision to leave him out. Last season if he came back from missing a win then I could understand it.. But this season I genuinely haven't seen a bigger individual attacking threat from any of the teams we've played so far, he has been that good.

As you say though, Thistle probably felt they deserved a result at McD as they've always given us a tough match and rarely had anything to show for it previously.

Archived