St Johnstone vs Partick Thistle - 17/10/2015

Was this the year we had that last minute penalty against Livi? Then a week later we lost 1-0 to either Airdrie or Clyde! Haha, remember Clyde.

Aye, we were 4 behind with 2 games to go after that penalty and lost the next game to Airdrie, which relegated Clyde although I think St Johnstone won that day anyway. We then got pumped 4-0 at Dundee on the last day.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most memorable game between the sides for me has to be the first division match during the first ever season at McDiarmid. Both teams had started the season really well and it was first v second when we eventually met in October.

Saints won 2-1, but this is what a (almost) full house at McDiarmid looks like!!....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=abcjl-P81No

Though I also can still remember the shock in the pub after playing one Saturday when we heard Roddy Grant had scored a hat trick against us for Thistle in a 4-1 (?) humping a few years later!!

Simon Lynch scored for Airdrie in that game after a howler by Willie Kinniburgh who, iirc, was our very own Efe Ambrose - fine for 89 minutes of a game, with one minute where he'll make an absolute mess of something really straightforward...

I missed the 4-0 game at Firhill where Paton scored. :(

Fun Fact: my first ever Thistle game was the 4-4 draw at Firhill in one of the cups (think it was the challenge cup), as a friend dragged me along, with Thistle losing on penalties. iirc Saints and Thistle also hit the woodwork a couple of times in ET. Rutkiewicz and Samuel were playing for Saints along with some other very decent players, can barely remember who was in the Thistle side that day. Still remains one of the best games I've ever been to, though thankfully I've seen far better results/wins since then (5-1 against Dunfermline, 5-0 against Morton... missed a few other scuddings we've dished out in that time though)

My first memory of Partick would be the game after we'd demolished Dundee 7-2, Sky decided that they'd put us on the TV that week. I'm sure it was a midweek game, so as I had school the next day, I wasn't allowed to go (I was about 6). Not having Sky, my next door neighbour said I could watch it at her house, what followed was an utterly boring 0-0.

Though I also can still remember the shock in the pub after playing one Saturday when we heard Roddy Grant had scored a hat trick against us for Thistle in a 4-1 (?) humping a few years later!!

Scored a last minute goal to complete his hat trick.

That season we were relegated on goal difference by 1 goal from Partick. So if Roddy hadnt scored his 3rd we'd have stayed up.

That season we were relegated on goal difference by 1 goal from Partick. So if Roddy hadnt scored his 3rd we'd have stayed up.

God had to kill Jesus (briefly), so Roddy gets away with it in my book.

I remember Partick for the early game in the title winning season, we'd been scudded at home by Dunfermline the week before and I went to Firhill full of confidence that it wouldnt happen twice, four half volleys later....

I remember Partick for the early game in the title winning season, we'd been scudded at home by Dunfermline the week before and I went to Firhill full of confidence that it wouldnt happen twice, four half volleys later....

Ian Maxwell pinging a screamer in from about 30 yards.

#scenes

John Robertson (CB) overhead kick/flick

Ian Maxwell (LB) 18 yard-box screamer

Paul Paton (RB) 25 yard pelt

Gary Harkins (CM) 8 yard tap-in

If my memory serves.

I enjoyed that day.

Aye, we were 4 behind with 2 games to go after that penalty and lost the next game to Airdrie, which relegated Clyde although I think St Johnstone won that day anyway. We then got pumped 4-0 at Dundee on the last day.

That 4-0 game was glorious. Total dead rubber. I seem to remember the Thistle fans implored Rab Douglas to "swing the bar" and when number 3 went in he duly obliged.

My first memory of Partick would be the game after we'd demolished Dundee 7-2, Sky decided that they'd put us on the TV that week. I'm sure it was a midweek game, so as I had school the next day, I wasn't allowed to go (I was about 6). Not having Sky, my next door neighbour said I could watch it at her house, what followed was an utterly boring 0-0.

I went to that game but have no recollection of it. In fact I'm sure it was a Monday night and it was still BSkyB?

I got it recorded by the pub but have NEVER watched the video tape. I think subconsciously it would be the football equivalent of that Japanese horror movie with the VHS tape if ever seen :(

The Rawdee Grant hat trick game was glorious. He was sum boi for the Jags as well as being a Saintees legend. :wub:

I remember our first season up we beat St Johnstone 1-0 thanks to a bizarre Ray Farningham header. He studded his effort almost straight down from close range but at just enough of an angle to beat Andy Rhodes and sneak into the roof of the net just outwith his flailing glove :)

It was the main game on BBC and there was over 5,000 at the game and I remember Lambie being asked if he was disappointed with the crowd numbers :o

I think the 0-0 game on sky was the reason they didn't show any lower league Scottish football til the age of sevco, total horrorshow.

Also the 4-1 game, roddy g had a hat trick before half time, it was Alex Taylor who scored the 4th goal that mattered so much months later, goals are on YouTube.

John Robertson (CB) overhead kick/flick

Ian Maxwell (LB) 18 yard-box screamer

Paul Paton (RB) 25 yard pelt

Gary Harkins (CM) 8 yard tap-in

If my memory serves.

I enjoyed that day.

I'd be lying if I could remember all the details, I just remember being utterly raging, then realising there was literally nothing we could really do against any of the goals.

Anyway we're likely just going to buy Partick before this game, so lump money on us winning

Not true. Thistle did have a better goal difference than 1 but they had also scored more goals, hence if Roddy hadnt got that last goal, Jags would have still stayed up on the basis of more goals scored. Anyway I was at the Hearts game that day and a draw would have suited both teams.... hearts didn't read the script.

Not true. Thistle did have a better goal difference than 1 but they had also scored more goals, hence if Roddy hadnt got that last goal, Jags would have still stayed up on the basis of more goals scored. Anyway I was at the Hearts game that day and a draw would have suited both teams.... hearts didn't read the script.

But if you take 1 off Partick & add 1 to our gd then we'd have stayed up by 1 goal.

I park on Strathtay Road, usually plenty of parking if you turn up before quarter to three, and even then you'll find some. Not to bad leaving again either, preferable to the stadium anyway

Archived