The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

I dont' think people who weren't around or can't remember Diana dying will ever really appreciate how weird it was.

Peter Sissons' broke down in tears on the news.  I remember seeing footage of an HMV in London opening the day that Candle in the Wind went on sale and people were rushing in and buying armfuls of the single, dozens of CDs.  The fact that the Queen wouldn't fly the flag at half mast, give an address to the nation or go and look at flowers was a national scandal.  Every single town and city had at least one, sometimes more, public space completely filled with flowers and teddy bears.  It was absolutely insane.

And then there was the SFA getting it in the neck for dragging it's heels about postponing the Belarus game which was scheduled for the day of her funeral.

The shop my mum worked in at the time remained closed on the morning of the funeral as a mark of respect. They were so 'respectful' that they only paid those who had a Saturday job for the half shift, even though they had no say on whether they could work in the morning or not.

6 hours ago, printer said:

Poor and arrogant decision by the FAs. Disappointed in the SFA lining itself up with the deplorable FA.

Yup. Shame on the spineless SFA for following their masters in London and bowing to the poppy fascists.

32 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I dont' think people who weren't around or can't remember Diana dying will ever really appreciate how weird it was.

Peter Sissons' broke down in tears on the news.  I remember seeing footage of an HMV in London opening the day that Candle in the Wind went on sale and people were rushing in and buying armfuls of the single, dozens of CDs.  The fact that the Queen wouldn't fly the flag at half mast, give an address to the nation or go and look at flowers was a national scandal.  Every single town and city had at least one, sometimes more, public space completely filled with flowers and teddy bears.  It was absolutely insane.

I remember girls at work preparing to camp out to watch the funeral cortege, getting all excited like they were going to see a band.

Safeway in Wishaw had a fuckin book of condolences. My mate nearly got lynched for writing "Cheers for the half day."

43 minutes ago, H Wragg said:

According to a tweet I read today, the English Premier League started doing it in 2009.

The EPL has a lot to answer for. 

A minutes applause at the start of a game almost every week, black armbands almost every week, applauding during a specific minute in a match, #pray4muamba etc

Kill it with fire.

The one I remember is the Soham murders - absolutely awful double murder of two wee girls.  Every ground in Britain had a minutes silence betore that game.  I remember this because it was a Highland derby that weekend and there was a silence at our game.  After the match I went out for a few pints and as I was waiting in front of the town house with my mate to get a lift home later on I noticed that there were flowers and teddy bears and candles piled up around the spot for the old cross, all for the two wee girls.

I know it sounds cold but what sort of person does that, goes and buys a teddy and puts it at Inverness town house for something like that?  A terrible crime but I just don't understand it.

6 hours ago, thisGRAEME said:

Played on the 13th in 1999:

img_16121.jpg

Here's Paul Scholes, Sol Campbell, Colin Hendry and Christian Dailly all DISRESPECTING OUR BRAVE BOYS AND NOT SHOWING DUE RESPECT!

GIVE THEM SOLDIERS' WAGES AND MAKE THEM CALL THEIR PARENTS.

Colin Hendry must be packing about a yard when he uncurls that thing. 

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I know it sounds cold but what sort of person does that, goes and buys a teddy and puts it at Inverness town house for something like that?  A terrible crime but I just don't understand it.

Same mindset as people who send teddies for the Royal Baby, as if the parents couldn't afford to buy one themselves.

If there is a murder within a community then it makes sense to have some sort of public outcry of grief but to do it in Inverness when the murders are at the south of England then it's just morbid attention seeking. There wouldn't be any such nationwide shock if 2 girls were to be killed in the same way tomorrow I don't think, people have too many forms of alternative media at their fingertips.

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

If there is a murder within a community then it makes sense to have some sort of public outcry of grief but to do it in Inverness when the murders are at the south of England then it's just morbid attention seeking. There wouldn't be any such nationwide shock if 2 girls were to be killed in the same way tomorrow I don't think, people have too many forms of alternative media at their fingertips.

There was an absolutely horrific murder of a child in Inverness around that time and I don't remember a single memorial or event or anything about it.

Was a cinema mgr during the Diana hysteria n we were forced to stop films during the funeral. It was definitely the first time that I can think of for mass national hysteria. Genuinely unhinged behaviour all round. The roasters on social media mewling about fifa are the same sort of bandwagon jumping cretins who live to be outraged over nothing. Surprised Russell Brand hasn't been blamed again.

Never thought Diana was hot either.   Good chance she was murdered by mi5 at the behest of the royal family btw. 

Better chance that she was just too dim to think of doing her seatbelt up when traveling at high speed through town with a driver who'd had a couple