The James McClean Sponsored Poppy Thread

16 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Hmmmm, try asking the inhabitants of the Fountain perhaps?

The get to call it "The Fountain".

They don't get to tell the rest of the city what they've to call the city.

I can't understand what's motivating people to disagree with me here.

18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

What would you do to people who live there who still call it Londonderry? I still ask for a Madras in a curry house so I'm probably biased in this.

Let them, it's a free country. But the name outsiders use really ought to be Derry. For the sake of reconciliation using both is probably needed for the official name. I wonder how we'd feel about this if some of us lived in Londonglasgow. 

We've changed what we call Rhodesia, Ceylon, Bombay, Calcutta, Peking and so on, to respect what the locals call them. 

Is anyone bothered if you call it a Madras?

The get to call it "The Fountain".
They don't get to tell the rest of the city what they've to call the city.
I can't understand what's motivating people to disagree with me here.

If that’s your understanding of the West Bank mate, then I’m out.

27 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Let them, it's a free country. But the name outsiders use really ought to be Derry. For the sake of reconciliation using both is probably needed for the official name. I wonder how we'd feel about this if some of us lived in Londonglasgow. 

We've changed what we call Rhodesia, Ceylon, Bombay, Calcutta, Peking and so on, to respect what the locals call them. 

Is anyone bothered if you call it a Madras?

No, and I don't think anyone should be bothered by people still calling it by its official name from 1662 to 2008, especially if a sizeable local population are still fond of it. TBH I thought that Derry has been the generally accepted name amongst both communities for ages, for the City, but I haven't been there since the Eighties, and I don't feel qualified to tell people what name to give to their own town.

#everybodymatters

Edited by welshbairn

No, and I don't think anyone should be bothered by people still calling it by its official name from 1662 to 2008, especially if a sizeable local population are still fond of it. TBH I thought that Derry has been the generally accepted name amongst both communities for ages, for the City, but I haven't been there since the Eighties, and I don't feel qualified to tell people what name to give to their own town.
#everybodymatters
You went to Derry in the 80s. Brave man

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
35 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
#everybodymatters

Had a girlfriend working there on secondment with flights home paid for her, or me if she wasn't using them. Seemed pretty much like Falkirk. Scariest thing was a bunch of Scousers coming into a cafe when I was having breakfast on the day of a march, with Orange and British military insignia all over the place. 

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
#everybodymatters

Apprentice Boys march with Jacksgranda

1 hour ago, RedRob72 said:

If that’s your understanding of the West Bank mate, then I’m out.

Oh no, a Rangers fan doesn't want to discuss Northern Ireland with me. How will I ever cope without their wisdom, knowledge and balance?

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

#everybodymatters

Whether you think anyone should be bothered by it is kinda neither here nor there. They're allowed to be bothered by it. Or do you insist on calling it Rhodesia? I don't know how the fact it was/is an official name makes any difference. That just tells you that a minority had control.

"I don't feel qualified to tell people what name to give to their own town." - That's literally what the British did when they invaded it.

I call it Derry. I also call it  Bo'ness instead of Borrowstounness, and Caley Thistle instead of Inverness Caledonian Thistle etc ...  

Nowt to do with politics etc. It's just quicker to say. This leave me more free time to get on with the things I enjoy life. Although admittedly much of that saved time has now been  lost writing this post. 

11 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

I call it Derry. I also call it  Bo'ness instead of Borrowstounness, and Caley Thistle instead of Inverness Caledonian Thistle etc ...  

...that's not my name that's not my name!

I respect the everyones right to choose whether to wear a Poppy or not.

I respect the reasons behind the white Poppy.

I respect the positive point of view the Cambridge students were trying to put across this year,

( The real point, not the Daily Mail outrage version)

I find it distasteful to hijack the act of rememberance, 

and turn it in to some 3 ring circus to try and attatch it to some warped cause.

It's about remembering what was lost, not glorifying the slaughter to recruit, radicalise or ridicule. 

Anyway! https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46125448

A sporting contest involving Britain and Germany always brings a special feel as two great rivals meet.

The Games of Remembrance double header on Thursday, 8 November holds even more significance as military teams from the respective sides meet to mark 100 years since the end of World War One.

Nottingham is playing host to both matches, which are being streamed live on the BBC Sport website and on the Red Button. There will also be live text commentary of both games on the BBC Sport website.

The women's match between the British Army Football Association and the German Bundeswehr gets under way at Notts County's Meadow Lane at 12:00 GMT on Thursday, 8 November.

Nottingham Forest's City Ground then stages the men's fixture at 19:00 GMT.